30DS: Do you skip any of the exercises?

Options
Before starting the 30DS I was actually jumping rope and doing some jumping jacks here and there so that part of the workout is doable for me, so are all the activities with the weights but I am THE WORST at crunches, I try to do a few at least but I definitely don't do as many as Jillian recommends. In fact, she'd be pissed if she were at home watching me. LOL! I know she says your neck is not invited to the party but apparently my neck wants to join in on the torture so I have to go at a snail's pace to ensure that I don't use my neck. I don't know what the deal is with me!!! I have always had that problem! Even when I was 12 and thin and getting yelled at by Gym teachers who were convinced I was going to injure my neck. Anyway, those crunches kill me but I am trying to get better. When it becomes too much, I try to do some of the other exercises from the DVD so I'm not just sitting there (or laying there!) huffing and puffing away. How bad is that?? :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

Replies

• LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I get it. I know what you mean....The crunches are not a problem for me but some stuff is....have you tried just placing your fingers behind you ears so you at least can not pull on your neck? or try doing the old fashioned crossing them over your chest....you could also just try changing up the style...instead of doing the kind where you lift your shoulders off the floor do the reverse ones where you lift your legs...I believe she has us do some of those in level 2 maybe....or try some of the ones from level 1 where you lift your butt off the ground...(yea I suck at those)....if there are any other ab moves you can do better try them.............I am thinking of substituting the push ups for walkouts or burpies....I can't do the push ups and a I feel like I can get a better work out and keep my heart rate higher if I do the walk outs or burpies that I can do better and get more in....She has walkouts in level 2 anyway as well. I think if you have trouble with one move that alternating it for a similar move than works the same area and keeps your heart rate up is better than just laying there like you said....doing something is always better IMO:)
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think that bicycle crunches are plain and simply torture!!! I did do much better with them last night.(day3) But by better I mean I was able to do 5 instead of none lol. I think that you should keep working at them. She said multiple times in the video that if you don't just do it you'll never be able to. So even if you can only do 2, the next day you might be able to do 4 and then before you know it you'll wonder why they were ever so hard to do in the first time. I have the same problem with always wanting to use my neck too :( I go slower and really focus on what muscles I'm using and that tends to help me. Good luck!!
  • JFP77
    JFP77 Posts: 50
    Options
    me personally i never skip any of the exercises however with the jumping jacks and skipping in cardio part 1 i cant get thro them all so i start off doing them till i cant keep going then i jog on the spot to keep my heart rate up i figure if i do them every day and each time try to last a little longer doing them by day 10 will be able to do the whole thing without having to struggle
  • insane5150
    insane5150 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think that bicycle crunches are plain and simply torture!!! I did do much better with them last night.(day3) But by better I mean I was able to do 5 instead of none lol. I think that you should keep working at them. She said multiple times in the video that if you don't just do it you'll never be able to. So even if you can only do 2, the next day you might be able to do 4 and then before you know it you'll wonder why they were ever so hard to do in the first time. I have the same problem with always wanting to use my neck too :( I go slower and really focus on what muscles I'm using and that tends to help me. Good luck!!
    Yes those bicycle crunches are something else... I feel like I lose my coordination or something. Left cruch to right leg, right crunch to left leg.... sounds sooo easy, but often times I will go left to left, right to right, uuurrggghhh.

As each day goes by, I just keep trying and trying, never give up.... and just like you, improvement is being made. Still not perfect, but it's getting there :-)

Keep up the excellent work!!!!!
  • mrfrodogetdown
    mrfrodogetdown Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can't do any of the crunches other than the basic crunch, I hurt my neck. I just do sit ups. Not ideal but it's better than nothing.
  • cindylmanly
    cindylmanly Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't skip any but the push-ups are really hard for me. I do as many as I can for as long as I can. The first day I did maybe 5. Today I did 12-15 each set. So getting better! The first day I was exhausted and sweaty and thought I'd die. Today was day 5 and much much much better!