vegan breakfast

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
im pretty sick of toast and oatmeal
fruit and smoothies just dont fill me up
has anyone got any other ideas for a quick breakfast thats not too calorific and is filling?

Replies

• azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Think outside the box...just because it's "breakfast" time doesn't mean you have to eat traditional breakfast-like foods. I've had lentils for breakfast before! Tofu scrambles with lots of veggies are really good and not too bad calorie-wise, definitely fills you up more.

Look at what would normally fill you up and figure out a way to make it kind of breakfast-y. :)
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    tofu scramble

variations on oatmeal/quinoa porridge (ohsheglows.com) has some good ones. I'm addicted to her Carrot Cake Cake Oatmeal (I make it with quinoa though).
  • sn_etuk
    sn_etuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had lentils for breakfast this morning. Lentil soup and a slice of whole-grain bread did just fine, and right about 300 calories total.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If I had time to cook: Tofu scramble with lots of kale mixed in

Most mornings lately: Toast with hummus (sometimes with a slice of vegan fish ham on top and vegan caviar, other times with a spoonful of chili from the previous dinner) and a while later, a protein shake with added psyllium husk powder (you can add oats too). The extra fiber really fills you up.

When I get my Vitamix: Tons and tons of greens and pseudograins!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Flax seed flap jacks
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bread (or rice cakes) with hummus are really nice for breakfast. And yeah, tofu scrambles involve some cooking but are pretty easy and filling. :)

Don't be afraid to consider less "traditional" breakfast foods. Sometimes I'll just eat leftovers (beans & rice are great in the morning) or even soup. I've been known to make miso soup with seaweed and eat that for breakfast. :)

As for smoothies, what are you putting in yours? Maybe you could modify your recipe to make it more filling. When I make a smoothie I usually do about a cup of almond milk, half a block of silken tofu (about 6 oz), half a cup of frozen fruit, a tbsp of maple syrup or other sweetener, a spoonful of chia or flax seeds, and then occasionally a tbsp of peanut butter for good measure depending on what else I've had that day. For my appetite that does the trick just fine!
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You could always add in protein powder to your smoothies to make it more filling and get in some extra protein. I find that smoothies don't fill me in the morning either. Lately I have been very lazy and have the same thing most mornings. Some variation of tofu scramble with spinach mushrooms and onions, ezekiel cinnamon sprouted raisin bread, grits with some adobo, gimme lean sausage patties. If I wake up later than what is normally considered a breakfast time I will have leftovers or a sandwich.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Puffed kamut is my current breakfast with a table spoon of sets and dried fruit added. The kamut is high in volume so you feel great having a massive bowl.

I love steamed spinach garlic mushrooms home made baked beans and scrambled tofu is the best.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, beans on toast is another good one! Heinz baked beans (the British kind in the teal can) are vegetarian and you can find them in some large supermarkets in the US. There are also American-style vegetarian baked beans, which are much sweeter than their British counterparts, but they'll do the trick!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yeah lentils! One cup of lentils with about 2 cups of spinach, including stems! This morning I added in half a scoop of plain brown rice protein powder. The lentils would also be good with tomatoes and other veggies or some salsa on top. I've been eating one tablespoon of peanut butter while I prep my lentils. Today my breakfast was ~440 calories with a whopping 40 g protein! Soon I'm going to experiment with quiche/fritatta that I can fix ahead of time and eat over a few days.
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Museli
    Baked beans
    A big Turkish bread salad sandwich
    Porridge
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a raw foodist so some may consider my choices to be more limited than a regular vegan, but I still have lots and lots of options for breakfast (and thank god, because it's my favourite meal!) Some faves:

-chia pudding
    -granola/muesli, fruit & nut milk
    -chocolate pudding (banana, avocado, cocoa powder, nut milk)
    -raw pancakes (banana, shredded coconut, cinnamon, chia seeds + whatever other toppings you want)

You said smoothies aren't very filling, which I found as well, until I started using greens. Before I'd fill half the blender with milk, fruit and ice - now after I'm done that, I'll fill the other half with loosely-packed kale/spinach, and it fills me up for hours! Also, you can hardly taste it :o)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ezekial Sprout bread toast topped with a mashed banana combined with ground flax and vanilla, topped with roasted walnuts.

Twice baked sweet Potatoe. I add chopped up apple and roasted walnuts with a little oat milk, to the yam mash, put it back in the skin and broil for a short time to reheat. I eat half one day, half the next. It tastes like a dessert and is very filling.

Yesterday I made oat milk from oatmeal as a low fat alternative to soy or nut milks. since I love oatmeal, it's a great choice.

Irish steel cut oatmeal with flax seed and a fruit never gets old.

or smoothies a frozen banana or half of an avocado makes them filling for me.

Dawn
  • RabbitLuvr37
    RabbitLuvr37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat Cream of Wheat hot cereal. I cook it with (sweetened) vanilla almond milk instead of water (same amount), and before heating I throw in five or six frozen blueberries, directly from the freezer.

I have a waffle iron, so once every couple months I make a huge batch of waffles and freeze them.

Otherwise, I just eat whatever is around. I don't care if it's not a "breakfast" food.
  • vegan_mama34
    Options
    i most times have a nature valley fruit and nut trail mix bar (140 cal) and a banana (105 cal) and maybe 8oz (1cup) of Trop50 orange juice with added calcium and vitamin D (50 cal).
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same breakfast until I get tired of it. My current breakfast (which I am loving) is : Almond Dream Yogurt, fresh berries & granola all mixed together. It's odd I decided on this because I hadn't had granola since I was a kid! I just got a craving for it a few days ago!

I love tofu or tempeh scrambles too or a baked vegan goodie.
    Isa Chandra has a wonderful cookbook titled Vegan Brunch. I have to modify the oil though to make it low fat.