PCOS and Lifting Heavy

Options
Hi all!

I am a big fan of weight training and decided to move into heavy lifting, mainly because I find it an enjoyable fitness activity.
Any other ladies on board who love lifting or jut beginning to incorporate it into your program? Would love to build a support circle for lady's who want to create visible muscles.

Replies

• ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have recently started lifting weights ( apart from my cardio regime) and I am loving it! Feel free to add me in.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I do Strong Lifts. I've been doing it for five weeks and I'm still a woman!
    LOL, send me an FR if interested.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell training 2-3 times a week, and my strength has really improved, along with my cardio. Strength training just makes me feel good in general.
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    Yay for responses! :) I am adding all of y'all!
    Good to see a few of my PCOS sisters lifting weights! Would love to learn more about what programs you're following, Live Fit, a strong a lifts, etc.
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lift also not really heavy weights... bench etc. I lift with my 11 yr daughter and she loves it. I am trying to get my husband to get heavier plates, but he wants me to continue with some what light weight 20lbs or so and higher reps. It is cool.
  • LaurieElla
    LaurieElla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I love lifting, always have .. even before I found out I had PCOS. I am just now getting back to the gym and trying to lose weight. I heard that extensive amounts of Cardio could not be good for PCOSers so I am focusing on Strength and doing only about 20 minutes of cardio at a time. Thinking of doing a few sessions a day (morning, noon, night type of thing). Please feel free to add me!! I really need support! Oh and I am doing LIveFit exercises but other stuff as well .. Might do a video in the evening etc. Not sure yet .. What does everyone else do?
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hiya - I have recently gotten back into lifting...I always played sports and lifted heavy but took a break...I started back on the LiveFit program by Jamie Eason... I am also getting back into running - signed up for some 5k's...those of you that heard that running is not great for us with PCOS - why did they say it wasn't good?? I hadn't heard it before and hope that a couple miles are ok and that when its marathon length is when it is bad :/
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say two things:

1) All of you kick it! Seriously! It is so awesome to see so many women with PCOS lifting! Warms the cockles of my ovaries.

2) I just wanted to mention that I've been lifting for about two months. One of my worst PCOS symptoms was non-existent periods and long cycles. Well, I just had a 33-day cycle. So my experience is, I'm doing great with symptom reduction!
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I really want to get into Strong Lifts once I get my training for a 5k obstacle course out of the way. I've seen a lot of great results in general, and my FAVORITE way to exercise is lifting! I used to be into core lifts and lifting heavy when I played collegiate sports, but I fell off that bandwagon long ago.

Please add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and I love it. I don't do cardio apart from whatever I get from training with kettlebells, which I do on the days I don't lift.

I've heard mixed things about lifting and PCOS, but in my experience it has been good for me. It's what I most enjoy doing for exercise, and I feel it helps balance my hormones. My moods are better, appetite is better, i look and feel better. Periods are pretty close to normal at this point. I've been lifting off and on since I was a teenager, but this time around since September. I've been doing Starting Strength.
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    hi ladies

i have been doing tae bo for a little over a month and have been looking into strength training but to be honest i have no idea where to begin, could any of you lovely ladies point me in the right direction? Like where to begin how much weights I am totally clueless to be honest thanks in advance
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I love lifting, always have .. even before I found out I had PCOS. I am just now getting back to the gym and trying to lose weight. I heard that extensive amounts of Cardio could not be good for PCOSers so I am focusing on Strength and doing only about 20 minutes of cardio at a time. Thinking of doing a few sessions a day (morning, noon, night type of thing). Please feel free to add me!! I really need support! Oh and I am doing LIveFit exercises but other stuff as well .. Might do a video in the evening etc. Not sure yet .. What does everyone else do?

I have never seen a single piece of research showing cardio is bad for women with PCOS. Cardio has wonderful benefits. I'm not sure of the qualifier "extensive," but I don't think anyone needs to be doing four hours a day or anything. Any research to back up this statement? I don't want people unnecessarily freaking out about what is truly a very healthy thing to include in their lives.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

I have never seen a single piece of research showing cardio is bad for women with PCOS. Cardio has wonderful benefits. I'm not sure of the qualifier "extensive," but I don't think anyone needs to be doing four hours a day or anything. Any research to back up this statement? I don't want people unnecessarily freaking out about what is truly a very healthy thing to include in their lives.

This is no medical journal, but this article advises strength training and cardio. Not sure where the idea that cardio isn't good for PCOS came from, though it DOES say that extensive amounts of ANY exercise could increase testosterone levels (which as women, we don't want! lol) but like Natalie said, depending on what "extensive" is, it could be unhealthy regardless of whether or not you have PCOS.