Warming up

Options
shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
So, I never warm up before I lift. I just jump right into it. I don't really know what I should do to warm up. Can someone help me? Should I lift half the weight I'm gonna lift? If so, how many reps/sets? Or what should I do.

Replies

• shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey girlie, I warm up with a lighter weight for the equivalent of one set then jump into it. I also do a little cardio for 5-10 mins before just to get the body warm.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Personally... I do one circuit of 50% of the max weight for the day for as many reps I'm going to lift that day. For example I've started doing Wendler's 5/3/1. On "bench press A" day I'll do one set of 10 reps bench press, and one set of 10 reps one arm DB row at 50% max weight for those exercises in the cycle. After that warm up I'll get on with the main lift and assistance.

When I was going a compound lift circuit I would do the same thing; one trip though at 50% weight for 8 reps, then the rest at whatever progression I was on. I feel that does a good job of warming up the muscles and giving them a preview of the work that is about to happen.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Hey girlie, I warm up with a lighter weight for the equivalent of one set then jump into it. I also do a little cardio for 5-10 mins before just to get the body warm.

What kind of cardio do u do?

Thank u kyodi!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of not warming up properly. Thanks for posting this.... enjoying the replies.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I like to warm up thoroughly, I find I work much better if I have my heart pumping and a good sweat on. I do 4 mins light rowing, then 5 x 30 sec sprints on the rower then 10 x 20 sec sprints, 10 secs rest on the bikes. I will then do a slower warm up with 75% of the weight I will be using (first excercises are usually compounds) for 15-20 reps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you doing stronglifts? I cannot recall.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I HAD to start implementing a slowly expanding warm up session before lifting. I'd been going in cold for too long. Cold muscles, cold, dry unlubricated joints. My knee started to pay. Then it really started to pay.

Im slowly making my warm up longer, but then again, im slowly adding more to every level of my workouts, so by this summer, I should have a good solid 15 minute warm up for arms, another for legs, another for both that is even longer.

I am NOT playing around anymore - i just need to feel my joints starting to warm up and quit popping and moving easier before I will go over to the weights now. No thank you @ cold lifting. NO.
  • shorty35565
    Options

No I'm not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No I'm not.

Sorry, this one dropped off the radar.

What routine are you doing?