Grains?

Options
I was struggling with my workouts on paleo, but when I swapped to having more carbs in the day, I found my evening workouts went heaps better, had a ton more energy, no heartburn, and didn't get the bonk half way through. I do endurance cycling, mountain biking, that sort of thing, so when training heavily I do burn a lot of energy.

For the sake of variety, I have added rice, buckwheat and quinoa back into my diet, as I was really eating an awful lot of sweet potato, and have not had any digestive issues from them, in fact I found that I have more of an issue with potatoes than I do with rice.

I know the paleo take tends to be "all grains are bad" - as a coeliac I don't do wheat at all, or any other gluten containing grains, I don't have corn or oats, and I don't use processed gluten free products like bread or pasta, but I seem to be OK with plain white Basmati or sushi rice, buckwheat porridge, or well-cooked quinoa. If it isn't causing me any digestive issues and not aggravating my Crohns symptoms, is it bad to have it once or twice a week?

The one thing paleo did show me was that I had a huge problem with dairy, which is definitely not coming back into my diet, but I really was struggling with having the energy to work out.

Replies

• AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You need to do what works for you and your body! I stay clear of grains, which I was never a big fan of anyhow! I am glad you are feeling better.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The general idea is that grains are bad. However, some people can handle grains better than others. Indeed, some can thrive on grains. This is not to say they wouldn't do as well or better on a strict paleo diet, just that they can handle grains.

It's like smoking: some folks get lung cancer and die by thirty, smoking a half a pack a day and others tell stories about their grandfather smoking two packs a day and dying only after a carabiner broke when he was climbing Everest. But no one is going to argue that smoking is good for you.

So, if grains (all or some or whatever) work for you and it's what you want to do, then have at it.
    I will say that I bet it's possible you could stay strict paleo and avoid the energy problems you're having. You'd just need to find a way it works.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    There was a video posted from the "grandfather of paleo" he talks about the weak form (which he follows) and it does include some grains. So you can adapt it to fit your life and what you need to function at your best.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    The general idea is that grains are bad. However, some people can handle grains better than others. Indeed, some can thrive on grains. This is not to say they wouldn't do as well or better on a strict paleo diet, just that they can handle grains.

It's like smoking: some folks get lung cancer and die by thirty, smoking a half a pack a day and others tell stories about their grandfather smoking two packs a day and dying only after a carabiner broke when he was climbing Everest. But no one is going to argue that smoking is good for you.

So, if grains (all or some or whatever) work for you and it's what you want to do, then have at it.
    I will say that I bet it's possible you could stay strict paleo and avoid the energy problems you're having. You'd just need to find a way it works.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Hit reply to fast, I agree with the statement above!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Rice and quinoa are probably about the easiest to handle in terms of digestion. If you are using them to fuel your workouts I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it's about what works for you, not what a diet guru says should be working for you.
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    While I generally don' eat much grains, there are times when I use sprouted grain bread. It works for me, you find what works for you. ;)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do a Paleo-esque approach, but I allow myself a few whole grains. I think having *whole* grains rather than refined and keeping them limited to a smaller part of the overall diet helps a lot.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My dr has me following The Perfect Health Diet, which is basically Paleo with allowances for some white rice and potatoes. It is a moderate carb diet, but there are also low carb versions. I'm in the middle of the book now and it's loaded with scientific info. It's all very interesting.
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    My dr has me following The Perfect Health Diet, which is basically Paleo with allowances for some white rice and potatoes. It is a moderate carb diet, but there are also low carb versions. I'm in the middle of the book now and it's loaded with scientific info. It's all very interesting.

I love that book!