Fake Meat products.

Options
photojunk
photojunk Posts: 135 Member
While i was a vegetarian and in the first few months of becoming vegan i used a lot of quorn or linda mccartney products that imitate meat. Now that i have been vegan for 2 years i find that i can't eat anything that looks or smells like meat. I have this vegan lincolnshire sausage mix sat in the back of my cupboard and even though i know it has a lot of protein and isn't real meat, i can't get past the sick feeling when i see the picture on the packet.

Anyone else struggle with eating faux-meat?

Replies

• JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Im getting that way with ssome of the Gardien chicken patties that really have a meat texture. It starts to turn my stomach over. I do like the boca crumbles still however.
  • RatRace675
    RatRace675 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, but on the whole I love my mock meats. Not only are the high in protein, I like the flavour, but, if they are too realistic, I really don't like them. Going back 6 or 7 years I used to love the Linda McCartney country pies, but I stopped eating them before I turned vegan as I found them too meaty. I've found it is normally the beef flavoured products I find too realistic for my liking. Frys and Redwoods are the manufacturers of most my favourite faux meats.
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    I don't have mock meat very often, but when I do, I love it. I love Fry's Vegetarian products and Sanitarium products.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Field Roast sausages are so meat-like that the first time I had one, I wasn't sure I could eat it. But I do like them cut up/chopped up in stuffings or things like that. I just can't eat them plain!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    For the most part no. I like them. They help me get in my protein that I need so desperately. I really like my Yves hot dogs. Mmmm
  • yum2leal
    yum2leal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm from the Philipppines. Unfortunately the only fake meat products that we have is what we call Veggie Meat. My problem is that there seems to be very limited calorie/ nutritional info in the data base when it comes to food with fake meat products. I tried searching for veggie meat and what came up is Veat which seems to have almost the same calories compared to a Pork or Beef. Does it mean that fake meat products just have the same calories with Pork or Beef? Would anyone out there know the calories in fake meat products?

Thanks for the help.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    No problem at all as I don't think of them as flesh substitutes but just alternative foods to expand my dietary options - also quick fixes if I don't have the inclination or time to prepare a meal from scratch.

Tofu - now is that a flesh substitute or a bean based convenience food?
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use tofu to replace chicken so I guess you could call it a flesh substitute but my meat eating friends tell me they are nothing alike so I guess the jury is still out on that one
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    same with "burgers" or "veg-fingers" that are made of a mixture of vegetables and rolled in breadcrumbs - I think of those as rissoles or cutlets rather than substitute burgers or fish fingers.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I used to eat meat replacements all the time when I first became veg, but over the years I've grown to dislike them. My nutritionist actually says this is good because of the amount of processed soy and sodium that are found in these items. However, my husband still likes them, so I try to only do one per week for dinner.
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty iffy with some stuff, but it does depend on the realism. I still like veggie dogs, especially the Lightlife brand, but I try not to eat them too often because just like regular hot dogs, they're pretty processed. I recently tried the Lightlife ground beef/sauage stuff to make a meatloaf ...and whoa. WAY too much like meat for me! It actually grossed me out a little because it was creepily realistic, at least as far as I remember.

I don't care for veggie burgers too much anymore simply because I'm sick of them and only see them as a last resort if they have it as my only option at a restaurant. I do love tofu and seitan. Not too big for tempeh.

If I HAD to eat fake meat though, I'd pick either Quorn products or certain Lightlife ones...they're the best tasting in my opinion. But either way, I don't get them often or depend on them for protein because they are so processed.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Not having a go at all but just to mention, Quorn contains egg. They used to use battery hen eggs but switched to free range in line with public pressure, but even so with a company as large as Quorn I doubt those free range hens get quite so good a deal as we would like to think.

Shame as I liked Quorn products.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The only fake meat products I eat would be the occasional Field Roast sausage, cut up and in a dish. Otherwise, I get my protein from grains/beans/veggies.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered Seitan and made it myself the pulled BBQ seitan sandwich was not bad at all
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating fake meat doesn't really gross me out but I find that I have no desire or need to eat it. A few times a year I will eat soy chorizo. But eating all that processed, unfermented soy really messes with my digestion. The seitan I've had is good but it's just gluten, which also makes me feel gross. Also, for me, being vegan is about eating whole foods. Fake meat products (along with fake milk, fake cheese, fake ice cream, oreos, etc.) are the total opposite of that so it does not jive with my food rules. So in general I avoid meat substitutes and processed food.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Tonight I went to an Asian vegan restaurant--that serves mock meat--it was like eating edible rubber with barbecue sauce! :sick:

I make these awesome meatballs from raw almonds and sun-dried tomatoes--fresh oregano that I can freeze---
    it's delicious whether fresh made or thawed---tastes like the texture of hamburger---but all natural --and good for you

and hands down--beats the commercial fake meat anytime
    Once you do that--it's harder and harder to eat that other stuff
  • superbeacon
    Options
    Perhaps it's best to steer clear of even the processed "fake meat" products in the shop? You can make your own at home just as well, and without preservatives. :)
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i don't really miss meat -- even when i was an omnivore, i didn't eat a lot of meat -- so i don't regularly use fake meat. however, on occasion i will have a veggie burger or tofurkey, just to mix things up and give me some different flavours.
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't used them often just because they're processed. I try to make everything from raw and pure ingredients. The fact it resembles meat doesn't really bother me, but the fact that it is processed does.