How do you determine your jean size?

Options
Seeing all the recent posts about jean sizes, I thought I might as well ask... How do you determine your jean size?

Skipping the academic curiosity for the moment, it seems like every store I go to sizes their jeans differently - not to mention the differences in materials and cuts. Taking my measurements doesn't seem to help, either; the sizing charts are consistently WAY off when I compare them to the jeans I'm trying on. Add to that how much jeans will stretch with wear, and I feel like I have no idea what size I should be buying. I've purchased the same pair of jeans in two different sizes in the last month alone, and I'm still considering dropping again, because I have so much room after a day's wear.

So, when you're buying new jeans, how do you know which size is right?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    yeah buying women's sizes is rough. i would just try on the size you normally wear and if it's too tight, go up a size. too loose, go down a size. do that until it feels right.
  • Mhay913
    Mhay913 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree jean size can vary widely... I once bought two pairs of jean, exact same brand, size & style, just different colors and they still fit very differently. Also, being tall, half the time once I wash them they shrink and then are too short :/. I generally just pair them with boots so I can still wear them without looking like a dork :). It's generally just a trial and error process until I find a pair that are comfortable. I tend to like ones that are made with a blend of "stretchy" material. That way, paired with a belt, they fit better over a variety of size ranges :)

14792924.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a trial and error process, the cut (curvy, skinny, etc) and the rise (low, mid, high) combinations make the difference about how it fits your body. You also have to take vanity sizing into consideration, that 29 waist may not be a 29 waist, so don't take any size you see personally, just go for the right fit. Even men are subjected to vanity sizing, like what's said in this Esquire article

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/pants-size-chart-090710
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've always bought Maurice's Daphne jeans, mid-rise boot cut. They no longer carry these so when I lose a size I don't know what I will do. Thankfully I have 5 pair in my current size. And hopefully they will last me another 10-20lbs. So I guess when the time comes I will just go and try on and hopefully find a new favorite style. I really hate the sizing on clothes these days.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I go into a specialty store (like the Silver Jeans store) and tell them I want to try on multiple pairs in different sizes and styles. Some cuts require a bigger or smaller size, but the staff is always very helpful. I ask about shrinking and stretching and what to expect. It's all trial and error.
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said - trial and error. If you see a cute pair of jeans, bring three sizes into the dressing room with you - a size that you think you are, and one size down and up. Every brand seems to be a little different and it drives me crazy. And you're right about the stretch - I bought a pair of jeans that fit perfectly but after wearing them for a few hours they were falling off. I try to find jeans with minimal stretch just for that reason. Sometimes that means I have to go up a size but at least I don't have a droopy butt.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said - trial and error. If you see a cute pair of jeans, bring three sizes into the dressing room with you - a size that you think you are, and one size down and up. Every brand seems to be a little different and it drives me crazy. And you're right about the stretch - I bought a pair of jeans that fit perfectly but after wearing them for a few hours they were falling off. I try to find jeans with minimal stretch just for that reason. Sometimes that means I have to go up a size but at least I don't have a droopy butt.

The sales person at the store recommended I buy the jeans, leave the tags on and wear them around the house for 2 hours. If they are too loose return them for a smaller size.