The Cleanse

Options
kayceeme
kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
Any "Planners" out there doing the 3-day cleanse? Please share your experiences or questions here!

Replies

• GmaQueenBee
    GmaQueenBee Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start next Saturday. I have a sluggish thyroid so I'm going to start the kelp and liquid B-12 tomorrow. I've already started taking the probiotics, MSM, and liver detox.
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi Jocymc,

I also had to wait a week to start, because of yeast.

Today is my first day of the cleanse. I went shopping yesterday for all of the foods and was able to find them fairly easily. I went to a local market and Trader Joe's. My refrigerator is overflowing with kale, broccoli, carrots and lemons!

Had the flax granola with coconut milk this morning along with lemon water and dandelion tea. Missing my coffee but I think it might be good for me to take a break from it for a few days. Glad it is a Sunday and can take it easy.
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi group,

I did my first day of the 3-day cleanse yesterday and thought I provide an update. I had a pretty tough time with it, starting with headaches and feeling light headed. By 3pm I could not eat or keep even water down.

Really awful and not sure what caused this reaction. Anybody else experience anything like this?
  • scubagal71
    scubagal71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    day two was the worst for me, I was ok by day one- but green tea and peppermint tea helped with headaches. By day 3 I felt awesome!

I am on day 13 menu (day 20 or so in) and have only failed Bread and Potato- I passed potato chips but failed last night eating 1/2 a baked potato.
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi scubagal,

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass the bread and potato tests. I wonder why chips are ok but a baked potato isn't. So opposite of what I'd think--fried vs. baked.

I am doing much better today on Day 3. Feeling good, headaches gone and I have more energy. Enjoying the Spicy Vegetable Soup for lunch but wish I was better at seasoning--missing the salt or chicken stock that I'd usually have in a soup like this. But it's edible and filling. If anything, there is too much food for me on The Plan.

Chicken tonight!
  • GmaQueenBee
    Options
    I'm starting my cleanse in the morning.

I made the flax granola a few days ago. I tried a dry spoonful on my daughter and she crunched down one time and spat it out. Said it didn't have enough flavor to it. I didn't think it was that bad, just dry. Hopefully it'll be better with the coconut milk and blueberries.

I had trouble making the Orange Oil for the broccoli. I don't have a zester so I used a potato peeler to get the peel off and after putting it in the olive oil got my hand blender out and blended it together. There was still more of an olive oil taste but after putting it on the steamed broccoli it evened out. I didn't add the lemon juice to it. I used lemon juice in my mixed greens vinaigrette and thought that was enough.

When I made the Carrot Ginger soup I used fresh ginger for the 1st time. I think I added too much. I had DD try the soup and she added a ton of cinnamon to it. Now it tastes great!

It would help if the recipes gave an idea of how much spices to use. "To taste" doesn't help when you've never used a spice before.
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi Jocymc,

Good luck with your cleanse! Let us know how you are doing.

It took me a few days to warm up to the taste of the flax granola, but I think some of that might have been due to the detox effects. I seem to like it better now, but I'll be glad when I can have a bit more variety in a few days. I think there must be a lot of Planners in my community because two grocery stores I visited were sold out of Barbara Puffins rice cereal. I read that "The Plan" is #1 on Amazon, so apparently it's gaining in popularity.

I think I've put my zester and peeler to more use in the past week than I have in the past year. Orange zest comes up again in the chicken in Day 3. With the orange oil, I found that it tasted more orangey and less oily after it sat for a couple of days in my refrigerator.

I agree that it would be helpful if they gave you a rough idea of how much seasoning to add. Kind of a shot in the dark with some of the recipes.
  • GmaQueenBee
    Options
    I finished The Cleanse with minimal damage and 2.6 pounds down. I thought I was a coffee addict so the 1st morning I had 1/2 a cup of coffee with half & half and then switched to tea. The next morning I just had English Breakfast tea, and didn't miss the coffee. My daughter had to remind me that I could have coffee this morning but I already had my tea made! Maybe tomorrow. This mornings weight was a real shocker with a .7 weight loss. I hope to see the same tomorrow but have my doubts. I generally work day shift but as a special treat for President's Day I had to work swing shift. I made my Day 4 dinner & snack and packed enough water to get me through to 7:30 (the water at work tastes horrible). I don't get a dinner break, I just have to eat when there's down time. I was in the middle of dinner and an emergency came up (I work at a prison as a correctional officer)! I never did get back to finish so I'm missing some of those "essential nutrients" and my water consumption is off by about 20 ounces. I'm glad I can have a glass of wine tonight.

I discovered the Blueberry Pear Compote in Lyn's Winter Cookbook. It's wonderful, and she suggests it as an alternative to the flax granola. I didn't have any chia seeds so used sunflower seeds. They give it a nice crunch but next time I'm going to use ground flax seed. That should help it firm up better.
  • caroline212
    Options
    Lyn-Genet advises against using ground flax due to high estrogenic properties and recommends sticking to whole flax. I sympathize with the challenge of schedule; getting time to sit, eat and chew can be a job in itself!
  • scubagal71
    Options
    without Chia, you won't get the firm texture, they get like "gel"- no other seed will really have the same results.

I am 4wks in and down 17lbs- I only failed Potato and Bread and now am testing my own menus- I haven't tested any of my "staples" yet, as I assume they will be reactive (Beans, Tomato, Quinoa, Dairy)- so I will start with those soon...
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Scubagal,

That 17 lbs is impressive! I am about two weeks in (Day 9). Lost about 5 lbs the first week but seem to be plateauing this week. So far, have reacted to goat cheese only, but haven't tested too much yet.
  • scubagal71
    Options
    tested lamb last night, down .8

:)
  • Jesseloumil
    Jesseloumil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tonight I prepared all of the cook-able meals for the next 2+ days and I will be starting the cleanse tomorrow, eeek, I am kind of nervous that I will end up quitting too soon! Wish me luck!