What are the Cheapest Clean Food Recipes?

Options
lmw71282
lmw71282 Posts: 24 Member
I am a little new to eating clean food. I need some really good tasting recipes that my children would also like. I try to make them eat what I do that way they understand it when they get older! Thanks everyone:)

Replies

• libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I found that chopping the healthy stuff into very small pieces or shredding helps "hide" the stuff they would be less inclined to eat. I have a had chopper that practically turns carrots, onions, etc., into paste so the flavor is there, but not the "visual" or "chunks" as my kids called them.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a Trader Joe's? If so they have so many awesome organic foods that are affordable. One of my favorite staples is their organic Quinoa. It's about $4 a bag, and I thiiiink each bag has like 8-12 servings. And believe me, 1 serving of quinoa is almost enough to fill you up! And it comes with recipes on the back of the bag :-)
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Try the recipes on the Stone Soup website :)
  • lmw71282
    lmw71282 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys:) I do live near a Trader Joe's. I have never been in it but now I am going to have to make a special stop. As far as eating the veggies, my kids love vegetables, they just get bored real fast with them and I have never heard of stone soup I will def. take a look at it. You guys are all great!
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi! I agree about trader joe's. The prices are very reasonable, and the selection is often unique.

To save money, a lot of things can be bought in bulk. Like the quinoa, or other grains, seeds, dried fruits, etc. Dried beans are a huge money saver.

Ive never heard of stone soup either, so looking fwd to that! Also, the vegetarian times website. You can add meat easily to any of the recipes. I just like their creative use of veggies, esp seasonal ones. Great ideas from it. I always like cooking light's website, too. Pinterest has great things too.Search clean eating, vegetarian, or paleo, just to get some ideas.

I agree with chopping things up teeny tiny. Purees are easy to get into kids too. Check out jessica seinfeld's book online...i wouldnt buy it...I have it and most things are too intricate. There are some ideas to be had there though. Also smoothies. A frozen banana in a smoothie wil cover up spinach & kale pretty well. Watch the colors though..stay away from mixing w berries. .blend greens with peach or mango. Red + green = brown.

Since your kids love veggies, the vegetarian times should keep it interesting for them. Sometimes, I try to do a different theme throughout the week bc I need inspiration!! Like chinese stirfry, fried rice, lo mein...pad thai. Or italian...kale lasagna, pasta e fagioli, Mexican...chili, fajitas, tacos, or a soup night. Any can be made w meat, tofu or beans and lots of veggies. Other times I see what the grocery store happens to have that looks good for organic veggies, buy them, & find recipes to use them.

Hope that helps!!