HBA1C Results

Options
Hello,

I recently had blood work done at my doctor and one of the things they needed to check was my HBA1C levels. They are asking me to come in for a fasting blood sugar test as well as they are keen to diagnose me with type 2 diabetes. What confuses me is that they said my level was 52 (7% I think) and from everything I have read, this is actually normal and not high. Am I mistaken? The diagnosis of type 2 diabetes scares me as I am only 26.

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Technically, you need to have two tests in the diabetes range to be diagnosed. This isn't to say you need 2 A1c's or 2 OGTT's or 2 FPG's. Any combination of 2 abnormal results from any of the 3 is enough. You DO have an abnormal A1c and your doctor is now confirming.

Here are the most recent parameters for diagnosis

Fasting Plasma Glucose
    100 - 126 pre-diabetes
    above 126 - diabetes

An HbA1c blood test
    5.7- less than 6.5 - pre-diabetes
    6.5 or above - diabetes.

An Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT)
    2 hour reading between 140-200 - pre-diabetes.
    2 hour blood glucose reading above 200 - diabetes
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was getting confused because the nurse told me that anything above 50 A1C is diabetic but everything I found online said 53. I can now see why they are concerned.

Dumb question (I guess): If I lose enough weight and stay active, is it reversible?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Reversible as in cured?

No.

It is quite possible and desirable to be in such tight control that a random A1c or a random FPG would not indicate you have diabetes. However, regardless of your level of control, an OGTT would always result in higher than normal blood glucose readings, so diabetes can never be said to be reversed.

It is possible to reverse and or avoid altogether the consequences of high blood glucose levels though (neuropathy vision problems, etc) by achieving and maintaining tight control though
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been told that you can reverse diabetes with enough weight loss.

As I have lost weight, I have been able to reduce my medications down so that is exciting too.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I am so glad doctors like to tell jokes. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: When I was diagnosed, I weighed 149 and lost 25 lbs and I still have diabetes. Whenever I tell new healthcare providers that I have diabetes their response is always "You don't fit the general profile of someone who would have diabetes" I guess the perception is you have to extremely overweight, out of shape and lazy. In my personal expierence, I can't be cured but my disease can be controlled.
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I am so glad doctors like to tell jokes. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: When I was diagnosed, I weighed 149 and lost 25 lbs and I still have diabetes. Whenever I tell new healthcare providers that I have diabetes their response is always "You don't fit the general profile of someone who would have diabetes" I guess the perception is you have to extremely overweight, out of shape and lazy. In my personal expierence, I can't be cured but my disease can be controlled.

Do you get the feeling that with type 2 Dm diagnosis, the Doctors feel like you have done it to yourself and should be looked down upon because you are a subhuman (you know: lazy, can't control your eating) If they see a older fat person they are sure you are a diabetic and not as good as they are. You could have led a healthy lifestyle and be cool like they are? OK, sorry, I'm ranting. Maybe I just need to see a different Doc.
  • melissam226
    Options
    Ugh, the "cure" myth.

I remember when I was diagnosed I was told if I lost weight I'd be "cured." That implies you can eat whatever again and not worry about your blood sugar--which is bull. I lost over 60 lbs and it's been 12 years since the initial diagnosis. At first my diabetes got better but now I need insulin everyday regardless of how much I eat and work out.

The worst part is the doctor wouldn't believe me when I said I lost weight until he got my med records from 10 years ago. And when I told him the insulin made me gain about 10 lbs in a year when I've been eating well, watching cals, and working out, he told me to "lower calories to 1200 and run an hour everyday and don't eat any carbs at all."

Right.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have heard the cure thing as well but when I ask these people who claim they are cured (I've even asked once on a thread here in MFP) I never get an answer. I want to know do they drink a glass of orange juice and then test their blood sugar and what are the results? I do have a lot of weight to lose... but diabetes runs in my family so I know that even when I lose weight that doesn't mean I won't have issues again later on in life even if I maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.

I'm mad at myself for gaining so much weight knowing that my dad had diabetes and so did his dad even though I know that even if I had lived healthier in the past I might still have it... but I would have liked to have a few more (or a lot more years) before it came to that.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Saying or believing that by losing weight you will/can reverse diabetes is the same as saying that being fat caused diabetes. The reality is it is the other way around, being overweight is a symptom of diabetes.

Type 2 diabetics were on the path of diabetes long before it was diagnosed. In my opinion there is no such thing as PRE-diabetic. It's really just the early stages of diabetes. Insulin Resistance (same thing) is also the early stages of diabetes. A good diet can slow down the progression. Tight control on blood glucose can prevent damage.

You did not eat your way to diabetes.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Saying or believing that by losing weight you will/can reverse diabetes is the same as saying that being fat caused diabetes. The reality is it is the other way around, being overweight is a symptom of diabetes.

Type 2 diabetics were on the path of diabetes long before it was diagnosed. In my opinion there is no such thing as PRE-diabetic. It's really just the early stages of diabetes. Insulin Resistance (same thing) is also the early stages of diabetes. A good diet can slow down the progression. Tight control on blood glucose can prevent damage.

You did not eat your way to diabetes.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

Thank you for the web site. I appreciate it, and maybe I do need to change doctors.
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You're never cured.... but you can control it with diet and exercise. You will always be "diabetic" but you don't always have to take meds. That's the way I understand it anyway. My A1C was 8.1 last August and I got it down to 7.2 in January. Hoping to get it around the 5.0-6.0 range with hard work.
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I guess I am just scared that diabetes could be a slow death sentence for me. I watched both my grandparents die slowly from the diagnosis and the disease in general scares the hell out of me. I went to a doctor about 4-5 years ago who tried to tell me that my BG levels weren't good but I refused to listen. This year I have made it my goal to lose some weight and get healthy so my husband and I can try for children (and I want the energy to be able to run after them :) )

Thank you all again! I really need the support on this one :)
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's only a death sentence if you don't follow your MD's recommendations and the diet. I used to not care and then when my mom, who's been diabetic for almost 20 years, was diagnosed with kidney failure and has neuropathy so bad that she cannot feel her feet or barely walk, I decided I needed to step up my game and take control now when I'm 28.
  • misskris1215
    misskris1215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got my results back yesterday in the mail I'm prediabetic and it was 5.9...
  • vpenning
    vpenning Posts: 8 Member
    Options

As I have lost weight, I have been able to reduce my medications down so that is exciting too.

I have lost a considerable amount of weight, Got off my diabetes medications as well as other medications...but, you give me a regular Coke and a piece of pie, and I will be shooting numbers over the moon.

Diabetes is caused by a malfunctioning pancreass, Beta cells no longer exists, You cannot replace them, they are gone, By losing weight, you put less stress on the cells that are left, but if you do not keep tight control of you diet and exercise all the time, you will have high numbers, and be right back where you were.

There is no known cause for diabetes. So, if you do not know what causes it...you really cannot say it is cured.

Weight contributes, but is NOT the cause, 20% of type 2 diabetics are thin and active at diagnosis,,,,If there 25 MILLION Americans alone with diabetics, that would mean that 20% of that is NOT overweight, That is a heck of a lot of people to let the world know that weight is NOT the cause.
  • vpenning
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I guess I am just scared that diabetes could be a slow death sentence for me. I watched both my grandparents die slowly from the diagnosis and the disease in general scares the hell out of me. I went to a doctor about 4-5 years ago who tried to tell me that my BG levels weren't good but I refused to listen. This year I have made it my goal to lose some weight and get healthy so my husband and I can try for children (and I want the energy to be able to run after them :) )

When I was diagnosed I met a man who had had diabetes for over 50 years, He was in his late 90s. He died in a car accident, At the time of death, he was without diabetic complications.

I am friends with several diabetics that have good health, and are active with no complications. They have been diabetics for over thirty years.

I myself have had diabetes for years, and am blessed with good health. As said above, it does not have to be a death sentence. By being on MFP you are showing you want to do something about your health and meal plan. That is the right course, You too can be healthy into your 90s!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Many, many people are diabetic, or prediabetic for between 7 - 9 years before they are diagnosed.

We are lucky, because it was caught while we can prevent irreparable damage.

In 1989, I had a few episodes where my BS whould hit 60 or below, and I'd turn into a non functioning lump - Not good when working on an ambulance. They'd stick my finger, and drag me to the deli for a juice infusion to get me thru the shift.

A few things made me go "hmmm" ..afterall, we are the ones that truly know our bodies, and know when somethings wrong.

An injury after a car accident (where I fell asleep at the wheel -?) took over 4 months to heal, daily headaches on waking (blamed on forgetting to open a window)

A family history with a brother and mother with diabetes.

Yet it took until, December of 2012 to be diagnosed. Finally - a name to all the "little" ailments that had been driving me nuts.

Yes I am overweight, but for many years I was told "Eat more" because I'm not really an eater. remembering to eat snacks every few hours, is a real pain, remembering lunch? The old me never ate lunch.

Most of us didnt eat our way into diabetes, our genes and heritage did more to that end.

Finding the right Doctor is a MUST. The first Dr I saw, saw me as an overweight person who ate too much, I then saw his wife, who see's me as a person with Diabetes, who is losing weight, who keeps forgetting to snack/eat, a Dr who cheers every little weight loss and looks like she is happy for me.
    A difference of Night and Day.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I get that too!
    I have type2 diabetes, med-free for now.
    It can be controlled to an extent. But eventually I will have to medicate. For now, if I maintain my exercise and diet I'm good to go.
    My last A1C=5.5
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Be Scared! do the research and get it under control.
    heres a page for you:
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/a-z.aspx

Diabetic Neuropathy, it can occur in any system of the body, and you don't always have symtoms..
  • vpenning
    Options

Be Scared! do the research and get it under control.
    heres a page for you:
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/a-z.aspx

Diabetic Neuropathy, it can occur in any system of the body, and you don't always have symtoms..

It is true. You may already have some at time of diagnosis. I had neuropathy in my feet at time of diagnosis, and I had a friend that had it in the stomach and just thought she had heartburn.

You should have a thorough exam to be sure you do not already have it, and don't forget to have a dilated eye exam to be sure you do not have any signs of retinopathy. Another quiet complication that you may already have. In addition, full lab work including urine analysis should be done to make sure your kidneys have not had any damage. Being a diabetic, and allowing blood sugars out of control can cause all types of complications....and, they may already be there by the time you have been diagnosed.

The main killer of diabetics is heart disease, so in addition to your blood glucose, pay attention to your blood pressure, cholesterol and other markers for good health.

Losing weight, and getting your lifestyle under control is the best way to step forward, but be sure that you do not already have something that you need to address.

And, BTW, my mild neuropathy was reversed by my lifestyle changes.