Supplement question

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
Is anyone else taking kelp to supplement their iodine? What brand/dosage do you use?

I recently bought a different brand of kelp, and discovered that it is half the dosage of the Solgar kelp, but both brands recommend one pill a day. What the heck?

Replies

• kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i think when i started kelp my hypothyroidism started i followed the blood type diet i read that seaweeds supposed to help on losing weight but i think i have allergy on it ...its rich in iodine maybe if ur iodine deficient it will work but if your not it might just be bad or maybe it depends on our body's response to it..just get checked first before you try it:)
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i just saw my endo today, and asked about the iodine and coconut oil options. while she supports my using the coconut oil, she absolutely forbade me from doing anything with iodine, saying it could potentially cause my nodules to grow.

that would be catastrophic for me, as i am candidate for removal surgery and dealing with compression and pain.

please see your dr first and ask about the iodine.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My level is low and I have hypothyroidism. I read too much iodine can put into hyperthyroidism. I am taking Kelp from Nova Scotia and Pacific. The bottle says iodine (from kelp) 150 mcg; Nova Scotia and Pacific kelp 300 mg. I take one tablet every 3 or 4 days. No, I haven't checked with my dr. I won't see her til April but I will ask. She (endocrinologist) also told me there is no substitute for synthetic thyroid medication. My family dr put me on Armour (a natural thyroid medication) last month. My confidence in my endocrinologist has wavered.