Two weeks in...notes and results

Options
Hi Guys!
I decided to get into this Eat More to Weigh Less business on Feb. 1- very nervous about eating so much, but the whole thing made a lot of sense to me. As it will be the third time in my life i've taken off a chunk of weight (and feel like I spent every moment since i was 22 worried about it- am now 37, weight has ranged from 145- 184)- I was eager to get OFF this roller coaster and maybe, finally, establish a healthy relationship wtih food.
I put the scale away after daily weighing and zero results for a month- i didn't touch it until today. I lost a lb. I couldn't believe it. Two weeks of eating 2150-2250 cals and I lost. huh. Guess all y'all didn't make it up- it really started to make sense once I fully realized it isn't a 'trick' it's just eating slightly below what you would to maintain your weight- tiny losses over time. I get activity every single day (break a sweat every single day) and I work a desk job- currently 170 (well 169 as of this morning, headed to 158, which I believe to be my body's natural weight before I started dieting as a young woman)
things I've noticed:
I"m far less stressed
I"m journaling every day- no reason not to because I can always make things work- on 1200 + exercise, some situations I would just say ah EFF it, I can't make it work, but now i always can
I"m more relaxed in social situations
I"m not constantly scrounging for food, literally hungry almost all the time
i've realized I NEVER overeat something unless it is a carb- I don't go crazy and all AH I"M GOING TO EAT FOUR CHICKEN BREASTS- it doesn't happenkeeping carbs complex and below 40% is working for me
TMI: i'm uh, going to the bathroom like a normal person again (ladies you hear me?)
I"m totaly into weights again which i've always enjoyed

So in short, i"m happy to be doing this and to have come across this group. I feel like i might be on my way to that lifelong relationship with food that is healthy and happy. I don't even care if I lose another lb., if I could just get off the gaining/losing coaster and stay this way, I'd be fine!
thanks for the support and the information. much appreciated.

Replies

• Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Well done!
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for three weeks, and though no results yet, I have barely gained and was expecting to gain more (although hoping to lose).
    I agree with so many of your observations.
    I no longer want to binge!! It is wonderful :) I no longer look at normal food (not even carbs, I now only fall for sweets such as my beloved ice cream) and think, "If only I could sit there and eat the whole bowl."
    My sweet tooth has gone down, a little, although as said above, I still long after ice cream. I'm sure that will never disappear, my entire family is like that, and most of them are a healthy weight.

My personal favorites!!
    I am more toned, and my clothes fit slightly better, and I have reduced my exercise due to one of my sports season's ending!
    My collar bones are starting to show :) (I never had prominent collar bones, even as a skinny little kid, so showing a little is nice)
    And my wrist is a little thinner (I have/had man wrists and hands, and hate them)

I guess this is pretty much a list of NSV's.

Unlike missjeevious (love that name), I do need to lose the weight, but I am happy to stick to maintaining eating this much for a few weeks first!
    Thanks for sharing missjeevious
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am SO SO happy for you honey!! Like grinning from ear to ear (maybe a little teary eyed) happy!
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love your notes! I've been eating at TDEE - 20% for 2.5-3 weeks. I haven't lost anything yet (I haven't gained, either!), but I also put exercise on the burner until my ankle sprain/fracture heals completely. Some days I find it's hard for me to eat all of my calories!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I love your notes! I've been eating at TDEE - 20% for 2.5-3 weeks. I haven't lost anything yet (I haven't gained, either!), but I also put exercise on the burner until my ankle sprain/fracture heals completely. Some days I find it's hard for me to eat all of my calories!

So 20% off sedentary TDEE that you are actually at right now, or 20% off exercise included TDEE that you are not doing right now?
  • misskym
    Options

So 20% off sedentary TDEE that you are actually at right now, or 20% off exercise included TDEE that you are not doing right now?

20% off light active TDEE. I don't consider myself sedentary because I'm chasing the kids all day and am on my feet plenty while at work for 12 hours on the weekends. Before I injured my ankle, I was going to do 20% off moderate active TDEE because I worked out 5-6 days per week.

Am I doing all that wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if I am! Although, I have been netting between 1500-1600 calories a day when my light active TDEE-20% puts me at 1726.
  • heybales
    Options
    20% off light active TDEE. I don't consider myself sedentary because I'm chasing the kids all day and am on my feet plenty while at work for 12 hours on the weekends. Before I injured my ankle, I was going to do 20% off moderate active TDEE because I worked out 5-6 days per week.

Am I doing all that wrong? I wouldn't be surprised if I am! Although, I have been netting between 1500-1600 calories a day when my light active TDEE-20% puts me at 1726.

Sounds realistic for now.

And that actually sounds like your planned normal exercise week should correspondingly be bumped up too, since normal non-exercise takes you up a level, and exercise even more.
    5-6 days a week is already Mod Active rounded up, your life pushed it up higher I'd suggest, Active rounded down perhaps.
  • misskym
    Options

Sounds realistic for now.

And that actually sounds like your planned normal exercise week should correspondingly be bumped up too, since normal non-exercise takes you up a level, and exercise even more.
    5-6 days a week is already Mod Active rounded up, your life pushed it up higher I'd suggest, Active rounded down perhaps.

So, when I'm able to work out my usual 5-6 days per week, should I go by the very active TDEE instead of the moderate TDEE? What do you mean by round down? If my moderate active TDEE is 2432 and my very active TDEE is 2706, how would I round that down?
  • heybales
    Options
    So, when I'm able to work out my usual 5-6 days per week, should I go by the very active TDEE instead of the moderate TDEE? What do you mean by round down? If my moderate active TDEE is 2432 and my very active TDEE is 2706, how would I round that down?

Well, there's 274 calories difference in there.

Don't think these TDEE calcs can possibly know your exact TDEE, they are estimates to get you close.

You are not forced to use that exact number. Like one calorie number in Mod Active for 3 to 5 hrs of exercise.
    Well, wouldn't that mean there is actually a difference between 3 and the 5 hrs actually being done? Sure, you aren't going to burn the same.

So round down to 2600 for TDEE.
  • misskym
    Options
    Well, there's 274 calories difference in there.

Don't think these TDEE calcs can possibly know your exact TDEE, they are estimates to get you close.

You are not forced to use that exact number. Like one calorie number in Mod Active for 3 to 5 hrs of exercise.
    Well, wouldn't that mean there is actually a difference between 3 and the 5 hrs actually being done? Sure, you aren't going to burn the same.

So round down to 2600 for TDEE.

Thank you for the clarification!