Low T?

Options
FLfitguy
FLfitguy Posts: 22 Member
Since it's all men can we talk about Low T? I have energy and normal libido. I'm not much overweight. So O didn't suspect low T. But I complained to doctor I don't bulk up as much as I'd like considering the amount I exercise. So he tested my blood. My testosterone is "normal" but he says he can supplement it to what it was when I was 30. Plus Human Growth Hormone. This is all new and my next appointment is this week. So who has experience with this who can give me advice?

By the way I'm new so add me as a friend if you'd like to discuss such things.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with borderline Low T. I went through a series of shots to boost it. I skipped on the HGH, but did experience improved energy and libido. My travel schedule made staying with the regimen difficult. I've considered going back to it this year.
  • henryvg2
    henryvg2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had a period of mostly low libido, so went and talked with my physician. He agreed with me that this might be a testosterone deficiency, since I'm 58. So we had blood work done. Nope. but we had a good discussion about this while the tests were pending. He and I are quite non-prescription unless needed, and both of us agreed that the main reason I even had the question was that I had been marketed by television ads. His suggestion was to develop better hobbies than sitting in front of a machine whose main purpose is to tell you you're unhappy unless you buy THIS. and THIS.

I'm sure that there are a number of men out there that have a deficiency in their levels, but my guess is that most guys that are seeking this out are looking for a simple way to regain their youth. If you are seeing this kind of symptoms, my suggestion would be to talk to your physician, but also to look into yourself and honestly determine if you are unhappy with something in your life, or just responding to a powerful suggestion from a advertisement.
  • FLfitguy
    FLfitguy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me I questioned the doctor. Tests showed T to be normal but that's for my age. Doc says he puts it back to that of a 35 yo. He said if insulin was low I wouldn't hesitate to increase it. I trust the man. But I've had same questions as you.
  • Jbrill65
    Jbrill65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's emerging evidence that a lot of the low T hype is created by the drug companies--shocker.

For a very thoughtful review, see this article from Dr. Dave Rakel of the University of Wisconsin https://www.abihm.org/optimizing-hormone-balance-in-men
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Actually,, my DR diagnosed it years ago, (probably 9 or 10) and I had the patches for a while, and now am on the inject able. At the time there were no TV commercials about it, and I actually had to go on the internet to research it. It was the first time I had ever heard of it. While at another Dr. ( a pulminoligist, for sleep apnea) we were discussing my prescription medication, and he explained to me that being overweight, I tended to produce estrogen rather than testosterone, and until I lost weight, my T would continue to drop. Not uncommon among overweight people, and my sleep apnea had caused me to gain loads of weight!! I have been on it for that many years, but unfortunately, there is actually a shortage of the drug nowadays, and I sometimes can go for a couple of months until the pharmacy can get their stock level in. (three different pharmacies, including my insurance company sponsored mail in pharmacy had the problem.) I can feel a difference when I go for more than a month or so without a treatment.
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have my doctor test me several times, every time I ask he rolls his eyes. He says I am within normal range. I just know I am low for me. I am thinking of trying new doctor. Any of you guys had success with injectables