Squat rack is always taken.

Options
More of a rant than anything. Every time I go to the gym, the squat rack is surrounded
by tons of dudes. I've gone super early, as well as mid morning and it's still ALWAYS
occupied.

My question is;

Do any of you guys have a home gym set up?
How much did it cost to put it together?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge when I get my tax return.

Thanks!

Replies

• chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and I LOVE it. NO waiting for squat racks, no worrying about whether the child care is open, NO excuse that it is too cold outside and I don't want to drive (5 mins) to the YMCA.

I inherited a bench and dumbbells from hubby. Then I scoured Craigslist and got a great deal on 2 barbells and a weight set. Finally, for Christmas said hubby got me a nice, shiny powerrack. The barbells/plates and power rack combined ran me about $500. So worth it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't but we've shopped around a bit. Used, in my area, you might be able to pick up a squat rack, barbell, weights, and a bench for somewhere around 500ish (with a lot of craigslist stalking and luck) If you can find one, or can afford new, a power rack is a better choice than a squat rack because it will let you use it to bench press with it, as long as its got good hole-spacing. For the record you don't NEED a spot on the bench (there are ways to save yourself and none of us are benching the kind of weight where we actually have to worry about letting it rest on our chests for a while) but its nice to have it.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    More of a rant than anything. Every time I go to the gym, the squat rack is surrounded
    by tons of dudes. I've gone super early, as well as mid morning and it's still ALWAYS
    occupied.

My question is;

Do any of you guys have a home gym set up?
    How much did it cost to put it together?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge when I get my tax return.

Thanks!

I have one in my garage I bought used. For under $400 I got a solid weight bench with squat rack, olympic weight set (300 lbs including 45 lb bar) plus a weight tree ... thingy (that holds all the plates).

If you're thinking of buying, check used first. I thought of joining the gym but for what I'd pay for fees plus gas, I can exercise whenever I want to, blast whatever music I want to, grunt however loud I want to, and don't have to wait for turns. Totally worth it, far as I'm concerned
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I have everything at home in my garage. Its all my boyfriends and he doesn't like me using it because he thinks I'm becoming the She Hulk. oh well lol

He purchased used for ~500$ off craigslist.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    my husband says if I stick with a weight lifting program for 6 months, he will invest in a rack for home.... but at this moment I still need the gym for the pool....

that said, I find that the best time to have access to the rack is an hour before the gym closes ( in my case about 9pm)... I NEVER go after work...and before breakfast, or at lunch time.... about 3pm is also a good time but just not conventient for me at the time
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Most people in public gyms aren't actually working on a plan or anything, they just looked at it and thought "hey I'll do some _______________" so if you ask how many sets they ahve left they tend to finish up and leave pretty quick-like.

It seems like almost every guy between the ages of 16 and 40 is doing either SL or SS at my gym. Its cool, but its frustrating b/c I feel like I am always perched, waiting for the rack to open up. Then after I finish, I have to wait on the same dudes for the bench, and then the same dudes for the open oly bar...its like "Hi, do you mind if I follow you around for the next hour?"

I have worked in with someone doing SS on the bench before. I was doing 65, he was doing like 250. It was a pain in the butt, but nice to have a spotter for once!

I felt bad yesteday, as hubz and I were squatting in the only power rack. I with my 120 and he with his 130. It was like powerlifter central yesterday evening and other guys were squatting 300+ in the squat rack, eyeballing the power rack the whole time. But whatever, my 120 feels like their 300+, lol.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Wish I had room to buy a power rack and all the accessories. Have the money, not the space...so I am swapping gyms come April...have found an awesome one (it is geared towards male bodybuilders, only one other woman trains there) locally and am going to pay a year up front like last time and also join their tough mudder team this year.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, stalk Craig's List...eventually you'll find everything you need and it shouldn't cost you much. If you can carve out the space, a home gym is the way to go! Sometimes there's a couple of dogs hogging the space in the power rack, but they're easily moved (they do give me some funny looks though)!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh and also - I just wait and stare at them.

Haha I did this to the little boys last week (16-20 yr olds - I'm 36). Gave them the old "mom arms crossed" stare. Took about 3 min before they realized they could do their lunges/bicep curls/ shrugs elsewhere with the long barbells or other bars. AND still stare at their manly physiques in the other mirrors :wink:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

Haha I did this to the little boys last week (16-20 yr olds - I'm 36). Gave them the old "mom arms crossed" stare. Took about 3 min before they realized they could do their lunges/bicep curls/ shrugs elsewhere with the long barbells or other bars. AND still stare at their manly physiques in the other mirrors :wink:

I did this the other day to a "trainer" that had someone doing pushups in the rack. I tried to not be b**chy when I asked how much longer they were going to be (didn't succeed), and I was definitely was mean-mugging them until they moved. :tongue:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I did this the other day to a "trainer" that had someone doing pushups in the rack. I tried to not be b**chy when I asked how much longer they were going to be (didn't succeed), and I was definitely was mean-mugging them until they moved. :tongue:

The trainer should've known better!!

If they're just futzing around, call them out on it!
    I did that to some girls (like 16 yr olds) at my gym for a piece of equipment I didn't even want but they wandered off to continue gabbing elsewhere.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I have everything at home in my garage. Its all my boyfriends and he doesn't like me using it because he thinks I'm becoming the She Hulk. oh well lol

He purchased used for ~500$ off craigslist.

kick his *kitten*...I just took a pic of my bicep and sent it to my bf cause I'm mad at him. He asked if I was threatening him....yup.

I'm lucky in that I have 24hr access to my gym. I tend to go about 8:30 - 9pm and just do what I need to do. There are almost always guys there..but I've not had to wait for the smith machine..and I'm getting comfortable enough to switch to the rack if it is.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I’ll be honest and tell y’all that gyms make me squirm. I am absolutely uncomfortable in them. My eldest son, who is a ridiculously muscular young man, went with me to the “weight room” at the Y a couple of years ago to teach me how to dead lift, and I was so self conscious about my lack of form because of all the big guys. I know, I know…being fat is probably the least of my problems, ha ha...

I have a stationary bike and an elliptical in my studio (which used to be a portrait studio until I opted to do commercial photography as opposed to portrait), and just last week put a squat rack/bench in after being given a standard barbell set.

I love the convenience, the privacy, and the ability to put whatever I want on the TV or stereo and just do what I need to do. And it doesn’t matter what I wear, because the Barbies in their color coordinated workout gear and matching shoes and perfect hair and makeup aren’t standing around looking at me sideways while I’m rocking my Converse hi-tops, oversized tee and baggy sweat pants. :laugh:

The down side? I have NO excuse to NOT work out. :wink:

Which reminds me…if I’m going to get my lift in before supper I need to get my tail in gear.

ETA: I didn’t address your cost question…I got my standard bar for free (gift) and it has 2 ten pound plates with it. I scoured Craig’s list and the closest thing to a squat rack I could find was a couple hours away in Wilmington. Checked pawn shops, want ads, etc. The hubs told me when I got home from work last week that it was time to suck it up and go to ****’s Sporting Goods (the nickname for Richard) and get me what I wanted/needed, so $280 and a few new plates later, we were on our way home. I was also gifted some more plates from one of my sons this weekend, so it’s worked out fairly well.
  • KillA_Beezy
    KillA_Beezy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am feeling super lucky right now. After a month I still have not seen ANYONE else use the squat rack while I've been there. I'm not sure of the proper term for the other racks but there is usually at least one of the two free, and the bench generally has one of the two free. I have found pretty low traffic times to visit. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a gym in my garage and LOVE it. Got my squat rack off eBay brand new for $150, my Olympic bar and plates were all used off Craigslist. Hung a door mirror so I can see my form, and bam. I have my own gym. We also have a few other things in there that hubby got off Crags list. I say the set up was about $300-$400?