whats your carb intake?

Options
adrie315
adrie315 Posts: 12 Member
I've been doing LC for about 6 months and have had great results but I've always stayed around 20 carbs a day. I know I could go up some but I still have about ten more pounds i'd like loose. So my question is what is your carb intake while still loosing weight? ( I know this will differ from person to person) I'm just curious what other people consider their "max" carb intake?

:)

Replies

• corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm not super low carb. My macro split is 50/25/25 fat/protein/carbs. That gives me 100g total for carbs (if I eat all the way up to my high end for calories), but I usually don't go over 20% of my calories from carbs (my fat usually hovers around 60%). It works well for me, but I know that's higher on carbs than what many here do.
  • nyclowcarb
    nyclowcarb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    4 weeks on induction lost 30 lbs..60 more to go...I am at 20..some days around 8..rare days go to 22...

it's easier than I thought but in the doldrums of winter there are less parties and social functions so the plan is to build this into my lifestyle by summer and holiday season--which I kind of have already.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I just started LCHF and I'm struggling to get under 70 carbs! What do you eat? I've seen 2.6 loss though so i'm happy!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My average daily net carbs is just about 30g. On Saturday that typically goes up and on Monday it comes way down. I only eat fruit of any sort once a week, I never eat bread, pasta, cake, rice, potatoes, etc. I do eat root vegetables at times, including rutabaga, kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips and carrots. I generally strive for any carbs I eat to have a net carb per serving of 5g or less. Sometimes, like yesterday, I have something that gets up in the 10g range for a serving. But spaghetti squash and homemade tomato sauce was too good to pass up.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I just started LCHF and I'm struggling to get under 70 carbs! What do you eat? I've seen 2.6 loss though so i'm happy!
    As i said in another post, but with more detail

Avoid at all costs because it's horrible for our bodies
    - wheat, barley, rye in any form
    - beer
    - bread
    - cake
    - pasta
    - anything soy based
    - all vegetable "oils" .... yet another way to turn grains in to food
    - any other way that people make grains in to food.

Neutral foods - high in carbs, but no gluten, etc.
    - rice
    - quinoa
    - root vegetables: sweet potatoes, rutabagas, kohlrabi, parsnips, carrots and so forth

Good foods - carbs plus fiber from vegetables
    - broccoli, broccolini
    - green beans
    - brussels sprouts
    - cabbage
    - lettuce
    - asparagus
    - squash of most sorts
    - cucumbers
    - and so forth and so on

Protein
    - Meat from ruminants - beef, bison, lamb, venison, elk, moose .... i.e. the red meats
    - poultry ... with the skin on!
    - pork .... bacon is nom nom!
    - fish - avoid farm raised
    - nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachios
    - poultry eggs - preferably organic and free range

Fats
    - grassfed (or organic) butter, cream, ghee
    - coconut oil, palm oil
    - olive oil
    - animal fats

Certainly not exhaustive .... but if you were to only stock these things in your house, you would absolutely eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein and you would also eliminate many of the worst things we put in our bodies.

For more details, see Mark's Daily Apple (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/) or Gary Taubes (http://www.garytaubes.com/)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have Celiac Disease, so i'm already avoiding a lot of the first and second sections there!
  • smallsfgirl
    Options
    I second this topic. I'd like to know what's the most carbs someone has eaten and still maintain weight loss? If I could go 50-100, that would be great to know. I'm sort of afraid to go above 30 or so.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I eat less than 20g a day, using LCHF, and I don't find it hard. Main foods are seeds, nuts, meat, cheese, veggies, etc. I'll probably make my goal higher as I go.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at about 100 a day (1300 calories a day). I normally come well under that.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've already lost 68 pounds but I still have a little ways to go. I stay under 30 but try to get at least 20, but only from the good carb sources. There are days that I am under 20 but not too often. I'm afraid if I fluctuate too much then I won't continue to lose at 30. I'm still losing, very slowly.
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I thought it was not healthy to eat less than 40 carbs. a day...I think I read it somewhere.
    :ohwell: :yawn:
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    20g is about as low as you should go. And if you eat that low, you have to eat healthy veggies. Eating a bite of a donut is not the way to get your 20g of carbs!

But staying that low in carbs is not good long term. As I lost weight, I started to add things like low carb wraps, deli-thins, fruits (mostly strawberries, blueberries, apples), and sweat potato. I stay away from most any breads, white potatoes, junk food (chips, cheese doodles, dorittos, etc.), and desserts. This leaves me usually in the 80-120g per day range. Pretty maintainable IMO.

Good luck!