I need to know more!! :)

Options
I'm so intrigued by this lifestyle & want to know more! I've recently started eating clean & organic (since December) & feel so much better dropping processed/packaged foods, but I know I'm still eating things I shouldn't!

In June 2012, I got hives. I didn't think anything of it but 7 months later, I still get them daily. I had a doctor appointment today and she said she'd see me back in 6 months & to just keep taking my Zyrtec to help with the itching!? It sounded ridiculous to me so I made an appointment with another doctor through a different practice to see if they'll help me find out what's causing it...

Long story short... I'm wondering if it's something I'm eating, or some sort of food allergy. The labs they drew only showed an allergy to ragweed (big deal).

Soooooo I need to know more! What do you stay away from on this eating plan/lifestyle? Grains? Bread? Cereal? Granola?

Someone help :)

Thank you in advance!
Raina

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Let's start with what you should have:
    Lots of veggies
    Lots of Fruits
    Grass fed beef/pork/chicken
    Seafood
    Nuts/seeds
    LOTS OF HEALTHY FAT (don't be fat phobic)
    BACON (because we can!)

No sugar (for me, this is the hardes but most important)
    No grains (including "healthy" whole grains)
    No diary (primal allows it but if you are dealing with allergy issues I would eliminate and reintroduce at later time to see if if bothers you)
    No soy
    No beans
    No processed Frankenfood either

I highly recommend you read "It starts with Food" or "Practical Paleo", both very good books.
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    I really like this guys blog http://chriskresser.com/ - his "beyond paleo" approach is awesome, there are great podcasts and tons of other useful info on his website.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I've read both The Primal Blueprint and The Paleo Diet, I preferred PB, but if you have a library membership you should check it out! Also, it was already mentioned but marksdailyapple.com is also a good resource :smile:
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to milk and I suspect soy. I also cannot eat any artificial sweeteners, they cause serious digestive issues for me. Milk causes my skin to break out among other things. If you suspect food allergies you will probably have to do elimination diets where you remove certain food and then slowly reintroduce them. I don't eat dairy, soy, legumes, processed sugar, grains ( sometimes I do but not often). And no processed foods
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    me + legumes || nightshades == psoriasis

Common skin irritants.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There is a great book that you should consider reading. " It Starts With Food. " Amazon has a kindle version. Welcome to the group.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions especially the book, Practical Paleo. Skin is the largest organ and outwardly shows inflammation as any number of conditions. You'll have to experiment on yourself to find the specific trigger, so personally would suggest eating very clean for a month as suggested on Whole30 website.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would cut out gluten and dairy for about a month and then reintroduce them one at a time for a couple of days with a break in between, as these are the most common food sensitivities. Food sensitivities are difference to food allergies and you will not always test positive to them on typical allergy tests.
    Gluten "rash" is hive-like and quite often misdiagnosed:
    http://abetterglutenfreelife.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/dermatitis-herpetiformis-celiac-disease_28.html

Do you have any digestive issues that would indicate a leaky gut? Many food sensitivities eventuate due to leaky gut and will never be eliminated until the gut is healed. I previously was unable to eat dairy due to a casein (milk protein) intolerance I gradually developed over many years. Since rectifying my leaky gut I can now eat some dairy without any adverse reactions.

For a great explanation of leaky gut and list of common symptoms:
    http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/03/the-scd-diet-and-leaky-gut-syndrome/
    and
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leo-galland-md/do-you-have-leaky-gut-syn_b_688951.html
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Practical Paleo! TONS of great information in there, plus several 30-day meal plans to help you get started. Good luck! :)
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint (marksdailyapple.com) is brilliant but if you are really looking to find what in your diet is causing the problem then doing a Whole30 (whole9life.com) is the way to go. Has you eating super clean for 30 days then re-introducing foods one at a time to see what is causing the problem.
  • cmain11699
    cmain11699 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After you get your brain on board with what you can and can't have, Pinterest has tons of Paleo recipes.