What's for dinner?

Options
daniat
daniat Posts: 123 Member
Dinner is one of the more challenging meals for me, because I have to accommodate the taste and health of 3 people. Let's share our dinner menus and any modifications to make it kid or husband friendly.

Monday

- Balsamic, garlic and herb marinated rack of lamb. I put it to marinate the refrigerator in the morning. Seared it on both sides in an oven proof skillet. Then stuck it in the oven at about 150 C and cooked it for about 20 minutes for medium.

Zucchini, tomato and onion sauteed in butter- so good!

For my husband and daughter I added mint jelly for the lamb and some boiled new potatoes.

Everyone was very happy and satiated!

I still came in way under carbs.

I will post a pic if I can figure out how to do it.

What did everyone else have for dinner?

Replies

• dc729
    dc729 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Monday: Cheeseburgers (for me wrapped in a large lettuce leaf with tomato and onion slices and low sugar ketchup) and salad (french fries for them).
  • shaymonieq
    shaymonieq Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made the cloud bread for the 1st time I loved it and some grilled chicken with peas:bigsmile:
  • dc729
    Options
    What's Cloud Bread? Sounds delicious! Sara Lee makes a bread that only has 45 calories and 5 net carbs per slice. It tastes like regular bread. It's called 45 Calories & Delightful 100% Whole Wheat Bread.

Tonight's dinner.....chicken noodle soup for them because they are all sick. I made the soup out of deli rotisserie chicken so I could make myself a chicken taco with part of the breast. I bought the Mission Whole Wheat Carb Balance tortillas. Yum!
  • shaymonieq
    shaymonieq Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Its really good I got the it off here I saw someone else make it:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Cloud Bread
    3 eggs, separated
    3 tablespoons whole milk cottage cheese or 3 tablespoons cream cheese
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1pk (1 g) packet artificial sweetener
    Directions: 1 Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 2 Separate the eggs very carefully, there must be no yolk in the white. 3 In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 T. of Cottage Cheese OR Cream Cheese and the one packet of Sweetener until smooth. 4 In the other bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form nice peaks. 5 Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed, but try and not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much. 6 Spray two cookie sheets with Pam or other fat-free cooking spray. 7 With a large spoon, "scoop" the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets (about the size of the top-half of the McDonalds hamburger bun; roughly 3/4 inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across). 8 Bake on the middle rack. Here is when you have to watch them, because the cooking time the same on any two batches. It is somewhere around 1/2 hour, but it could be less or more. You just need to watch them until them become nice and golden brown (again, the color of a McDonalds bun). 9 Remove from the pans and cool on a rack or cutting board. 10 While warm they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue - but don't let this fool you! Once completely cool, seal them in a ziplock storage baggie or a tupperware over night. They will totally change their consistency, to something much more like bread - a softer texture that is nice and chewy. If you do not like softer chewy bread, then eat them as they are, nice and crisp. 11 Since the sides that were facing the pan are perfectly flat, you use these to spread things on, or make sandwiches, or even as a burger bun! The choice is up to you, and you will be quite amazed at how much like a bun these really are!
  • dc729
    Options
    Wow! I'm definitely going to try that! Thanks so much for sharing.
  • daniat
    Options
    Those cloud breads do sound great. Thanks for posting the recipe. Sounds like something they used to call an oopsie roll. I think I might try it to make a BL:-). Sorry your family are ill DC. I'm battling the flu myself. I've been living off low carb chicken ginger soup for the past two days. Quite yummy actually!
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My challenge is feeding husband/two college students still at home/fiancee of one son/girlfriend of other son. They all have different tastes. I finally decided they were going to have to eat what I eat, like it or not, except for the occasional pizza I order out for them (wings for me). Last night, I made beef enchiladas with low carb tortillas - they gobbled them up and never knew the difference. I used grass-fed beef and 2 cans of enchilada sauce with shredded cheese - basically followed the instructions on the can. I also heated up a can of refried beans for them (no temptation there). When I fix a carb for them, I usually fix rice. I've never much cared for rice, so there's no temptation there either. The other night, I roasted a whole chicken and fixed a side of green beans, rice for them, and a side of sauteed collard greens. The crazy thing is my sons both gobbled up the collard greens! I was shocked. I just sauteed them in minced garlic/oil/chicken broth until they were limp and the liquid was gone.

Linda's Low Carb Menus has some great meal ideas: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

I'm going to have to try the cloud bread now!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    my grand daughter made tuna, and my mouth was watering for a sandwich. did like debbie and used a big lettuce leaf as bread, tomato, onion slices - wow!
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    now i see the recipe for cloud bread - i shall do that
  • daniat
    Options
    That lettuce leaf tip came in handy for me yesterday. I met friends for lunch at a Thai restaurant . I really did not feel like having a salad, so I have ginger chicken and wrapped it in lettuce leaves. It was soooo good! Thanks for the tip.

Tonight is pizza night. I'm going to attempt the chicken breast crust pizza. Will let you guys know how it worked out.

more here for tips about attribution and supporting your favorite recipe developers.

Low Carb Deep Dish Pan Pizza

1.5 cups packed cup cooked, minced chicken breast
    1.5 cups packed mozzarella, shredded
    1 Tbsp parsley, dried
    1 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
    2. Process chicken and cheese together. Mixture will resemble a meal/thick, dense crumb consistency.
    3. Place a parchment in the bottom of a 10″ springform cheesecake pan (remove excess from below the pan after pan seals parchment in place).
    4. Firmly press chicken/cheese mixture into springform pan.
    5. Top with parsley, basil, onion and garlic powder.
    6. Bake for 20 minutes.
    7. Top with sauce, cheese, and rest of toppings.
    8. Bake for 20 more minutes.
    9. Let cool for five minutes in pan.
    9. Carefully open springform pan.
    10. Slice and serve.

Nutritional information per 1/8 pizza: Calories: 193, Carbohydrates: 1 g , Fiber: 0 g, Net Carbohydrates: 1g , Protein: 22 g, Fat: 10g.
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    The pizza brings back days of carbing when pizza came into the picture. my friend and i would scrape the topping off the pizza and have a glob of mess. but it was still edible ya know!
  • daniat
    Options
    I used to just eat the toppings too! I wanted something a bit more substantial this time around. The recipe did not turn out brilliantly, but I think I did not cook it long enough. I'll try it again this weekend and keep you guys posted.
  • dc729
    Options
    Dinner tonight: Shrimp stir fry!!! With rice for them!
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The other day I made homemade burgers. I sauteed onions and mushrooms in butter and added a bit of Worchestershire Sauce to those. They had buns, I just smothered mine with the mushrooms and onions and cheese and ate it with a fork. It was very good.

My family likes cream sauces and the like, so a lot of times I am able to make the same meal for all of us. Also, they pretty much almost never cook, so they are at my mercy as to what they get to eat. If they don't like what I am cooking, they can make something else. LOL!
  • dc729
    Options
    Tonight I'm making BBQ Pork Ribs! Yummy! I have to google a sugar free BBQ sauce recipe. I couldn't find one at the store.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For dinners, I always try to pair a protein with veggie and load up on the fat.
    I plan my weekly meals,
    So dinners are as follows:
    Mon: Salmon and brussel sprouts
    Tues: Cream Cheese stuffed pork loin and spinach salad
    Wed: Shrimp and spaghetti squash (kinda like a take on shrimp alfredo)
    Thurs: Pork chops with mashed cauliflour
    Fri: Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast with an endive salad
    Sat: Tri-tip steak with brocolli cheese cassrole
    Sun: Chicken Wings and celery
    :)