Welcome to MFP in China

Options

Replies

• EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi All

I'm glad there are a few others around! I'm in Beijing and have been here about 1.5yrs.

I hate that the sticker goes right over the nutrition info! (I understand it but it frustrates me) mostly i hate to say I shop at April Gourmet for any packaged food and the rest I try and just stick to fruit and veg.

There is a gym across the road from me but they close a lot so I often do a Jillian Michaels dvd. I've just started training for the Great Wall 1/2 marathon on May 18th and I'm terrified!!!
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was wondering for all those in China if this happens to you. I work in an office building. I have started to bring my lunch just because it is easier to calorie control that way. When I get ready to get my lunch out all of my co-workers run to the fridge to see what I have brought. They make comments if I bring a salad like "No warm food for lunch!?!?!?". They then begin to ask me all about if I cook at home, do I like Chinese food (standard questions here) and other things about my lunch. They like to do group community style lunches where they all share what they bring. I don't mind sharing my food it's just I don't want what is being offered back :). I have found myself hiding my lunch at my desk and sneaking to the microwave to heat it up after they are all done with lunch. I am not upset or anything over it just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experiences?

Also I saw someone posted about being able to type in Pin Yin into the calculator and it pulls up some stuff. I was just wondering what those things are. Most of the time I have to try and estimate what I am eating ingredient by ingredient instead of Jiaozi (dumplings).

Cheers!
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was wondering for all those in China if this happens to you. I work in an office building. I have started to bring my lunch just because it is easier to calorie control that way. When I get ready to get my lunch out all of my co-workers run to the fridge to see what I have brought. They make comments if I bring a salad like "No warm food for lunch!?!?!?". They then begin to ask me all about if I cook at home, do I like Chinese food (standard questions here) and other things about my lunch. They like to do group community style lunches where they all share what they bring. I don't mind sharing my food it's just I don't want what is being offered back :). I have found myself hiding my lunch at my desk and sneaking to the microwave to heat it up after they are all done with lunch. I am not upset or anything over it just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experiences?

Also I saw someone posted about being able to type in Pin Yin into the calculator and it pulls up some stuff. I was just wondering what those things are. Most of the time I have to try and estimate what I am eating ingredient by ingredient instead of Jiaozi (dumplings).

Cheers!
    I can emphasize with you. Chinese are a naturally curious people, and are not very sensitive if it comes to keeping their nose out of someone else's private matters, whether it's what a doctor is doing to you, what you earn, what you are reading on the train, or what you are eating. It's what you said: everything still seems to be part of the community and not sharing for them is awkward.

I'm me, though, and I was brought up with Western ideas, and it annoys me incredibly if someone is invading my privacy (especially when I'm tired or when I really want to get away from all the hectic after a hard day of work) or wants to get something from me (usually for their own benefit or out of blunt nosiness) that's not their business. So then I just close the door.

As a teacher, however, I usually lunch with expats who share the same values. So yea, if I were in your shoes, I just would either lunch alone, or just act dumb and eat, until everything is already in the process of digestion.

east-meets-west-15.jpg
  • ehbikki
    ehbikki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, the smog has cleared in Beijing so I'm feeling more inspired to try and get back on track with the healthy living... No one's resolutions really kick in til ChunJie do they? I started using MFP in the UK when I was back for a stay and despaired at the idea of trying to track calories in China - still doubtful it can be done accurately but maybe if I'm part of a group I'll be less tempted by 24hr junk food delivery ;) Go Team China!
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    The 24 hour food delivery is a killer! I did solve this but only because we moved house and I can't seem to say the name of the street we live on (well I can say it but no one understands it!) so I couldn't call McDonald's or anything.

Sorry no useful suggestions for the lunch thing :(
  • Jurgen_Kluft
    Jurgen_Kluft Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Happy Chinese new year!

Been living in Shanghai now for 7.5 years. I have no problem eating many good foods according to www.bulletproofexec.com.
    Things like avocado, grass-fed butter, good quality milk, eggs, vegetables.

My wife is Shanghainees and i live with their parents, we have a 5 year old daughter and the next baby is due for beginning of March 2013.
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Happy New year! I was looking for a group based in Hong Kong. There doesn't seem to be one, but I found you all instead! Hope you're willing to take me....one forum, two systems, and all that ? ;-) Kung Hei Fat Choi!
  • rogerbosch
    Options
    Welcome Genkimom and xinnian kuaile.

The gym is closed here during these days and I miss working out. Also tracking calories is hard with all this dining out... Luckily all is almost back to normal.
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah CNY is no fun if you have to track your calories and with the gym being closed there isn't much chance of working off those calories. But thankfully next week is back to the grind so hopefully we'll all get back on track!
  • cplanoue41
    Options
    Good to have the gyms back open....I might have over done it a bit in my excitement to get back in the gym.
  • rogerbosch
    Options
    Good to have the gyms back open....I might have over done it a bit in my excitement to get back in the gym.

Lol - I know the feeling!
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Im going to china for my first time ever in april for 2 weeks on vacation
  • rogerbosch
    Options
    Nice. Which part of China?
  • sparrett
    sparrett Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Jurgen_Kluft,
    I started the bulletproofexc way of eating about 6 weeks ago. It's pretty much the same clean-eating as before but I've replaced my breakfast with bullet proof coffee and fats with coconut oils and grass fed butter. That coffee is AMAZING! It keeps me going from 8am till the mid afternoon before I'm hungry again but I know I'm not starving my body of essential calories due to the lack of a crash. Not only that, but I feel GREAT! I fully support this and highly recommend everyone to check out the sight and replace their Dan-Bin breakfast with a butter-coffee. Read before you judge!

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/
  • sparrett
    Options
    Happy Chinese new year!

Been living in Shanghai now for 7.5 years. I have no problem eating many good foods according to www.bulletproofexec.com.
    Things like avocado, grass-fed butter, good quality milk, eggs, vegetables.

Jurgen_Kluft,
    I started the bulletproofexc way of eating about 6 weeks ago. It's pretty much the same clean-eating as before but I've replaced my breakfast with bullet proof coffee and fats with coconut oils and grass fed butter. That coffee is AMAZING! It keeps me going from 8am till the mid afternoon before I'm hungry again but I know I'm not starving my body of essential calories due to the lack of a crash. Not only that, but I feel GREAT! I fully support this and highly recommend everyone to check out the sight and replace their Dan-Bin breakfast with a butter-coffee. Read before you judge!

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nice. Which part of China?

Shanghai and beijing
  • TiaTia2003
    TiaTia2003 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My family and I moved to Beijing almost 4 years ago. Since then, I have either been nursing or pregnant (boy 4 & girl 1). In 2005-2006 I lost 50 pounds following Weight Watchers and I am still a lifetime member and keep track of my points. I recently gained 10 pounds after I stopped nursing our daughter and I'm looking to lose that again.

As for living in China, I've developed a few strategies when it comes to food. Our family eats out a lot. I rarely if ever eat the rice or noodles. If the dish looks especially greasy, I will get the bowl of rice and use it as my plate. I will get a bite and let it sit on the rice. The rice acts as a sort of blotter for the oil. This also helps me eat more slowly. I find I don't eat nearly as much processed food here. Just lots of fresh fruit and veg.

I think someone was talking about the food labels being covered by a Chinese sticker. I bring a little wet sponge in a plastic bag when I go shopping. I scrub the sticker with the sponge and the paper comes off enough to see the info. I need this to check for calories and to calculate my WW points. If I decide not to buy it, I just put it back on the shelf and assume I'm helping some other English speaker.

My biggest challenge and the reason I joined MFP is my lack of exercise. This has nothing to do with living in China, I've always been a very inconsistent exerciser. I need to learn to make it a regular part of my day so I can keep the weight off and keep up with my very active kids.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone found it useful. Feel free to add me as a friend. I need the accountability.

WWnChina
  • sparrett
    Options
    WWnChina
    What a GREAT idea about rice as a blotter for oil! And I'm totally taking your wet sponge idea. Sure beats trying to guess what a 100g of a product would break down to.
  • cplanoue41
    Options
    Wet sponge trick going into my playbook!
  • tamweston
    tamweston Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AHH, finally a group of people who understand!! Hello expats! :) it's refreshing to find other people who find trying to log things in 中国 tricky, to say the least!
    I live in Guangzhou and Beijing.
    Quick question, in GZ the air is decent enough to go running outside, but what do you people do in Beijing (or other smoggy cities) in terms of exercise? Is really the only option the gym?