Girl trying to gain?!I want to put on muscle not fat. help!

Options
I know i need to put on weight because i'm underweight but i'm struggling. I'm not getting very far and tbh i struggle with the idea of putting on weight, stupid as it sounds but it scares me . Any Help/tips would be great!

Replies

• Wardnow
    Options
    I know how you feel, its scary because I know I could put on weight with fatty foods, but I want lean muscle weight, i'm trying this eat a comfortable amount of calories to start with like 2000 a day weigh your self on mondays if you're still the same weight bump it up 200-300cals
  • christinezittel
    christinezittel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Trying to put on weight is scary! I feel the same way. Alright - I can't give you advice on this but I sent you a friend request.
  • MontyLFP
    Options
    Make sure you do good strength training exercise in addition to simply eating more.

H353.jpg
    ladies-lift--sumo-deadlift.jpg
    Woman+Lifting.jpg

Women lack the testosterone amounts that men have so they tend to not "bulk up" quite like men do; if you are worried about looking like a professional female bodybuilder like this (heavily Photoshopped) one;

2637.jpg

You won't.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Boys like girls & women with a body, that is what I have been reminding myself. Lately I haven't been turning heads.........when I was like even 5 or 10lbs heavier I was more myself. Kinda missing running away from dirty old men. lol.
  • hypnoticdark
    Options
    It's very hard to put on weight just like it is hard to lose it. But you can do it, if I did. I was 114lbs, now I am 130lbs. You have to increase your caloric intake gradually with good fats like nuts and protein sources like lean meat. Try to eat every 3 hrs then as your body slowly gets use to it, try eating every 2 hours. Eggs will be your best friend! Protein shakes help when you are at work/school and can't eat 5-6 meals. Try not to go over a 20% fat intake and you must exercise! Cardio should be no more than 20mins, two or three times a week or you will lose the weight. Strength training is a MUST! Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • bee0786
    bee0786 Posts: 2
    Options
    its so good to see other girls doing this! i dont know anyone else trying to gain weight, i actually found this site from someone who is trying to lose weight. my toughest problem is that i work all day and sometimes i just dont have an appetite. now im trying to focus on what i eat and what i should be eating more of. its tough but im going to stick to it!
  • sum1s
    sum1s Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad there are girls out there who feel this way too. I'm needing to gain weight as well, but I'm scared of putting on fat instead of muscle. I'm just under 5'4" and 90.8 pounds as of this morning. Half of my life I've been a bit on the heavier side and I'm afraid of that happening again while trying to put on more weight. I've done lots of research trying to figure out the best way to go about this, but I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I know I need to gain weight as I personally think I look too skinny, not just based on the comments my family have been giving me about how I'm going to end up in the hospital if I don't do something soon. I have a lot of health problems which got me in the mess in the first place, so I have to be very careful with what types of things I eat besides the fact that I need to find a way to put on pounds, preferably muscle. Any help or advice anyone can give me? I've tried talking to the doctor about this, but he doesn't seem to find my weight a concern. I can easily see my spine if the shirt is a silky material and I don't wear wide collared necklines because my collar bone protrudes so much. How is this not a concern? He put me on a "healthy allergen-free" medical food after much coaxing (it came close to demanding something be done for this to happen, seriously) which he told me to take without any further dietary instructions. Someone PLEASE HELP!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It's 80% diet, 20% gym

For clean gains you must eat clean foods at a surplus of calories. Usually +300~500 calorie surplus a day. You must also limit cardio as the loss calories will hinder muscle growth.

Clean foods:
    - Plain Steal Cut / Rolled Oatmeal (not the sugary apple maple brown sugary stuff) ... Plain. Add whey protein for flavoring!
    - Sweet potatos
    - brown rice
    - quinoa
    - berries
    - high fibrous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach)
    - healthy fats: evoo, coconut oil, fish oil, flaxseed oil
    - cottage cheese
    - Almonds, walnuts, pecans
    - Lean chicken/beef, tuna, salmon
    - Eggs/egg whites

No breads what so ever! And plenty of water!