2013 Indiana Runs

Options

Replies

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the Dino series 15k trail run at Eagle Creek. March 9. Nothing like tripping over roots, poison ivy and getting a face full or spider webs.

http://www.dinoseries.com/indiana-run-race1.html
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the Dino series 15k trail run at Eagle Creek. March 9. Nothing like tripping over roots, poison ivy and getting a face full or spider webs.

Looks like fun but I won't be back in running shape by then (repeating C2K5), thought about doing the 5K run/walk...

Let me know how it goes! I assume they start in waves since trails are a bit narrow.
  • cyndidevers
    cyndidevers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link; very helpful.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

I'll almost certainly be at Eagle Creek, but haven't decided whether I'll do the 5K or 15K.
    Let me know how it goes! I assume they start in waves since trails are a bit narrow.
    No, they don't start in waves. There generally aren't all that many people doing it, and the early part of the course is wide enough for passing. There is some backing up at a couple of obstacles early on after the trail narrows (a couple of logs that have to be climbed over), but people spread out after that.
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great link thanks! I am starting couch to 5k in a couple weeks so maybe I will do a run once I get my "running legs."
  • Katie9191
    Options
    I love c25k!!! It's nice that it totally does it all for you and you just have to do what it says! :)
    [/quote]

I just downloaded the C25K app for my phone and would like to start the program. Is it good for people with a significant amount to lose? Obviously I'm quite a ways away from being a "runner". :)

That top line was supposed to be a quote from someone else's post, don't think I did it right. This is my first time posting in the message boards.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie! I did a run/walk program when I started out (not C25K, but similar). It should be okay for just about any weight, if you take it slow and repeat days or weeks if you need to. Listen to your body--it's okay to walk or run through discomfort, but if it progresses to actual pain, stop!

And when I say go slow, GO SLOW. A common mistake for people starting out a run/walk program is they think they have to go all out for the running segments. You don't. You should jog very easily--your goal as a beginner is to build endurance, not speed. Speed will come later, naturally, as you continue to build distance. And when you're strong enough, you can begin pushing yourself a little, incorporating little bursts of speed to get yourself used to faster running. Like, "I'm going to speed up from here to that mailbox, then slow back down to recover." If you haven't heard the term before, these little bursts of speed go by the rather amusing name of "fartleks."

Best of luck with C25K! You won't believe how great you'll feel when you complete that first 5K.

EDIT: Oh, and get thee to the nearest Blue Mile and get fitted for a good pair of shoes (or other running store, but Blue Mile will put you on a treadmill and observe your gait). That and a good sports bra are the two essential pieces of equipment you need.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the C25K app for my phone and would like to start the program. Is it good for people with a significant amount to lose? Obviously I'm quite a ways away from being a "runner". :)

I agree with everything majope told you... I'd just like to specifically address this from my experience... My answer is yes, yes, yes!!! not only is it good, it's great... I had a good 90-100 pounds to lose last spring when I started the program, and couldn't run for over a few seconds at a time... after that 14 weeks or so (some repeats in there), I could run for thirty straight minutes), and before long I was running 4-5 miles (while still a good 50-60 pounds overweight). I ran two 5k's last fall, and plan to do more this year (as well as some 5miler's and 10k's). I can't recommend it enough. I used the rundouble c25k app on my android phone, but I know there are many other apps out there for it also.
  • Samanthahahaha
    Options
    I am doing the "Color Me Rad" 5k on Sept 14th at the state fairgrounds. I didn't see it on the calendar. I'm using my C25k app and my goal is to jog the entire time without walking intervals.
    Thanks for sharing the calendar link~!

I am signed to do this one, too! My profile pic is from doing it last year. LOVED doing this 5k!

I did Color Me Rad last year as well! I won't be able to do it this year, because well, I am getting married that day :laugh: Might do The Color Run instead which is on 7/20!
  • tjking82
    Options
    I took the dive and signed up for the May 11th 5k in Marion as its not too far away, I've taken off 70 pounds of weight so far just eating better and using my stationary bike and had committed to running a 5k in July but I wanted to start training for that extra early, i have one of the 5k apps on my phone and tho I am still a big guy i'm going to train hard for this and run my first ever 5k. I'm stoked and driven and I think this will be a great experience for me and help me to keep pushing myself harder.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    I took the dive and signed up for the May 11th 5k in Marion as its not too far away, I've taken off 70 pounds of weight so far just eating better and using my stationary bike and had committed to running a 5k in July but I wanted to start training for that extra early, i have one of the 5k apps on my phone and tho I am still a big guy i'm going to train hard for this and run my first ever 5k. I'm stoked and driven and I think this will be a great experience for me and help me to keep pushing myself harder.

You can do it! Just wait until you finish your first twenty minute run in c25k (week 5 I think maybe?), there is a huge sense of accomplishment! Then another after the first actual 5k! Congrats on your weight loss so far, and good luck with your continuation!
  • tjking82
    Options
    Thanks, I told myself on August 1 of 2012 that I would lose 100 pounds by that date 1 year later, I have 30 pounds to go and a little more than 5 months to do it, but I was starting to slow down and I have always wanted to run, and after losing 70 pounds I finally stopped making excuses for myself and bought some nice running shoes, and plan to go out in the cold tomorrow for day 1. I'll likely repeat the first one or two a couple days just so I can start my week right but with 88 days till my first 5k I feel confident that I can do it, and as long as I keep telling myself that every time I get tired and wanna stop I know I will make it. Hopefully after I get that first one accomplished I can do many many more.

You can do it! Just wait until you finish your first twenty minute run in c25k (week 5 I think maybe?), there is a huge sense of accomplishment! Then another after the first actual 5k! Congrats on your weight loss so far, and good luck with your continuation!
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I took a leap and signed up for the mini this year. A friend asked if I wanted to do it with her... I just started running a year ago, however she is not a runner so we will more than likely do a combo run/walk :) I am excited. I've never ran before in my life so when I started it was a huge accomplishment woot woot :heart:
  • armywoman71
    armywoman71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    great link, hopefully I can get in some good runs before the Mini
    Are you doing the training series for the Mini? Starts a week from tomorrow.

2013 Training Series Dates
    5K - Saturday, February 9, 2013
    10K - Saturday, March 9, 2013
    15K - Saturday, April 6, 2013

I did the 5K and am registered for the other 2 training races. This will be my 3rd Mini and 4th half marathon. I did the Lawrence half in '07 and it was nice. I might sign up for that one again to keep me training. I do better if I have a goal...
  • Katie9191
    Options
    Hi Katie! I did a run/walk program when I started out (not C25K, but similar). It should be okay for just about any weight, if you take it slow and repeat days or weeks if you need to. Listen to your body--it's okay to walk or run through discomfort, but if it progresses to actual pain, stop!

And when I say go slow, GO SLOW. A common mistake for people starting out a run/walk program is they think they have to go all out for the running segments. You don't. You should jog very easily--your goal as a beginner is to build endurance, not speed. Speed will come later, naturally, as you continue to build distance. And when you're strong enough, you can begin pushing yourself a little, incorporating little bursts of speed to get yourself used to faster running. Like, "I'm going to speed up from here to that mailbox, then slow back down to recover." If you haven't heard the term before, these little bursts of speed go by the rather amusing name of "fartleks."

Best of luck with C25K! You won't believe how great you'll feel when you complete that first 5K.

EDIT: Oh, and get thee to the nearest Blue Mile and get fitted for a good pair of shoes (or other running store, but Blue Mile will put you on a treadmill and observe your gait). That and a good sports bra are the two essential pieces of equipment you need.

Thanks so much your reply! I greatly appreciate your tips, advice, and encouragement! :)
  • Katie9191
    Options

I agree with everything majope told you... I'd just like to specifically address this from my experience... My answer is yes, yes, yes!!! not only is it good, it's great... I had a good 90-100 pounds to lose last spring when I started the program, and couldn't run for over a few seconds at a time... after that 14 weeks or so (some repeats in there), I could run for thirty straight minutes), and before long I was running 4-5 miles (while still a good 50-60 pounds overweight). I ran two 5k's last fall, and plan to do more this year (as well as some 5miler's and 10k's). I can't recommend it enough. I used the rundouble c25k app on my android phone, but I know there are many other apps out there for it also.

Thanks so much!! I appreciate you sharing your personal experience with me. :)
  • racegirlkn
    racegirlkn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 5K Color Rush at Purdue on March 23, The Frankfort Jaycees Spaghetti Run 10 K on April 13th, and then the 500 mini in May. This will be my 6th mini-marathon. I plan on doing 2 other mini-marathons this year, and then finally taking on my goal of running a full marathon in January 2014, at Disney World!!! I am excited and nervous!! I would love to chat with others that love running!!!
  • jengrieselmorris
    Options
    Excellent resource for upcoming races around the state and country. I have committed to the Strip and Run for the Salvation Army and the Shamrock Run in Indianapolis.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Excellent resource for upcoming races around the state and country. I have committed to the Strip and Run for the Salvation Army and the Shamrock Run in Indianapolis.

I hadn't noticed the "Strip n Run" race... nice.... hehe

If you're interested in other charity/running events, you might check out the "Back On My Feet" pinned thread (the first thread in the forum right now)
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    here's mine so far for the year:
    April 20 - Carmel 1/2 marathon (they have a series of races up to marathon that day)
    May 4- Mini Marathon
    June 29 - Mudathlon - with my daughter
    November - Monumental Marathon

might be doing some other shorter races over the summer - my daughter, who's in college, is getting into running and is wanting to do some more races when she's home too. Cutting back on the number of 1/2 marathons this year to be able to work more seriously on the full distance.

On the cheap end - over the summer, Blue Mile also offers "Brew Miles" - various locations on a week night that are only $5 and includes a drink at the end (beer or soda). They post it on their facebook page, and will have notices up in the stores too!