Workouts? Just Diet? Both? What are you doing to get in sha

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
We need more discussions in order to get more members - there are totally more than 9 MFPers living in OC although I notice most of us are in the GOOD part of OC not that icky south county part that the non-natives like so much. HA! (Challenge me on that if you like, but I will win because I know where ALL the good food is)

So here's what I'm doing:

5'6" 171.6 28% Bodyfat...probably... I was 29% in September but I've lost some weight since then.

1) I have a very lightly calorie restricted diet (.5lb/week) and I sometimes dip into it. I also eat my exercise calories - I generally eat between 1700-2100 calories every day.

2) I'm on week 3 of C25k -- we've got day 3 coming up next and then we'll move on to week 4. I'm going to sign up for the "Run for your life" 5k obstacle course (its got zombies!) in temecula which is NEXT october so lots of time to train.

3) I do circuit/strenght training 2x a week with a personal trainer out of her home in Huntington Beach.

4) I eat kind of crappy - mostly whole(ish) foods or less processed foods but I'm not very good about fruits and veggies AND I eat out or get takeout almost every meal. We probably cook 3 meals a week, tops.

Replies

• MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'll play!

5'4" 166.2 32% body fat. I started re-tracking my weight and calories on 10/18/11 and have since lost 13 pounds, so this is what I've been doing

1) I'm using MFP's suggested caloric intake of 1350 calories per day, most days I'm pretty close to that, occasionally I'm under it. My iPhone app likes to yell at me for not eating enough, but I figure why eat if I'm not hungry?

2) I've been walking to the grocery store less than 1/2 a mile from my house and my daughter and I walk to church most Sunday mornings; about 3 miles round-trip. She and I will play Dance Dance Revolution 3 on our Wii, but this week I started Jillian Michael's 30 Days to Ripped DVD set. I can't run due to knee injuries in junior high that cause them to grind with arthritis and my kneecaps will slide out sideways randomly (this all started when I was a dancer and struggled to keep SLIM pants on, so it's not weight related).

3) I don't go to a gym since I'm a single mom and time is precious, so I'm REALLY working on working out right when we get home, but it's causing dinner to be late and a later bedtime for my daughter.

4) I'm watching the kinds of food I eat a bit better; still not a huge veggie fan, and I HATE to cook, so convenient meals are key. But we've started shopping at the Farmer's Market by my house and I've recently switched to gluten-free pastas and I'm finally using the food scale my mom got me for Christmas a few years ago. We try not to eat out because of our budget, but I recently learned that my beloved Philadelphia Rolls (sushi) are lower in calories than I'd thought.

1771784.png
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost the 60+ pounds following a medically supervised HMR diet plan administered through UCI Medical Center. Now that I am in maintenance, I still attend Phase 2 Maintenance classes once a week at UCI.

I also have made exercise a vital part of my program. HMR wants you to burn at least 2000 calories doing exercise (they call it PA -- Physical Activity) a week. I get at least that every week, although my goal now is lower than while in weight loss mode where i exceeded 3500 a week. Right now my goal is 2500-3000 calories burned a week.

I belong to 2 gyms and work out at both. I take cardio classes like Cardio Kickboxing at LA Fitness in Anaheim Hills -- Pierre Pasa -- he is the best!!! I also take evening classes at Sports Club LA in Irvine right next o my office -- usually bootcamp, circuit training, strength conditioning. I also work with a personal trainer there once week. I use the machines (elliptical and bike). I also have a weekly hour's walk up and down a steep mountain road.

I believe in variety in exercise. Make it fun. Keep changing it up. I want to fit in some yoga and cardio dance and maybe Pilates.

Let me give a plug to my Kickboxing instructor Pierre Pasa. Every year he holds a charity event -- a bootcamp, to raise money for a program that feeds the hungry. Here are the details -- if you go you will have a GREAT time and help a good cause. What better way to start Thanksgiving Day? If you want some idea of Pierre's workout, check out the photos on my profile from a fitness demo he did in Brea that I participated in.

Pierre's 7th Annual Thanksgiving Bootcamp For Charity
    Thursday November 24 (Thanksgiving 2011)
    8:30-9:30 am
    $20 Entry Fee -- All proceeds will go to North Orange Christian Church's Storehouse Ministry to Feed People Program
    Fanatics Athletic Club
    22222 La Palma Ave.
    Yorba Linda, CA 92887

Join your community for fun, fitness and fundraising. Organized by Pierre Pasa, one of the best fitness instructors in Southern California. He teaches, among other classes, Kickboxing Cardio at LA Fitness on Santa Ana Canyon in Anaheim Hills and is a fabulous and inspirational instructor.

I will be there!

http://pierrepasa.com
  • BeautySansTheBS
    Options
    *bump*

Right now I'm more in diet-only mode because my fibromyalgia makes it more difficult than I'd like to do a hard-core workout, but I do try to walk for 15 min. a day, either at work, at home, or at the gym. The BF and I are *trying* to get to the gym more, although we're on completely different schedules so I'm working on ways to entice myself to go after work...which, admittedly, isn't working as well as I like.

BUT the more weight I lose, the less it hurts to exercise, and the more I do it!

Diet: on MFP's recommended calorie intake, eating the few exercise calories I do have. I cut out soda about four weeks ago and THAT made a huge difference. I usually stay away from junk food because it's not worth the calories, and not filling, but packaged diet food is still on the menu, for now.
  • OCGeoff
    Options
    I've recently decided to pay attention to healthy ways again...after about a 10 or more year break of just eating what I want and no exercise. When I was younger...through my 20s, I was quite active and worked out and the 30's got away from me with long work hours and school programs and raising a family, etc..so it just seemed right to get life back in balance physically. I started about a month or so ago...not a 'new year resolution' thing. I've modified my food to find a better balance of good-for-you stuff, i.e. mucho greens, higher proteins, less carbs, less sugars, etc.. I've not gone compulsive with it, but am purposeful in changing habits and choices so that they stick with me, not a 'diet'. I've started doing cardio and light weights, 3 times a week to just get my body responding to exercise again. This past week, I've added the 4th day of general treadmill/light jogging. I've lost about 8-10 pounds over the past month. So far, so good. My target is about 10-15 more, then maintenance... I'm also wrangling the cigarette monster too. I found this MFP app/website this past week and it's been helpful in staying focused...
  • tameko2
    Options
    How's the nicotine wrangling coming? It must be tough to change your diet, add exercise, AND stop smoking all at once. My exercise has REALLLLLY fallen off.

I dragged my BF to the gym with me (crap, husband now, whatever) on Monday and got some really heavy lifting in.

TOO heavy. I was sore for 2 days and my deadlift form was craaaaap because I tried a different form that I wasn't used to and I was stupid and didn't deload for it. And I was stubborn and didn't deload the bar on my third set of bench presses when I should have and ended up failing at 4 reps.

The squats were good though!

and I actually did some cardio on sunday. wow its been like 4 days since I did any cardio. That is sad and lazy.
  • OCGeoff
    Options
    Thanks for asking :-> I've been doing baby steps...I made the switch to e-cigs. I get the nicotine in water vapor, removing all of the tar and bad chemicals. As I get comfortable with that, then I'll make the switch to stepping down on other replacements. I started smoking when I was 13 years old and have tried numerous times to quit....pure torture. At least with e-cigs, I can workout without the smoking issues. I have cheated with having a real cig first thing in the morning and the 'other one' on special occasions.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I just thought I'd mention - I'm doing a regimented lifting program now. Tomorrow is Squats, barbell rows (ugh) and bench presses. I am embarrassed to say that my bench press is nearly as heavy as my squat which is not how things normally work for ladies.
  • Elheffe99
    Elheffe99 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm surprised about how many people are in this group. There must be more on here that just aren't "social". Who knows.

Anyway, I'm doing both limited calories (1650 I think) and starting to try to ramp up my exercise. Because I don't belong to a gym and because how well my body reacts to it, I'm running. I hate it though. I've been toying around with doing something on top of that, like yoga or cycling or some simple at home strength routines but haven't figured that part out yet.

I find it hard to eat only 1600 calories so it tends to make me go run so I can eat more food, which I think is funny.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey. I live in Irvine. Used to live in Fullerton. I would pick Irvine over Fullerton any day!
  • Loulousq
    Loulousq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i diet AND exercise. i'm on a 1200 calories diet and bike average of 30 miles a week. I have lost 10 lbs within the past month :) Nice meeting everyone
  • Brandonmacllyr
    Brandonmacllyr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    E-cigs did it for me, you can decrease the nicotine until it is 0. I still vape at 0 nicotine after 2 years.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hello :) New to the group but thought I would post here anyway.

I am currently doing a gym workout 3 days a week for 90 minutes a day. And then 20-60 minute work outs at home 3 days a week. Thats my goal anyway. Also cutting back on the Fat in my diet, trying to increase protein. I got a FitBit and a HRM and use them together to keep track of my exercise calories.