Intimidated of the Gym

Options
sleafers
sleafers Posts: 90 Member
Hello Everyone,

I have had the book for ages, but have finally just found the get-up-and-go to start. I'm re-reading the book, and getting ready to start, but I have to say, I'm really intimidated. I am at University, I pay for a gym membership, so I figure I should use it while I'm there. The thing is, I went the other day to acclimate myself. I headed for the elliptical, because in this particular gym, there are not very many ladies in the weights section, and I wasn't quite prepared with the workouts and such from the book. The bonus was that the ellipticals are on the second level, so I had a good view of the weights section.

In the time I was there (about half an hour), I saw two women in the weights section, and a whole bunch of guys. I don't know if it's just this gym in particular, but it felt very... unfriendly. Maybe it's my lack of confidence but I cannot even fathom walking into that section. Intellectually, of course, I know that I need to do what I need to do, and that I'm doing this for me. But emotionally, I am intimidated. It didn't help that it was very busy (it usually is!)

I have the book, I'm reading it, but I haven't done much more than a scan-through of the 'right moves' but a lot of them are unfamiliar. I really want to do this, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself. I am still far away from my goal weight, but I have a thyroid condition as well, and everything points to lifting as a great tool for me to get where I want to be. But I'm afraid these nerves will get in my way!

Any advice would be terribly appreciated...

Replies

• mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Quick answer is: Can you get a session with a trainer? A trainer will make sure you are doing the exercises with correct form, and they can go wherever they like and do whatever they like without anyone questioning them - and you can just tag along.

I am in the last four workouts of stage one, and I still feel a little intimidated - and my gym is full of really big guys doing really big weights, giving sideways glances to the tubby girl using "their" squat rack. Often I have to start with a different exercise to wait for a rack to be available, or take a bar off a bench press rack and load it up in the machine area to do my deadlifts. I am not yet confident - especially as I am carrying a lot of body fat, but when you know what you have to do in your workout, I find it easy to concentrate on what I am doing.

Best approach would be to get someone to take you through the workouts (I did, even though all the exercises in stage one were familiar to me, mainly to make sure I started heavy enough and my form was good). Other than that, try and find a time when the gym is less busy - ask at the gym when the weights area is quietest if you need to.

Hope that helps.
    M
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When you start it seems like a really good idea to have read through the lesson, be familiar with what you are going to do including the warm ups, and to go prepared. One lady had mentioned that she took her clip board and her workout so that she could follow along and not get lost.

I'm starting this too, but I'll be doing it at home. We have a great fitness center nearby that is clean, friendly and top notch, but I can't be away from home for the hour and a half it would take 3x week.

Good luck to you!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I workout at a ladies only gym, but is still very intimidating when you are starting out. Like mcbellnz said, maybe try to get a session with a trainer. Or if you have a guy friend who could show you the ropes, ask him to go with you for a session or two until you have some confidence. Going at the odd hours when it's not busy always makes it easier to focus. Just from a few conversations I've had with guys about lifting, I've found them to be very helpful in sharing their knowledge. Maybe ask some of the guys at the gym if they have some tips for you.
    You'll kill those weights soon, just get out there and do it!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The gym is the best place for looky loos. Everyone checks out everyone else, it just happens (I've done it) but most people will not judge you in the ways that you think they are. Personally, I check out more of what people are wearing or the conversations they are having on the treadmill while "working out" then anything else.

With that out in the air, I agree with M, see if you can get 1-2 training sessions or see if you can go during the quietest times to get use to the equipment.
    The guys are probably looking at you because most women are so intimidated by the free weight section that they are not use to seeing them there. As long as you carry yourself in a positive and confident manner then you will be set.
    Bring the book or a clipboard with notes and moves and you will be set. The workouts in Stage 1 take 45 minutes max until you get comfortable with the moves. The first 2 sessions took me 45 minutes because I was going back to double check form and playing with how much weight I needed, then it went down to 25-30 minutes.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's just this gym in particular, but it felt very... unfriendly.

I agree with all of the great advice from the other posters. The above sentence stood out for me though. You don't need the weights section to be friendly. Lifting is about you and the weights. Your workout is not about the guys (doing bicep curls and shrugs) and their misplaced confidence with their mediocre workouts...its about using weights to build the body that you want.

Best of luck! We are here to support you when you get started!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I feel exactly the same OP! I'm going tomorrow. I just need to force myself. I know I'll feel really uncomfortable and out of place, but I need to just do it. I know that it will be MUCH easier after getting that first time out of the way.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I feel like I get a lot of respect for being one of the only women in the weight section. Most mornings there will be the men, maybe a woman with a trainer or trying the machines... Then me in the squat rack, walking around with barbells across my shoulders and throwing around kettlebells.

Sure I get some looks, but I think they are more curious and impressed that I am there and lifting what I do. I've also talked to a co-worker who is a pseudo-bodybuilder and he agrees he wishes he saw more women lifting and educating themselves. There is a reason all the men are in there... Lifting works. Keep at it. :smile:
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly like you when I first started and then again when I re-started in the new gym where I am at now. I do agree that booking a trainer will help loads. It did for me and I think every gym offers a free session with a trainer when you start.
    I also always take my book with me so people see I am following a program rather than just doing random workouts.

In my gym I have only seen one woman so far so to see two in half an hour is pretty good I think.

Also my experience in two different gyms is that they guys might look intimidating but I found that the mot of them are actually friendly and helpful when a woman comes along and wants to work out 'properly'.

I had to ask for help before and the guy looked quite scary...he had a gold tooth and all but he was really nice and told me to just ask if I need help. I also had others showing interest in my book etc...I now feel really proud when I go to the weights area and it has actually given me confidence to over come my fears.

Just do it! I am sure you will feel great after!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly like you when I first started and then again when I re-started in the new gym where I am at now. I do agree that booking a trainer will help loads. It did for me and I think every gym offers a free session with a trainer when you start.
    I also always take my book with me so people see I am following a program rather than just doing random workouts.

In my gym I have only seen one woman so far so to see two in half an hour is pretty good I think.

Also my experience in two different gyms is that they guys might look intimidating but I found that the mot of them are actually friendly and helpful when a woman comes along and wants to work out 'properly'.

I had to ask for help before and the guy looked quite scary...he had a gold tooth and all but he was really nice and told me to just ask if I need help. I also had others showing interest in my book etc...I now feel really proud when I go to the weights area and it has actually given me confidence to over come my fears.

Just do it! I am sure you will feel great after!

I know I didn't even post this thread but thanks so much for this! I am really excited to start the program but terrified of walking aimlessly around the weights section or using something upside down or something, haha. I can't get a trainer because I already used my "first time visit" free trainer so I'll have to go it alone. Talk about facing my fears!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Just go in there and get it done....nobody is looking at you, believe me! Everybody is there to get their work-outs in-and-done.

After 10 work-outs on that side of the gym, you'll forget that you EVER had "confidence" issues!
  • sleafers
    sleafers Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All of the advice is amazing... thanks for taking the time to respond! I will just get in there and get it done! I am going to look into a booking a trainer - I guess I can just tell them the program I am doing? I think I read that elsewhere on the forums.

All the responses have given me the little boost that I needed. I'm still nervous, but I will try and go in there with the idea that once the first workout is out of the way, I'll be set.

Again, thank you thank you thank you!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Try and book a trainer and just take your book with you and show him/her the exercises you want to be shown.

And yes you're right..it gets easier with every workout..the first one is the hardest but once you've done it it will great!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    I don't know if it's just this gym in particular, but it felt very... unfriendly.

I agree with all of the great advice from the other posters. The above sentence stood out for me though. You don't need the weights section to be friendly. Lifting is about you and the weights. Your workout is not about the guys (doing bicep curls and shrugs) and their misplaced confidence with their mediocre workouts...its about using weights to build the body that you want.

Best of luck! We are here to support you when you get started!!

100% agreed!

It's not about them, it's about you. Just do it and you will feel great that you did!
  • hagofnaedre
    hagofnaedre Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat as the OP! I have huge fear issues with the weights area. This has been really great advice, and quite encouraging to read. I planned on starting this morning and I think I feel a *little* less scared to do it now! Heh. Thank you all.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I am very overweight at the moment and when I walk in there I feel constantly stared at. It's really uncomfortable. One of the things that helps for me is simply taking my glasses off. Seriously. If I can't see them looking at me it bothers me a whole lot less.
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    Try and book a trainer and just take your book with you and show him/her the exercises you want to be shown.

And yes you're right..it gets easier with every workout..the first one is the hardest but once you've done it it will great!

Yep - I photocopied the stage 1 workout schedule, and the images from the book and dropped it into my trainer the day before my first session. She had written up the whole stage one programme on a workout card including the set and rep changes all I have to add is the weights I push.
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I am very overweight at the moment and when I walk in there I feel constantly stared at. It's really uncomfortable. One of the things that helps for me is simply taking my glasses off. Seriously. If I can't see them looking at me it bothers me a whole lot less.

This is awesome too. I stare at a computer screen all day for my job, but I wear my glasses to drive to the gym (as I am a wee bit short sighted) - once I am in there, with my glasses off, things are a bit blurry more than about 3m away, so I wouldn't be able to tell if anyone was looking at me.

I did have one guy say "bicep curls eh, that's pretty heavy for that" as I was loading the weight for deadlifts - I laughed and said "I wish", so I think most people who take the time to notice you will be pretty friendly.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I find everyone is as friendly-ish as people can be at 5:30 am. For the most part, they're there for the same purpose as you, to work out. I'm friendly, say "Hi" or do the head nod to the guys I see every day, but basically go about my business. Just remember good gym ettiquette (allow someone to work in with you if they ask, rerack your weights, wipe off the equipment) and you'll be fine. And remember, you just have to fake the confidence for the first few sessions, until you realize that people are more concerned about their own workout than you.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree about the trainer. You might also try to go super early (I go at 5:30am and have the weights pretty much to myself!) Another tip is to watch youtube clips of the various exercises so you can really see form and have more confidence. Good luck!!!:smile: