Very first 5 min skate

Options
I did my very first 5 min skate last night. For skill level 1 we have to do 20 laps in 5 minutes I missed by just a few laps I got 17 laps. I am hoping to make or break the 20 next Monday night.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hate the 5 minutes. Our league requires 25 in 5. And my best is 19. ugh. I went to our open skate last night, and really tried to work on continuous crossovers around the optimal path. It's tough. My legs start getting shaky and I trip over my own feet.
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    We have three skill levels for freshmeat the first is 20 in 5, the second is 25 in 5, and the third is 27 in 5. I have a long way to go but I am working very hard to get there. There are times that I really hate being short and this is one of them. I think it would help so much have long legs there are people that one of their strides is equal to like three of mine.
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We have three skill levels for freshmeat the first is 20 in 5, the second is 25 in 5, and the third is 27 in 5. I have a long way to go but I am working very hard to get there. There are times that I really hate being short and this is one of them. I think it would help so much have long legs there are people that one of their strides is equal to like three of mine.

the 25 in 5 absolutely sucks, but whatever you do - DO NOT HATE BEING SHORT when it comes to derby!!!! I'm just a smidge over 5ft and crossovers really used to suck! My best advice to you is to get lower. I know you've probably heard those words more often than anything else so far at training, but it's just as true when it comes to doing crossovers with short legs. What the taller girls have in stride, you can make up for with power and technique!

Bend at the knee and at the hip (so your butt is low and really sticking out at the back), try and keep your core tight and your upper body in a straight(ish) line from your pelvis up. Try and cross your outside leg over all the way from your hip down - so as much of your outside upper thigh as possible is over the top of and in front of your upper inside thigh, and at the same time extend your inside leg so that you're pushing your inside foot/ leg towards the outside of the track. I hope that makes sense, it's the first time I've ever tried to put that into words lol.

Derby is hard work! Once you more familiar with the techniques, being short can actually be a huge advantage in derby - so embrace your inner 'pocket rocket' and good luck!!

:)
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I didn't break the 20 laps this week I only beat last week by half a lap. I got 17.5 in 5 minutes this week so my goal for next week again is to meet or break 20 in 5.
  • cstalwick
    cstalwick Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We also have to do 25-5, and now do it at the start of each practice!
    Are you skating the Diamond? I know its very helpful,
    Cross over's are important and keep your feet moving!! :)

It took me like 4-5 tries but when you get it its AWESOME! ::)

keep up the hard work!!
  • MeanieD
    Options
    Agreed! Short people are the bane of my derby existence -- love your little body!

I used to count to myself when doing my laps. Long strides (3) in the straight-away and cross-overs (4) on the corners in the diamond formation. Once you figure out your rhythm, it's just a matter of endurance.

If you have access to a pool, it's amazing for your endurance and breath work as a cross training method. My laps went from barely making 12 in 2 minutes to 13/12.5/12.5 after only a couple months of swimming. <--Oh, our league does 10 laps in 2 minutes, 3x in a row with only a 30 second break for the recreational league, 11 for state play, and 12 for national play.
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I got 19 this week. I'm hoping to be able to go up another couple of laps next week. I have been trying to get to as many open skates as possible but there are so many people there it is really hard to try and get any practice in. Especially with the little kids that aren't paying any attention where they are going and roll right in front of you. At least it gives me chance to practice my hockey cuts to keep from hitting them.
  • violet_sphinx
    violet_sphinx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nice work, folks who are noticing an improvement! After a year of skating I finally got my 25 laps down under the 5 minute mark - you just have to keep at it, some of us longer than others! What helped me was focusing more on my technique than my speed. If you get your crossovers nice and strong and STEADY you don't have to skate full out to get your 25 done!
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I went down this week. I fell just shy of 18 laps. I just got my new skates which I think had a lot to do with it, I am trying to break the wheels in right now they are really slick and sliding all over the place. Plus we focused on lunges in our workout on Sunday since I and one other girl have been struggling with our recovery from falls so my legs were killing me. Her and I both went down in our laps this week. Hopefully, I won't be quite as sore next Monday and I will be able to go back up again.
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get it!
    Sometimes after crazy leg work I find my general endurance is down. Part of that is because of muscle fatigue. Listen to your body during these workouts... also, Bananas. Potassium is your friend for recovery!

Remember to skate the diamond (edging the inside track boundary/apex on the turns and going out to brush the outside track boundary in the middle of the straightway) for optimal track coverage with the least amount of energy expended. Next week over 20! (I'll be cheering from here!)
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Oh gosh the 25/5 is like raaaaaaaaaaahhh
    But honestly do not hate being short. There is no reason why you can't be as fast as taller girls with the same amount of strides. It's all about how long you have contact with the floor. Getting lower means you can push your foot out across the floor for longer. Do it standing straight up without skates on. Slide your foot across the floor and see how quickly it comes off. Then squat low and see how long it stays on for.

I've also learned this little hop to catch speed really quickly. Lift your right leg and as you go to place that foot down angle the toe out. As the right foot comes down, hop your left foot up and push hard with the right foot as it contacts. It's all done very quickly and looks like a hop but man you can get some insane speed without trying.
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice everyone! I am still struggling with my laps but I am getting a little better. I made it to 19.5 laps this week. I was actually surprised that I made it that far because we did a sevens drill the day before and I was so sore from that I didn't think I would be able to move my legs. I really want to be able to move on to the next skill level but I still have to make it to 20 laps on the five minute skate and I have to get my right knee tap. I am finally getting my left knee tap now but I am I am still struggling with the right.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I started C25K for this move specifically. I don't have the endurance/stamina to keep skating as fast as I need to for 5 minutes. Right now, I'm struggling with week 4. Here's hoping it helps my 25 in 5. Another skater in our league started C25K much earlier this year and has already passed her 25 in 5. I figured if it can help her, it can help me.
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I finally got my 20 laps last night, the next goal for me is the 25 in 5:00.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Just keep those feet moving. :)

How's the knee tap coming?
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I am able to do the left knee tap really well now, but the right knee tap is still a problem for me. I did one really good right knee tap last night but for some reason one seems to be all I can get. I am still working on it and I start Derby Fitness this Thursday so I will have an extra night of skating every week so hopefully that will help me get better for practice.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I finally got my 20 laps last night, the next goal for me is the 25 in 5:00.
    Most excellent. I can't seem to break the 20 lap mark. Well done!
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Now that you've gotten the one good one, you know you have the ability. It may just be a fatigued muscle issue. My coordination goes to crap pretty fast if I'm tired. lol

Pretty much everything about derby is just doing things over and over and over again until it becomes instinct/reflective.
  • Qarol
    Options
    EXACTLY. I don't practice until I get it right. I practice until I can't get it wrong.
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I went to open skate Tuesday night and wasn't wearing my knee pads and fell and tore up my left knee so I know I am going to be favoring my right knee on the falls now so hopefully that will help to build up the strength in that knee so I can finally get the right knee taps down so I can pass my assessment.