Hello

Options
What a great idea for a group! I began meditation about a year ago, mostly by just concentrating on my breath. It has been hugely beneficial in relieving arthritis pain. I also begain yoga just a few weeks ago, but I do a modified chair yoga because I am not able to get on floor. It is wonderful although I do think I over did it the first few time evidenced by sore hips and back. Despite this I continue on and find yoga also helps relieve a lot of my pain. I hope to find like minded people here and feel free to add me as friend.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I AGREE! SUPER!
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to this group. I do a 10-15 minute chakra meditation before bed and also try to do it first thing in morning.

I haven't tried yoga. Any recommendations for beginner YouTube videos?
  • MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just started chair yoga about a month ago and I really like it. I also use a dvd at home which teaches you to concentrate on the your breath and I find that so relaxing and helps me to destress! This sounds like a good group.
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    Hi all!

I've never belonged to a "group" so I'm not sure how this works, what I should be doing, what to expect, etc...

But I'm glad to have a safe place to voice what I want to tell the hundreds of those struggling on this site.

Calories in/calories out, working out like a maniac/lying on the couch, willpower of steel/cravings galore - it's all
    irrelevant until you connect with your spirit - the healthy, fit, happy spirit you once had before all this insanity took over - even if you have to go back to your 2 year old self to find her/him. And meditation (in what ever form you choose) is the fastest, easiest, healthiest way to get there!

Looking forward to hearing everyone's stories of healing!
  • Sab7490
    Options
    Hello everyone! I too am new at belonging to a "group." I have just started my new life style of eating a couple of weeks ago. I once did yoga religously and have only once again picked it back up. Due to my weight I find it difficult to do a lot of exercises for very long but I love my yoga DVDs. I do the flow yoga and find it makes me break a sweat, stretch and be calm.

I've never been very successful at meditation. I can't seem to sit still and clear my mind for more than a minute or two before it wonders into thinking about this, that and the other. Any suggestions on how to get past this?
  • traceyfunk
    Options

I've never been very successful at meditation. I can't seem to sit still and clear my mind for more than a minute or two before it wonders into thinking about this, that and the other. Any suggestions on how to get past this?

I'm definitely no expert, but what I've learned is that the wandering mind is perfectly natural, and part of the meditation process. I know it sounds more simple than it is to pull off, but when thoughts come, the trick is to just let them go without turning your attention to them. You might sit for 5 minutes and have 1000 thoughts enter your mind, but if all you do is let them come and go without dwelling on them, then you will have meditated for 5 minutes. I think sitting and watching your breathing for 10 minutes, as "interrupted" as it might be is more beneficial than pulling off 5 minutes without thinking a thought.

Another approach to take can be repeating a mantra - anything you like that you connect with - simply focusing your mind on one word for 5 minutes means you've let go of all the other crap in your head for those precious 5 minutes!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone....

My current goal has been to do 10 minutes of deep breathing/meditation each evening before going to bed.

I've been focusing on Qigong exercises but can incorporate some yoga ..... focus is on releasing stress and anxiety.

This group is a nice idea.
  • Pooka987
    Pooka987 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to this group, and does anyone have some good music or groups that I can listen to maybe on YouTube, or a video on how to do the yoga? Like I said, I am new and trying to do this in a healthy manner (about time after 57 years!)
  • chanahliora
    Options
    I used to have a daily meditation practice. I really need to get back to it. I hope this group will help me do just that.
  • skinimama
    skinimama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to this group. I do a 10-15 minute chakra meditation before bed and also try to do it first thing in morning.

I haven't tried yoga. Any recommendations for beginner YouTube videos?

I started out doing the "yoga zone" videos. There are some of them on YouTube :smile: