Homemade Protein Bars

Options
amanda6393
amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
For those of you who use protein powder post workout, you can make your own protein bars SOOOO much cheaper and better than buying them.
Here is the basic recipe: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/diy-protein-bars-healthy-bars-in-5-easy-steps.html.
I use:
1/2 cup chocolate whey protein
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond milk
25 g chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp flax meal
30g 85% dark chocolate
Mix together all the ingredients except the chocolate, and shape into 3 bar shapes. Melt the chocolate in the microwave and pour over each bar. Allow to set in the fridge. Makes 3 x 60g bars.
You can leave out the walnuts and flax meal for a more basic bar or add your own ingredients such as chopped dates, coconut flakes or other seeds/nuts. I put mine in small zip lock bags for individual serves.

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    bump...sound good! thanks!! I need to up my protein , everything else is on par ...just can't seem to get enough protein!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump - sounds like a great easy recipe! Thanks for posting.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome, thanks!
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Is whey paleo? I thought it was diary derivative? I'm not criticizing, just genuinely curious.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Is whey paleo? I thought it was diary derivative? I'm not criticizing, just genuinely curious.

No, it is not paleo. However, some still choose to partake. For instance, the guys on The Caveman Doctor podcast. And they claim to have good results with it. Robb Wolf says that he believes most people will do better without it. I tend to find Robb Wolf nails things the vast majority of the time.

Beyond the dairy/processed/fake food issue, it can spike insulin levels, which most people are trying to avoid.

As with most everything else, if you want to try it, give it a whirl and see how you do. But do it smartly. and change just one thing at a time.

EDIT: Ambiguous ambiguity in a sentence made less ambiguous.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    [/quote

maybe you could use hemp protein?? or a vegan protein?
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Now you're just being silly.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Now you're just being silly.

Vegan protein = weird protein.

That said, if you're not interested in using whey (lactose intolerant, digestive issues, strict Paleo, etc), you can get your hands on egg white protein powder. It does exist, I kid you not.

Hell, there's even beef protein powder.
    ElitePrimal-BR-Facts.jpg
    Blue-berry beef. Mmmm...