packed lunches?

Options
I have school and work all day, and where I live I cant go home to eat lunch. Therefore, I have to pack a lunch. Cold sandwiches and plain fruit get old, so i need some help.
what are some good things I can pack for my lunch!?

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Most the time I make extra for dinner (there are two of us but I cook for at least 4) then have the leftovers for lunch. It usually works out to the same amount of work to make 4 servings as it does to make 2 :)

Other things we do for lunches:

- homemade three bean salads
    - homemade salads with whole grains (quinoa, bulgur, etc.) and veggies
    - homemade hummus with veggie slices and pita
    - homemade baked chicken samosas
    - sandwich wraps (whole wheat tortilla, meat, cheese, veg)
    - yogurt
    - cottage cheese
    - hard boiled eggs
    - fruit

Making stuff from scratch helps keep the cost way down :)
  • lb617611
    Options
    Thanks! that really helps, I suck at being creative with food!
  • Suzi_Pants
    Suzi_Pants Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I second the dinner leftovers- I do that all the time! I also love packing salads- you can use either baggies or little containers to separate things out so they don't get soggy in the meantime. Also, I'm a huge fan of bringing veggies and hummus along with some nuts and maybe a chunk of some grainy bread as well. If you have access to a microwave, soups also work really well!
  • 789L
    789L Posts: 7
    Options
    I've also been looking for some new healthy packed lunch options. A lot of these are great! Thanks for the suggestions. Ive recently started taking a slice of frittata (made with egg whites, spinach, and other veggies) which I make ahead of time.
  • hitomimay
    Options
    Making extra on weekends and dinners have definitely been a life-saver: easy on the wallet and the waist. :)
    I suggest you look up some of your favorite low-calorie meals. Here are some of my personal favorite low-calorie foods that I like to pack for lunch:
    1/8 of a pie of quiche: ~250 calories
    2 steak enchiladas: ~300 calories
    16 oz baked/broiled salmon: ~250 calories

I would say my biggest enemy (and the hardest temptation to resist) are the carbs, especially breads. Thus, I suggest avoiding sandwiches because each slice can add up to your daily allotment.
  • Frag_Bunny
    Frag_Bunny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make a weeks worth of food on sunday and just make sure its easy to store or freeze. (My crock pot is my best friend). I'm at school 14 hrs a day so i have to literally take all my food for the day with me. I bought a japanese bento box which also helps because i can fit my food for the day in it and only a normal portion size will fit. I take things like:

mason jar salads
    sheppards pie
    chicken pot pie
    apples with natural peanut butter
    crackers and cheese
    lettuce wraps
    chili
    stews
    soups
    pasta salads
    stuffed peppers
  • Kmbuckley88
    Kmbuckley88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm at school usually 12-14 hours a day (the joys of being a grad. student!) I've found getting up a bit earlier and cooking/prepping for the whole day has helped a lot. That way, I can figure out from the start if I have any wiggle room for snacks, and have dinner to look forward to mostly ready when I get home. The leftovers from dinner the night before are a lifesaver! And I get by with lots of Clif and Luna bars and fruit.
  • Keekomary
    Keekomary Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a thermos food jar http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-King-16-Ounce-Midnight/dp/B0017IFSIS/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_z and I use it to pack beans (I cook them in a crockpot overnight), soups, stews, etc. It makes it so I can do almost all of my cooking either overnight or on the weekends, heat it up in the morning and throw it in the thermos. It stays hot all day, so even if I need to eat dinner on campus I can. The crockpot trick is my personal favorite because the food is already hot in the morning. The thermos is a bit pricey but it's completely worth it for the convenience. My boyfriend and I both have one now, and he's not even trying to lose weight -- he just likes how easy it is!
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    often I will make a big pot of soup or something in the crockpot on sunday and eat it through the week. And then I mix up may snacks each day to keep it interesting. carrots/celery & hummus, apples and PB, yogurt and berries etc etc etc.

white chicken chili for this week!
  • magpie525
    magpie525 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to use the weekends to make food for the week. Crockpot meals, big stir fries, sauteed veggies and a protein (tofu, sausage, ground mince). I'll sometimes make a base e.g. onion, tomato, mince and a green veggie that's great on its own (or over rice or pasta). I'm a big fan of frozen veg sides e.g. broccoli, green beans, medleys; put a few different kinds in the freezer at work so you have choices throughout the week. Two to three minutes in the microwave and you've got a meal that's a lot healthier (and generally tastier) than subway or the cafeteria.
    Individual cheeses (string cheese, laughing cow) are a great snack and protein boost, or a cup of yogurt (a great breakfast, especially if you mix in some almonds and granola or berries).
  • nishaejay
    Options
    Hi,

I am in grad school and I am finding it so hard to eat the right amount of calories a day. Recently, I have been eating too few. My schedule is so busy. I usually don't eat breakfast...I eat lunch, and eat a huge dinner when I get out of class at night because I am soooo hungry. I believe that's where my weight gain comes from. I am going to start packing my lunch and small snacks I can eat through out the day. I really have to push myself to eat breakfast, but I will try :)
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am in grad school and I am finding it so hard to eat the right amount of calories a day. Recently, I have been eating too few. My schedule is so busy. I usually don't eat breakfast...I eat lunch, and eat a huge dinner when I get out of class at night because I am soooo hungry. I believe that's where my weight gain comes from. I am going to start packing my lunch and small snacks I can eat through out the day. I really have to push myself to eat breakfast, but I will try :)

Meal timing and frequency does not cause weight gain if you're at a calorie deficit!! But yeah if you're not eating enough that could definitely affect the efficiency of your fat loss!!! Pack your snacks and good luck :D