Anyone done it through pregnancy?

Options
livlovra
livlovra Posts: 139 Member
Just found out I am pregnant and am 2 months into being about 90-95% paleo. My aim is to remain paleo through pregnancy but was just wondering if anyone out there has been through this already. Would love some support and prob a little anxious I am doing the right thing. I know I am but it does go a little against conventional wisdom and bucking the trend is always a little hard and nerve wracking at times.

Replies

• Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/10/05/pregnancy-and-clean-eating/

I haven't personally, but I remembered reading this a while back, and I went hunting for it for you. I would say stick with what you're doing if you feel well and it's working for you, and if you have to relax the rules to combat morning sickness, then so be it. And obviously talk to your doctor about it.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    How is eating healthy bucking the trend? :wink: I can't advise you on eating paleo during pregnancy, but I can only imagine it would be better for the baby than a crap diet (assuming you are also taking vitamins). My best advise would be to talk to a nutritionist - specifically one who isn't anti-primal/paleo. You may need to flex a bit into some other type of paleo (e.g., one not so stringent) in order to get all the necessary nutrients (but I'm not a nutritionist, so I can't tell you much).

I only wish I had known about Paleo/Primal when I was pregnant (9 year and 9 months ago). I probably wouldn't still be fighting the baby weight!

Congrats!
  • JasonKoverman
    JasonKoverman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My wife just gave birth to our first born and was eating primal the entire time (occasional non primal treats but not too much). She was able to keep working out up until about the 38 week mark. She usually never got cravings for bad stuff. She did eat a lot of fruit. Long story short, she believes that eating primal totally helped her through pregnancy and labor and she wouldn't have done it any other way. Good luck with your pregnancy.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. And great link lyndseed! Trying hard to keep anything down, god I hate the early stages. But I'm determined not to gain the huge amount of weight I did with babies 1 and 2
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it! I think it is great if you can do it.
    I ate primal for 5 months when I got pregnant. I wanted to keep going with it through the pregnancy , but I couldn't .
    During the first few months, I could not stand meat or fish and barely could tolarate eggs. The only thing that didn't come back or caused extreme nausea was carbs.
    It got a bit better by the second trimester and I was able to keep down some meat, but still ate mostly carbs.
    I tried to avoid candy and sugar, but i ate bread like no tomorrow. It was totally strange, because I never liked bread before. Also it was totally different from my first pregnancy when I became a spicy hot Indian food addict.
    No wonder I gained 60 lb during this pregnancy :(

Oh well, the baby is out, and I am back to primal, and I am sure I 'll able to lose the baby weight again.

Anyway, if you can manage , go for it! If doesn't work out that way, that 's ok too.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Going aways back, Angelo Coppola, the host of Latest in Paleo, kept his listeners up-to-date with his wife's pregnancy. He did a very good job relating all the concerns, problems, and triumphs along the way. I've not yet spoken with him, but he's always struck me as a nice fellow, and may give some pointers or something if you drop him an e-mail.
  • JenniferD83
    JenniferD83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is what has caused me to give Paleo/Primal a go
    I have had 2 babies who were 10lb 11oz and 11lb...I didn't have GD but Im' sure my carb-filled diet contributed to them being so large.
    Only been eating this way for a week but loving it!
    Prob eating between 80-130gr carbs a day. Finding I have more energy this time round and I'm sure its because of the food.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is what has caused me to give Paleo/Primal a go
    I have had 2 babies who were 10lb 11oz and 11lb...I didn't have GD but Im' sure my carb-filled diet contributed to them being so large.
    Unless you have diabetes, carb eating won't make you have big babies. I think genetic plays a much larger role in what size the babies will be at birth. My carb crazy pregnancy with extreme weight gain lead to below average size babies both times. My first baby was 7 lb 4 oz , despite the fact I ate like a madman and gained almost 75 lb during pregnancy.
    Second baby was 1 oz short of 7 lb , and again extreme carb addict pregnancy and i gained 60 lb .
    Both times I took prescription grade prenatal vitamins starting months prior pregnancy, and both baby extremely healthy.
    I am 5'8" and my hubby is over 6'2" , so we are not small people. Still at birth my babies were slightly below average weight, which i am thankful as it lead to easy and fast birth. Both babies became large 75 percentile or bigger by the time they were 2 months old, so they are not genetically small kids.

I was actually a bit worried how going back to primal would effect my milk supply, but my baby gaining weight with astonishing speed. This was the case with my baby #1 too, and I ate regular high carb diet back than.

Honestly , I do not think babies affected that much by the mom diet unless there is malnutrition or problems like pregnancy diabetes. The baby takes away what she/ he needs and mom body has to deal with the rest.
  • JenniferD83
    JenniferD83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, when I say "I didn't have GD" I mean my tests were negative at 28wks, but that still leaves 12wks for blood sugar issues to develop yeah?. I am meduim height/build, and so is husband, its really not genetic, and the 2nd baby in particular had a very diabetic look to her. I refuse to believe I naturally grow 11lb babies!

I've spoken to several health professionals about it and they have all said that eating a diet as if I have diabetes, or at least a low carb/paleo type diet then it can't hurt and it *may* produce a smaller baby.
  • lilbrowngirl
    lilbrowngirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You should check out this blog - http://www.growinguppaleo.com/

She writes about both her pregnancies and was paleo during that time. Congrats and good luck!
  • Aloemilk
    Aloemilk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert (so maybe you should do your own research and ask your doctor for the final say in this) but I've read that a little bit of ginger during the 1st trimester might help you feel better.

Also, aside from several blogs about primal pregnancy (a simple google search should help you with that), this is my favourite post about being primal while growing a baby :p

http://hawaiianlibertarian.blogspot.com/2011/05/paleo-baby.html

Hope it helps :)
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My son is now 22 and without realizing it I ate very primal during his pregnancy....I remember cooking hamburgers and steaks bloody rare, eating sashimi (reputable source), rice and potatoes (sweet and yams), olive oils, etc. anything grain-ish like pancakes, breads and the like would upset my stomach.

That was 1990 and I didn't know a damn thing except what felt "good". Even the pre-natals made me ill, so I never took them!

I only gained 30 pounds total with him and he weighed 8 pounds 2 oz at birth, I lost the rest within 2 weeks.

So, how did my son turn out? Top student all through K-12 and finished college in 4 years, now on career path and making some big corporate bucks....I could tell you what his IQ is but that is just too much bragging. :bigsmile:

Funny thing....he is allergic to dairy.......

OH & CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump