New test results- HELP going in the wrong direction!

Options
Wendyma1
Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
So I have been on Armour now since early January after having had RAI in November. Just had some blood test done and I think I'm still dropping even more towards Hypo! I'm on 45mg of Armour per day. I think I'm in need of an increase. Your thoughts?

TSH 7.85 Lab range is 0.10 - 5.50
T3 68 Lab range is 50 - 170
T4 0.6 Lab range is 0.8 - 1.7

I also noticed my ferritin levels are low, they are at 10 and the lab range is 22 - 291, Cortisol level is at 11.8 lab range is 8.0 - 25.0 and my B12 is at 404 where the lab range is >200

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Wendy

Replies

• Winonoir
    Winonoir Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should read the book stop the thyroid madness, it has info on how to take and increase NDT.
    TSH lab range you have is quite high alot of places have the max at about 3.5
    T3 is pointless you need FT3 and rT3
    T4 is pretty pointless too you need to test FT4 and at that the FT3 and rT3 are more important.

Low ferritin would mean that your not getting enough iron and will need to supplement.
    Cortisol it depends on the time of day it should be highest in the morning 8am and lowest at night.
    B12 is also better to be higher than that around 800. With low iron and low B12 I would guess you've low stomach acid.

Also Armour won't work if your adrenals/cortisol or your iron aren't healthy. It will probably make you feel worse.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So I have been on Armour now since early January after having had RAI in November. Just had some blood test done and I think I'm still dropping even more towards Hypo! I'm on 45mg of Armour per day. I think I'm in need of an increase. Your thoughts?

TSH 7.85 Lab range is 0.10 - 5.50
    T3 68 Lab range is 50 - 170
    T4 0.6 Lab range is 0.8 - 1.7

I also noticed my ferritin levels are low, they are at 10 and the lab range is 22 - 291, Cortisol level is at 11.8 lab range is 8.0 - 25.0 and my B12 is at 404 where the lab range is >200

It can take a long time for your thyroid to die off after RAI - months, or even years.

I agree with the other poster re: iron, B12 etc. Check out Stop The Thyroid Madness for info on low cortisol.

Personally I think your body is still recovering from the RAI, and I think you'll need to be on top of testing and supplementing for a while to come.

Is that total T3..? You definitely need free T3 tested. Unlikely that you'll need to worry about Reverse T3 since you're taking Armour.

Have you had your Vit D levels tested yet? I can't recall. Your body can't use the T3 in Armour if your Vit D is too low.
  • Wendyma1
    Options
    I just had my vitamin D levels checked with this last blood test. I was at 21 and the range is 20 - 79, so I'm low on that as well. My doctor told me to continue to take the iron supplement, (Ferritin is low but other iron levels are fine) and then to start taking 1500 - 2000 IU of Vitamin D a day. I have stuff in liquid form that I just purchased and will start taking.

As for the low cortisol levels, my endo is setting up for me to take an additional test, the ACTH test. I just ordered the book from Stop the thyroid madness and hope it comes in soon.

I was also increased to 60mg of armour per day, 30 in the am and 30 in the pm. I'm starting to feel like a walking pharmacy!! :)

thanks for the reply!
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Hmm, that's an odd Vit D range? Usually it's 30-100, with 60-80 being optimal. You are REALLY low -- I'm taking 4000 IUs daily to get mine up from 41!

Is it D3 in liquid form? That's the one that works the fastest. You may find that as your Vit D levels go up you need less Armour, but also depends on where your thyroid is at in its death throes. :)

Sounds like your doctor is being really great!
  • Wendyma1
    Options
    My vitamin D is in liquid form. Five drops equal 400iu which the bottle recommends. Sounds like I need to triple that amount. Will start doing that this evening.

Is there a time of day that you take all your supplements? I take armour at 6:30 and 1:00 so I usually take all my supplements in the evening before bedtime.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I take my thyroid meds in the morning, and my supplements all at night. So many! Blech, I get sick of it - hopefully I can scale back my Vit D pills soon.