Meters... need input

Options
RaineyLaney
RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
Ok, I checked with my employer to find out what my cost of the A1C would be. It will cost me approx. $108.00 untill my deductable of $695.00 is meet.. Ouch. Then I tried to find out if my strips are covered at all. I found out that my brand. The One Touch Ultra Mini is not covered and will cost me $111.00 per 100 strips and that does not go toward my deductable at all. My boss (Who is head of the buisness office and billing... found out by calling the main company that deals with our prescriptions, that only three meter strips are covered.

1.. Free style cost $25.00 for 30 strips (Our pharmacy informed me of this price)
2... Accu Check (not sure what it would cost, but is covered, probably close to the Free Style
3... Precission (spelling). I have never heard of this one.. and again, no clue how much it will cost, but is one that is covered.

So my question is... Has anyone used or have knowledge of these testers? Are they accurate? I bought the Relion prime from Walmart. It is not 100% accurate, but is ok to test before and after meals. It usually runs 3 to 7 higher than my Ultra, but once in awhile it will run 3 to 7 lower than the Ultra.

I know I can not get my A1C test done. I just can not afford $108.00. I suport myself and pay all bills, Single family income.

I may just try the Bayer A1C test and will just have to let my doctor know, I just can not afford to have the Lab do it. I also checked into Quest and Lab core and found it is only offered with certain insurances and unfortunatly, my insurance is not one who deals with either... My opinion.. Aetna ins stinks big time :( I think I would of been farther ahead getting independent insurance. On top of these costs, Ipay almost 70 dollars a month to have this insurance :( cries

Replies

• suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have the Freestyle lite and love it! Unfortunately my insurance will not pay for their strips. They will only pay for GE meter strips - they are crap! About 1/4 of them error out. I use them for my morning and afternoon tests. They will only pay for 1 test a day, but do send a few extra (probably to cover for the crappy erroring out ones). I use the Freestyle for my morning tests. I buy the Freestyle strips on E-bay, can usually get them for less than $25 for 50, sometimes even less. Kind of a pain using two meters, but I really like the Freestyle and want to keep using it. You should ask your Dr if he has one for you. I got my Freestyle free from my Dr when first diagnosed. She gets them free from pharmiceudical companies. Also, Freestyle has a discount program - check on line about this. I just threw out the info on it as it didn't help me out, but it might you.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I met with my rd earlier this week they had a free meter offer from Nova Max Plus.

That's the one that my doc actually gave to me.

If you're interested in the number they provided to contact them I can send you an email.....

I'm only allowed one test a day.....so sometimes I push it and do two but get push back from pharmacy if I try to refill strips too soon.
  • booklvr81
    booklvr81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are multiple AccuChek meters... I have the Nano, and I love it. The website is here > https://www.accu-chek.com/us
  • RaineyLaney
    Options
    Update. Ok, found out if I get a 90 day supply (which is 300 test strips) and will cost me $70.00 This is for the Free style or the Accu Check comfort strips. So feel a bit better now on being able to keep testing
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I currently use the Accu-Chek Aviva, but have used the Breeze and other Accu-Chek meters. I have found that both are very accurate readers. My insurance has changed a number of times and so seem to have to change meters ever couple of years. I don't understand how the insurance company can restrict the amount of strips if they are prescribed by the doctor. I test at least 3 times a day, for my health and knowledge. Is it the insurance company or is it the doctor who hasn't prescribed the correct amount of strips. Just curious. Good luck to you!!! It is always something.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I saw this thread and you all seem so knowledgeable I have a question about meters. The Doctor prescribed me a "One Touch Ultra Smart" Aug 2010 I have never used it. At the time I had pre-diabetes. I never could figure out how to use it by the directions. I'm truly disfunctional when it comes to trying to learn something from written directions. My son and a friend figured them out but I just never got around to them showing me how to use it. Now I'm on Methformin and the Dr. wants me to check between Dr. visits how I'm doing My stupid question is are the meter and strips still useable or is it outdated and do I need a different meter? My insurance is Humana and pay for both and I guess would pay for refills since both are on perscriptions
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have used accu-check meters for years- love the compact one because you don't have to put in a test strip each time you test- there is a drum with them pre-loaded.

Krogers and Walgreens does free A1C testing (I think).
  • RaineyLaney
    Options
    I saw this thread and you all seem so knowledgeable I have a question about meters. The Doctor prescribed me a "One Touch Ultra Smart" Aug 2010 I have never used it. At the time I had pre-diabetes. I never could figure out how to use it by the directions. I'm truly disfunctional when it comes to trying to learn something from written directions. My son and a friend figured them out but I just never got around to them showing me how to use it. Now I'm on Methformin and the Dr. wants me to check between Dr. visits how I'm doing My stupid question is are the meter and strips still useable or is it outdated and do I need a different meter? My insurance is Humana and pay for both and I guess would pay for refills since both are on perscriptions

If you have had the meter and strips since 2010, you may want to see what the exp date on the strips are. I have read that it may not be accurate if the strips are out of date. I would also check with the pharmacy to see if they still carry, make the strips for that tester.
  • RaineyLaney
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replys to my question. I really appreciate the help
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have the contour that you put the strip in. Guess i'm lucky so far since the end of Nov. everything has been free. My first visit to the diabetic counselor she gave me a machine with strips. Then come Monday or Tuesday as Monday is family day. I will bring my contour machine back to drug store. And they will exchange it free and give me another box of strips.
    So glad i'm still on hubbys benefits but I'm also in Canada. A lot is free. Thank goodness.

Good luck to all
    Linda
  • shaldra
    Options
    I use a Freestyle Freedom Lite and have done so for almost 3 years and found it both easy to use and accurate. I get all my supplies thru a program run by Walgrens Pharmacy which is really good if you are over 65, but I don't know if it applies to under 65. It would be worth checking into various pharmacy programs as I have been told that WalMart and CVS also run similar programs that are low cost or are cost free for diabetics. They are linked to at least some insurance programs, but some are low cost to folks whose insurance companies do not offer coverage or who do not have insurance. Also, rules differ from state to state and will change under Obamacare. Same for H1AC testing. Currently, some drug houses offer discount testing to patients taking "their drug(s)" so you might luck out talking to the customer service office of the drug manufacturer that makes whatever drug(s) you take to aid in control of your diabetes. If you are diet controlled then your doctor should be able to locate a clinic where testing is offered or you may be able to locate one thru your local public health clinic.
  • shaldra
    Options
    On reading the rest of the posts, I can add that Abbott who manufactures the Freestyle kits, has a great low cost or free plan that supplies enuf strips for twice a day testing for non insulin or up to 4 times a day testing for insulin dependent diabetics or they did last time I checked. The limits on testing for those over 65 or otherwise on Medicare are twice a day if not on Insulin and 4 times a day if on insulin. These limits were actually approved by Congress in one of those huge omnibus bills congress is so in favor of and not necessarily based on medical science. I anticipate that under Obamacare testing will be limited to once or twice a day to further limit costs and insurance companies will as always follow suit as they always do if it costs them less or if it is legally applicable.:grumble:
  • MSP107
    MSP107 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    the test strips do have an expiration date on them not the meter tho
  • RaineyLaney
    Options
    the test strips do have an expiration date on them not the meter tho

Yes, the meters never expire untill, the battery in it dies or it just up and dies. The strips do have dates though.
  • wadekilpatrick
    Options
    I have tried the Bayer Contour, Bayer Contour USB, Accuchek Nano, and currently I am using the One Touch Mini.

I love the One Touch mini.