Still smoking and scared!

Options
Hi everyone... needing support and encouragement in all areas of taking back my life and responsibility for my health. I have some respiratory issues due to this long term ugly habit and am 59 years old. Honestly I have been incredibly blessed to be as healthy as I am today after such long term "self abuse"! (also just joined mfp to lose 30+ lbs...thrilled to find your group here as well!)

I'd love to hear any and every story, bit of advice... ANYTHING to get that motivation to at least get started.

Also is anyone familiar with or successful with use of the electronic cig? I am charging mine up as I type and plan to give it a try. Thanks so much for any and all responses!

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I quit 14 months ago after developing blood clots in my heart and lungs.I came too close to dying.I quit cold turkey and I smoked for 45 years.I just climbed a small mountain and last year I could not walk 2 minutes.I have lost 24 pounds and dropped 3 sizes.You must quit now!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have some respiratory issues- THIS

Its a lot more hard and scary thinking about stopping than actually doing it. Best time to stop, since you want to lose weight too. Means you wont worry about putting weight on and your new healthy body will be toxin free.

The electronic cigarette works great for some people, it certainly cuts out a lot of the nasty stuff, unfortunately the nastiest addictive stuff is whats in it. I loved the taste of the menthol one. I smoked normal menthol cigs at the same time as using the ecig so was pointless for me. Theres loads of advice on here get reading :D
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Can I suggest you read my blog on the subject of smoking. I gives a pen picture of smoking issues. JUST REMEMBER, IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO GIVE UP. NEVER.

Rick
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Patty,

First thing I want to stress to you. Quitting is not a life long thing. If you've attempted to quit before, you probably felt like you would miss smoking forever. I know I did, but I found out it wasn't the case. It wasn't easy, but it got better all the time and at some point I was able to say that I would never smoke again. I have not smoked for over 3 1/2 years. I do not miss cigarettes and frankly, I thank myself daily for not needing those stinky things.

As far as the e-cig, I have mixed feelings about them. Remember, quitting is both physical and mental. The physical need for nicotine is gone after 3 days of not taking it in. After that, the only urges you get will be the mental ones. You've smoked for years and it's going to take practice to be a non-smoker. I think the sooner you get out of the habit of sucking on cig or e-cig, the better. But at the same time, I'll say whatever works for you is what you should use. For me, it was cold turkey.

Last but not least. And this is IMPORTANT. Your best chance to succeed, is if you have the right kind of support. I suggest http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ab-quitsmoking It's a forum similar to this and very active with others trying to quit. I practically live on that forum for my first year or so. I probably wouldn't have been successful without it. If you go there and introduce yourself, let me know.

-Kevin
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Its a lot more hard and scary thinking about stopping than actually doing it.

I agree with this. I quit in June 2012 after smoking for almost 20 years. Like most other smokers, this wasn't my first time quitting. The difference was this time I was ready mentally. I knew my health would suffer if I kept on the path I was headed so I decided I needed to finally make the change. I started by reading the Allen Carr book "Easyway to Quit Smoking" (very popular book, most local libraries will have it) which helped get my head in the right spot. After that, I went cold turkey.

For me, the physical addiction was over quickly, as in days or maybe one week. The psychological addiction, however, held its grip much longer. For that reason, I agree with streittk that cold turkey is the way to go. The problem with e-cigs is you still haven't addressed the core issue, which is your nicotine addiction. However, I also agree that whatever works is the method you should use and an e-cig is still better than smoking.

I found that quitting was 80 percent mental and 20 percent physical. This was the easiest quit I have ever had, and I had tried several times before I do credit the Allen Carr book with my success). I went in this time with the mind set that as soon as I put out that last cigarette that "I am now a nonsmoker" and have kept up that attitude. There was no *trying* to quit. Hell no, I did quit. I wasn't trying, I was DOING!

You can do this. We all know how hard it is but it is doable and you will be so much happier when you come out the other side, unscathed, stronger, and breathing easier.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that they do make e-cigs that are nicotine-free. It doesn't help the mental hand-to-mouth habit of course but if I'm surrounded by smokers and reallllllllllly want one, I'd rather have my ecig handy than even THINK about bumming a real one.

I also recommend reading Rickthepreacher's bio and blog, as he suggested. It's a real wake-up call. None of us are immune to the dangers of smoking. We're not invincible. Not everyone gets cancer or COPD or emphysema...but is it worth the risk? Not when you really see what those diseases do to a person and to their life.

Smoking scares me too. I've cheated and felt the consequences, and I worry soooooo much that I'll never STAY quit...100% quit...the hardest part for me is how it feels like a fight. It gets so tiring to constantly fight those feelings, and sometimes I just don't want to fight anymore. But at the same time, if I stop cheating, if I stay 100% quit (which I have recently, thank God), then eventually it won't feel like such a fight. For me, it was very comforting to read what Kevin said...that at first it feels like you'll miss it forever, but eventually you don't. I hope hope hope I get to that point, the point of not missing it at all. But I know I'll only get to that point by staying quit. I don't feel mentally ready but I HAVE to be...I have to stay quit, ready or not.
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Rick, yes I read your story the first nite I came in here and thank you for your candor and coming right out with the truth of what a danger we're playing around with ... thank you! Pat
  • pattypureheart
    Options
    Hi Kevin, Thanks for your reply.... have been trying my e-cig here& there and think the only way is cold turkey. I will check out the forum you suggest and will let you know how that goes too. Thanks so much for your kind words... I hope one day not too far in future I'll be where you are.... with an outstretched hand to pull up another "struggler" from the pit. And it is indeed a pit! what an enemy it really is! Thanks again, Kevin. Pat
  • pattypureheart
    Options
    Melsinct, Yes! getting Allan Carr's book and can hardly wait. watched him and some stuff abt him on you-tube and have a gut feeling it's where the key lies....best to you as you press on! Pat
  • pattypureheart
    Options
    Thanks Moxie.... Yes I read Rick's story and plan to read that Allan Carr book... Do you know abt it? "The easy way to quit smoking"... Check out the stuff on you- tube abt it. Best of luck to you, hang in there , you can do this and so can I!!!