Galaxy Cheese Alternatives?

Options
msleanlegs
msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
I was looking for cheese alternatives and saw online that there are Galaxy products at a BetterHealth store near me. Was thinking of getting the soy-based grated parmesan flavor and the mozzarella style shreds. Worth getting or better off using plain tofu?

Replies

• vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    for me - no. Daiya is the go to on the mozzarella, cheddar, or pepper jack. If I'm looking for something to put on pasta, it would be nutritional yeast.
  • RabbitLuvr37
    RabbitLuvr37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you're vegan, be sure to read the ingredients, as some Galaxy products contain dairy. (Don't get me started on dairy-alternatives that contain dairy...)

I haven't tried Galaxy, as all the stores near me only carry the products with dairy.

I LOVE Daiya cheddar and pepper jack shreds but don't care for the mozzarella, so I'd try the Galaxy mozzarella shreds if I could find them.
  • msleanlegs
    Options
    Went to the store today. Ended up getting Daiya because the Galaxy stuff had milk in it. Ugh, I really don't get the purpose of that.

So glad I had to get the Daiya cheese. Got the pepperjack shreds and it is awesome!!! Good right out of the bag. The price is a little high, but worth it when I have a hankering for cheese. Going to Trader Joe's tomorrow for the weekly shopping and check if they carry any vegan cheeses (never bothered to check before).
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's in my area now sells a vegan mozzarella (looks like Daiya private labelled)!
  • RabbitLuvr37
    RabbitLuvr37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's in my area now sells a vegan mozzarella (looks like Daiya private labelled)!

According to the Laziest Vegans in the World website, the Trader Joe's vegan mozz is Galaxy brand under TJ's label. But it is vegan!
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The vegan Galaxy shreds aren't bad. I've put them on baked mostaccioli and I didn't want to die.
  • Pepanepa
    Pepanepa Posts: 3
    Options
    We blend half yeast, nearly half cashew nuts, pinch of salt, add garlic powder if want. Nice on pasta and salads. Unprocessed whole foods - yum:-)
  • msleanlegs
    Options
    Cashew nuts is something I keep meaning to try. Cashews are such a weakness of mine, though. I may wait awhile before buying a bag...gotta get this weight loss moving along first.
  • kimclenard
    kimclenard Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love the Trader Joe's vegan shreds and yes they are Galaxy re-branded. It is great on a veggie pizza or in vegan lasagna and last week I made some enchiladas with some shreds on top.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also love daiya when I need that cheesy fix. It melts very easily. For parmesean (I know I spelled that wrong).... I just use nutritional yeast. It's really good on popcorn.