Making bone broth again

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
Since my first attempt at making bone broth was a complete disaster I was a bit apprehensive about trying again. My dr really wants me to drink it every day so I got some bones from whole foods yesterday and tried again. This time I roasted the bones to release a lot of the fat. See, last time I skipped this step and my broth was a disgusting oily mess and I tossed the entire batch. I haven't tasted this batch yet, but so far it smells and looks a lot better. I plan on chilling it and removing excess fat before consuming. I also plan on this being a continuous broth, so after the 24 hours are up and I strain this batch I will add more water and veggies and repeat the process until the bones are gone. I got this idea from http://www.traditional-foods.com/bone-broth/. I studied that article before I started cooking. Hopefully this broth will actually taste good. Fingers crossed!

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think you'll get it this time :D
  • idauria
    Options
    I just had some and it was yummy! So from now on I will roast the bones first.
  • shelleycc
    Options
    I basically follow Nom Nom Paleo's pressure cooker bone broth recipe here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/16004110328/quick-pressure-cooker-bone-broth. I love my pressure cooker.

I roughly follow the recipe, that is. Like substituting regular onions for the leeks (which I never have on hand), and upping the ACV considerably. The butchers at my local halaal butcher shop always happily give me their beef and lamb bones for free when they have any on hand. I completely skip the roasting part (one too many steps, pans to clean, I guess, for me). It has always come out great, with minimal fat.

BTW, the Red Boat Fish Sauce that Nom Nom is nuts about is truly great stuff.

My real question is:
    How much and how often do y'all drink bone broth?

I find it very easy to make (and tasty too!), but somehow forget (???) to actually consume the stuff regularly.
  • idauria
    Options
    My dr wants me to drink a cup a day to help with my digestive issues. Supposedly the broth has gut healing properties.

I wanted to buy that fish sauce from Nom Nom Paleo but it's crazy expensive!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Glad your broth turned out yummy.

Thanks for posting about the continuous broth. I had never heard of that, very interesting.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have yet to make a bone broth, but I'm seriously considering it now. I've actually had some pretty severe digestive issues in the last couple of weeks after starting a Whole 30. It really took me by surprise, because I wasn't prepared for that kind of reaction. Did you put veggies in your broth when you made it or just bones?
  • shelleycc
    Options
    I throw in some onions and a fist-full of baby carrots when I make mine. Just for the heck of it, I suppose. I saw a paleo recipe somewhere where the author, after many trials, decided that he liked his broth better without the veggies.

My next project is a combo chicken carcass & fat broth. I've been saving scraps and backs from carved-up roasted chickens, raw skins and fat that I cut off of chicken thighs, and celery trimmings. I'm planning on throwing it all together in my trusty pressure cooker with a couple of more additives. Hopefully the end result will be some good chicken bone broth AND some (after separation) some nice wet-rendered chicken fat that I can use for cooking.
  • idauria
    Options
    I always add carrots, celery, and onion to my stock. I don't think you have to add veggies, it just adds another dimension of flavor I guess. I never had broth without it so I don't know what it tastes like.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Glad it turned out! The veggies aren't necessary as it's really the broth you're after, but they do add more flavor to the broth itself. I always use celery, carrots and onions and sometimes a few other veggies that may be laying around the fridge.