Types of Yoga

Options
deeschange
deeschange Posts: 186 Member
What types of yoga are you doing?

Is there a specific meditation tape, music, etc that you use also. So far my meditation has just been to work on breathing and silencing the mind.....I need to learn more, practice more so that this because a very productive part of my wellness routine.

Replies

• maree142
    maree142 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do Iyengar Yoga and have done for the last 7years. I try and do it x2 per week, with my regular teacher, Linda. At first I thought she was a bit harsh and, to be honest, I also kinda liked that too, because whenever I had another teacher she didn't push me as much as Linda. I used to do Yoga not because I loved it, but because I knew of the benefits of Yoga -- my Mum had terrible arthritis, as did her father, and I was always worried I would get bad arthritis also.

now -- after all these years I can honestly say that 'on the mat' I kind of find a part of myself.

I still find it hard to empty my mind of the day's worries, but there I am, trying to focus on my breathe and the pose, glad I made the time for yoga.

I don't do much meditation, but I must admit I have really enjoyed the mindfulness podcasts that I've used.

Now what about others?

maree
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group - a little late for February. I need to do more meditation, but I'm really into yoga asana.

I do Iyengar yoga. My teacher isn't harsh at all, but I've met some that are.

I occasionally do a pranayama practice to an audio of John Schumacher, which is a lot like meditation, but I don't usually follow a tape.
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    What I did today. It's been far too long. LOVE Kripalu yoga!

• lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What I did today. It's been far too long. LOVE Kripalu yoga!

Thanks for the link! I'll try it out.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I love vinyasa style yoga. I do hot vinyasa primarily but am getting more into Ashtanga. I've done Bikram on ocassion but more just to get a good workout in.
  • rickbeal218
    rickbeal218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did yoga yoga with Swami Premanada at Shiva Ashram, till he moved away a few years ago. Today I continue the practice as he gave it to me, at Jambavanata Nagari Ashram. The biggest difference is see from other yoga, is we have very few standing poses. So I’d like to learn more of those, and how to do them properly.
  • rickbeal218
    rickbeal218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/T7WnfFDnmmk

Though we don’t have any video of our own; I was once told by a visiting yogi to check out integral yoga, because what we do at Jamvanta Nagari Ashram is quite close.

I did find a lot on the web about integral yoga. And though there are some minor differences, I agree with the visiting yogi.

The attached YouTube video shows the beginning set for integral yoga. I highly recommend it.
  • tracibeth1
    tracibeth1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have utilized Yoga with Adriene on YouTube for several years. She has great routines, some are very quick and others will take over 40 minutes. She also frequently posts 30 day programs where you can see tremendous progress in your practice. Also, it's free! @yogawithadriene.