Pizza lovers - which pizza?

Options
Pychcia
Pychcia Posts: 19 Member
Hi all pizza lovers!
I'm big fun of pizza (and any Italian food, especially carbonara!!!! hmm yummy), however pizza is a calories killer!!!
So I was trying to find one which is acceptable:wink: and low(er) in calories. I've tried weight watchers range but didn't like it at all. My best choice so far is Asda Chosen by you Thin stonebaked (green boxes), half pizza is around 300cal, depends on toppers. I have never had half pizza by the way, that would be terrible waste:wink: I still add my own stuff , depends what i fancy (i.e. oregano, garlic, mushrooms, veggies, prawns, tuna - I love fruiti the mare) and recalculate calories but it doesn't change too much.
Have you found any delicious, low(er) calories pizza that you could recommend?

Replies

• d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love Dr Oetker Ristorante pizzas. The chicken one is my favourite, though I like them all really! I think at most it's about 800 cals for a full pizza.

The worst one for cals that I found was a Chicago Town Stuffed Crust Takeaway pizza - about 1800 cals per QUARTER! I couldn't believe it when I read that on the box. Before starting on MFP, I would easily have eaten the whole thing to myself without a second thought... wonder why I put the weight on in the first place... :laugh:
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love Dr Oetker Ristorante pizzas. The chicken one is my favourite, though I like them all really! I think at most it's about 800 cals for a full pizza.

The worst one for cals that I found was a Chicago Town Stuffed Crust Takeaway pizza - about 1800 cals per QUARTER! I couldn't believe it when I read that on the box. Before starting on MFP, I would easily have eaten the whole thing to myself without a second thought... wonder why I put the weight on in the first place... :laugh:

I just had to look it up and its not quite as bad, but still bad.

1873Kj per 1/4
    446Kcal per 1/4
  • The_Gruffalo
    Options
    Me and the Wife make our own and there the best tasting Pizza i have ever tasted even if i do say so :D

We were big fans of Papajohns pizza but after working them out they where over 1200 Calories for a medium pizza :0

1 Warburtons Square Wrap
    Light Mozzarella
    Lighter Mature Cheddar
    40g BBQ sauce

Along with any other topping you fancy
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Tesco do a stone baked very thin one covered in veggies which isn't too bad at 375 per half, but I only eat them occasionally and on a 'running' rather than a rest day. I know we have seen some pizzas which come in at around1200 calories for a not too big one, quite shocking!

If you make your own using pizza base mix and a dolmio type sauce you have complete control over what and how many toppings you add.
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Me and the Wife make our own and there the best tasting Pizza i have ever tasted even if i do say so :D

We were big fans of Papajohns pizza but after working them out they where over 1200 Calories for a medium pizza :0

1 Warburtons Square Wrap
    Light Mozzarella
    Lighter Mature Cheddar
    40g BBQ sauce

i do this too! The warburton square wraps make a great pizza base!!
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Tesco - Pizza Express Pomodoro Pesto Pizza

540 calories for the whole pizza, though need to keep an eye on the other macros if might throw off your day. and if I want meat will add pack of bernard matthews turkey chunks for another 110 cals.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Make your own! It is really very quick and easy to make, by making your own you can roll the base thin and put as much or little topping on as you like. I go easy on the cheese but put lost of other things on like sliced peppers, mushrooms, olives, capers, lots of fresh chopped herbs, anchovies etc. When we make pizza I'll have a smaller portion of the pizza and then make a large side salad to go with.
  • JuliaS90
    JuliaS90 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're after frozen pizza, Goodfella's has a light tomato and mozzarella pizza. Only 321 calories for the whole thing! I buy them at Tesco.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I just had to look it up and its not quite as bad, but still bad.

1873Kj per 1/4
    446Kcal per 1/4

I'm glad that I've just read the box wrong! I thought it was a slightly mental calorie figure lol
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Morrisons NuMe Vegetable pizza is so yummy! And only 375 cals for half a pizza!! I always add some pepperoni or salami, whatevers in the fridge!
  • NicolaMapp
    NicolaMapp Posts: 27 Member
    Options

1 Warburtons Square Wrap
    Light Mozzarella
    Lighter Mature Cheddar
    40g BBQ sauce

This^^^^^

Also the square thins they do are 100 cals per thin and I tend to have a bit of naughty garlic butter - low cal garlic bread!!!! New secret weapon
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I home made my own pizza once around 2.5 years ago. It was so dam good I have never had a shop bought pizza since. Once you get the hang of the dough (which only takes aroun 10 mins to make and doesn't need proving) it is so quick. Plus you can chose your own toppings adding more or less depending on the calories you want to eat.

It is a thin dough pizza. Te recipe makes 4 pizza bases, the size of those standard pizza trays you can get from tesco etc with the holes in. Around (under) 400 cals for the whole base:

375g strong white bread flour
    7g fast action dried yeast
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    225ml hand hot water.

Basically mix it all together (dry then wet) until you have a lump free dough. Split into 4 and roll into a pizza shape.

I then put mine on the pizza tray and top it with: passata, red onion, mushrooms, pepper, sundried toms, jalapeños and mozzarella. Salt and pepper and herbs if you wish (i do!) Bf adds ham, pepperoni etc but you put anything you want on it!!

Then cook at gas mark 5 (180?) until mozzarella is browned and the base isn't all floppy. Maybe 20-30mins?

Trust me you'll never eat a shop bought pizza again!!
  • Pychcia
    Options
    Thanks very much for the recipe. Might try it, however must admit pizza is my treat usually on Friday or Saturday evening when I don't feel like cooking which I do every single day, so it's like holidays away from my kitchen:happy:
  • Pychcia
    Options

1 Warburtons Square Wrap
    Light Mozzarella
    Lighter Mature Cheddar
    40g BBQ sauce

Waw, that sounds good! Must give it a go. The problem with pizza is mostly its base, so this one might work:smile: Toppings are not so bad, mostly vegetables (so its healthy!!!) and you can always use lighter cheese.
    Definitely something to consider.
    Thanks very much
  • Pychcia
    Options
    If you're after frozen pizza, Goodfella's has a light tomato and mozzarella pizza. Only 321 calories for the whole thing! I buy them at Tesco.

That sounds good! You can always add some veggies (which I love). Thanks
  • Pychcia
    Options
    Does anybody know if the Warburtons Square Wraps are available in Northern Ireland (I am in Glasgow at the moment but I am moving back to NI in couple weeks) and if they are not could anybody recommend sensible replacement, please. I have never used them before so I don't really know if they are more like nan bread or tortilla wraps (on the picture they look like something between:wink: )
  • cam1300
    cam1300 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Waitrose thin and crispy ham and mushroom is yum and low calories too!
  • Pychcia
    Options
    Tesco - Pizza Express Pomodoro Pesto Pizza

540 calories for the whole pizza, though need to keep an eye on the other macros if might throw off your day. and if I want meat will add pack of bernard matthews turkey chunks for another 110 cals.

That's good one too, thanks ;-)
  • Pychcia
    Options
  • Dzambhala
    Dzambhala Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm a big Pizza fan, I tried a local place a few days ago and it was great.

Asda is at least once a month, not amazing, I usually get a thin crust American Sizzler or Vegie.

Best is to stay away from deep pan as a minimum, the best way though is to make your own.

Use 50/50 white self raising flour and wholemeal. You can then use low fat mozzarella and some lowfat chedder,

You can make a nice and easy sauce in 10 minutes that would keep in the fridge for 30 days, making a self-raising flour base takes around 5-10 mins, not very long and you know exactly whats in it....