Black IPAs are confusing.

infamousmk
infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
To quote my great friend 76Tech....

I mean ... It's a pale ale .... how can it be black? Why can't it be an imperial dark ale? We're talking higher ABV and IBUs, so it qualifies as imperial, no? I feel as though this is just a marketing scheme because IPAs have become such a well known thing.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I LOVE Black IPAs so I don't give a **** what they're called. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. Short's is putting one out this week, and I'm going to get one and drink one despite being ridden with the plague.

(To be fair, I've encountered a bunch of beers that were obviously Black IPAs called "imperial dark ale" or "black ale"; I think it's "Black IPA" because it's IPA level hops with the heavier charred malt content of a bitter Stout or Porter).
  • infamousmk
    I would really like them to be called Imperial Black Ales, because it's less confusing. It still says in the name that there will be lots of IBU and ABV, but it doesn't rely on the commonplace "IPA" term to throw folks off.

And yeah, I'm all about some black IPAs, so call them whatever... but it's confusing! lol.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    All of you girls talking about beer, and it being intelligent, is making my randy. Or just thirsty for beer, can't tell.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    All of you girls talking about beer, and it being intelligent, is making my randy. Or just thirsty for beer, can't tell.

It's both...well at least for me anyways.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Imperial black ales are delicious. I'm getting my feet wet with them myself, but the nomenclature needs a tweak. BA is calling one of my faves (Uinta's Dubhe) an american black ale... but Uinta sells it as a black IPA. It could be that they need to prep the uneducated as to what is about to tickle their palate? If you were to just blindly pour it, you'd expect.. or rather.. wouldn't expect that much hop.
  • infamousmk

It's just the beer thirst. Once you get to know me, you realize I'm way more "dude" than "lady"
  • infamousmk
    Imperial black ales are delicious. I'm getting my feet wet with them myself, but the nomenclature needs a tweak. BA is calling one of my faves (Uinta's Dubhe) an american black ale... but Uinta sells it as a black IPA. It could be that they need to prep the uneducated as to what is about to tickle their palate? If you were to just blindly pour it, you'd expect.. or rather.. wouldn't expect that much hop.

That's just what I mean! I think breweries are using the IPA designation to let people know they're about to taste something hoppy when they wouldn't expect it because of the dark malt. But I think many many people understand that Imperial tends to signify that as well, so I vote for that.. American Black Ale works, too.

I mean, a porter is pretty damned black.. but we call it a porter. So, if you call something a black ale, based on our experiences with black IPAs, we should maybe just assume "black" means dark with hops.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I like the terminology of Black IPA because it warns me that it's likely to be IPAish so I can prepare myself. I've historically not been a fan of hoppy beers. I was disappointed when this year's Fade to Black was a Black IPA but I bought some anyway and didn't like it. I could appreciate that it was a good beer it was just not a style that I like. Conversely, I had some of New Glarus' Black Top and really enjoyed it so......
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    That's just what I mean! I think breweries are using the IPA designation to let people know they're about to taste something hoppy when they wouldn't expect it because of the dark malt.

Yeah, when I first saw a black IPA I thought, "ok, strong hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma like an IPA... and, oh, it's dark". It's probably better that way since lots of people are put off by strong hops.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Seems to be a "separated by a common language" thing here

The I in IPA is Indian in UK, not Imperial, stems from Colonial days, sending beer to India, the travel time by sea & heat, changed it's character & taste, hence IPA became a new beer

I agree, you cannot have a dark pale ale, makes a complete nonsense of the language
  • I personally love "black IPAs" although the name was kind of iffy for me. Most of the "black ipas" I've had have ABVs of 7.0 or greater which by BJCP standards would classify it as an Imperial. I believe for competitions BJCP competitions it has to be entered as a Category 23 specialty ale since it is not an officially recognized category yet.

Here's an interesting article about "Cascadian Dark/Black IPA/India Black Ales" http://byo.com/component/resource/article/2072-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dark-ale
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

That's just what I mean! I think breweries are using the IPA designation to let people know they're about to taste something hoppy when they wouldn't expect it because of the dark malt. But I think many many people understand that Imperial tends to signify that as well, so I vote for that.. American Black Ale works, too.

I mean, a porter is pretty damned black.. but we call it a porter. So, if you call something a black ale, based on our experiences with black IPAs, we should maybe just assume "black" means dark with hops.

But Imperial doesn't mean hoppy since imperial stouts aren't hoppy (so super happy because I finally got my hands on a local limited release of an imperial Russian stout that was aged in bourbon barrels). And black wouldn't imply hops either because there are lots of black beers that don't have hops (Shiner has a black, and then there's of course Xingu from Brazil).

I like the "warning" aspect of black IPA. I love IPAs, so it doesn't matter to me, but several of my friends hate them. Hm, maybe they should leave off the IPA because when they accidentally order them, I usually get to drink them...
  • infamousmk
    Well, there is some debate (a few threads on homebrewtalk.com come to mind) about the Imperial designation and whether that really just refers just to ABV or if it can also refer to high IBUs... If I order an Imperial that isn't specifically a darker malted style, I assume it will also be more hoppy. If I order an IPA, I'm going to expect a lighter colored beer, always.

I guess though, that it makes sense to call them Black IPAs, because it clearly points out that 1] it will be darker, and 2] it will be hoppy.

The Imperial may be even more confusing because there is a level of "is it going to be hoppy or not?" to those beers...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Well, there is some debate (a few threads on homebrewtalk.com come to mind) about the Imperial designation and whether that really just refers just to ABV or if it can also refer to high IBUs... If I order an Imperial that isn't specifically a darker malted style, I assume it will also be more hoppy. If I order an IPA, I'm going to expect a lighter colored beer, always.

I guess though, that it makes sense to call them Black IPAs, because it clearly points out that 1] it will be darker, and 2] it will be hoppy.

The Imperial may be even more confusing because there is a level of "is it going to be hoppy or not?" to those beers...

I actually prefer some of the Imperial IPAs I've had to the regular IPAs. Many of them come off as less hoppy to me and I don't know if it's just that they are better balanced or if it's the type of hops being used. I'm given to understand that DFH 120 Minute isn't technically an IPA but I love that beer. The 90 Minute is tolerable for me and it's an Imperial or Double or whatever. The 60 Minute I can't stand. New Glarus' Thumbprint IIPA was very good. There are others I can't think of right now but....... anyways, there you go.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    I like them. And they confuse me.

Rock Art's Black Moon IPA was the first one I had. And I'm still confused. Perhaps I should get some more to sort this all out...
  • infamousmk
    Oh, I definitely recommend we all drink more Black IPAs and get to the bottom of this...
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Oh, I definitely recommend we all drink more Black IPAs and get to the bottom of this...

I'm on board with this experiment. Will report back after further study.
  • mswize
    mswize Posts: 113 Member
    I'm in too! Great idea!
  • I really enjoy Black IPAs. I think the difference is that they have similar characteristics to an American IPA along with flavors like caramel, chocolate etc... that are prevalent in black ales. If I were to see just an Imperial Black Ale, I wouldn't expect it to be anything like an IPA.

I find them really interesting. Like drinking chocolate with grapefruit.
  • I've got one I brewed in the keg now. My husband says it's better than those from our local breweries and we live in Oregon! I think he's just giving me sugar so I keep brewing. :) Cascadian Ale is my term of preference because we wake up every morning and see the Cascade mountains here in the center of the state. It's very much like an IPA with more roasted/chocolate malt. YUMMMM!!! Let's all get a pint tonight. Wish we could get together and share our brews, how fun that would be!