Synthroid/Cytomel Combo VS. Naturethroid (desscrated pocine)

Options
I'd like to hear peoples experience of going from synthetic thyroid meds to the natural dessicrated pig hormone meds or vice versa.

I am no thyroid and have taken both with mixed results. Just wondering what others have experienced and what dosage works for others on each med.

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Dosage really depends on each person - with no thyroid it's a little easier to manage the dose, actually - but it also depends on your size, activity level etc.

While I'm usually a proponant of dessicated meds I've heard they can be difficult for someone with zero thyroid function. What were your issues that you experienced on each? Is your doctor testing your free T3 and free T4 and basing your dose on that?
  • lovekea
    Options
    I switched to Armour and I felt a difference in just 1 week - is it perfect? No - I have no thyroid so nothing is going to replace my own thyroid - but I feel much better than I did on the Synthroid/cytomel combo - I haven't asked about the testes they are taking for my levels because I feel better than I did on the Synthroid/cytomel combo.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I switched from Synthroid to Armour over a year ago (after about 6m on Synthroid) and it was like night and day. I never felt any different when I started Synthroid, even though my labs were saying I should feel fine. A few weeks on Armour and it was like the fog lifted and I could actually think straight.

I am hypothyroid, so I do still have mine, just for information sake.
  • alisa1975
    Options
    lovekea....I too have no thyroid, can I ask what dosage you were on of the synthetics and what dosage you now take of Armour? Thanks for your post!