Cheat Days?

Options
samkelly89
samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
I have been eating strict paleo for 4.5 days now. My origional goal was to just try it out for a week. But I am finding myself LOVING this new eating style. I want to keep it up for the long run but I am nervous because I can't imagine myself giving up some of my favorite foods forever and I feel like I will fail if I don't allow myself an occasional "cheat day". I am thinking it could be once a week, even just one meal a week. That would keep me satisfied. (chipotle buritos is mostly what I am thinking of right now. So I can't really find a substitute in the paleo plan)

My question for you all is, Will one cheat meal a week totally derail the progress I've seen in my body? In just 4 days I have lost 6 pounds when I had been stuck for so long. I feel great but I also feel torn =(

Replies

• Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't really see this as diet with "cheat" days or meals, but rather a lifestyle change. That said, what I noticed when I would have something like bread or a sugary food, it made me feel so bad (stomach ache, nausea, GI issues, etc.) that I found I didn't want those foods anymore. While they may have tasted great at the time, the side-effects didn't make it worth it in the long run. That's not to say I haven't had grains or other things not really part of the "plan," and never will again but boy do I feel it afterward.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think one "cheat" meal or day would completely derail you, unless you are one of those folks that are truly addicted to sugars and just one bite is a slippery slope. It's more likely you'll find that as time passes, your taste buds will change and those types of food will no longer hold sway as they'll just taste excessively sweet and artificial.
  • samkelly89
    Options
    I don't really see this as diet with "cheat" days or meals, but rather a lifestyle change. That said, what I noticed when I would have something like bread or a sugary food, it made me feel so bad (stomach ache, nausea, GI issues, etc.) that I found I didn't want those foods anymore. While they may have tasted great at the time, the side-effects didn't make it worth it in the long run. That's not to say I haven't had grains or other things not really part of the "plan," and never will again but boy do I feel it afterward.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think one "cheat" meal or day would completely derail you, unless you are one of those folks that are truly addicted to sugars and just one bite is a slippery slope. It's more likely you'll find that as time passes, your taste buds will change and those types of food will no longer hold sway as they'll just taste excessively sweet and artificial.

Thank you for the advice! I think that you are right and after time I will probably not crave those foods anymore because of my lifestyle. I think just knowing that it is an option once a week will help me think of Paleo as a perminant lifestyle change, even if I don't take myself up on those once a week options.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Personally I haven't had a difficult time giving up the non-primal foods, and when I have had them ... like last sunday, when I was on a trip....the side effects sucked. I had food cravings even though I just ate, broke out with acne, skin wasnt soft (I kind of liked that change and missed it).
    Lots of people follow the 80/20 rule, where you eat primal/paleo 80% of the time. Some days I gravitate towards that because I still eat bakery muffins a couple times a week. And there's nothing wrong with that...but in general, it's not worth the side effects once you get used to eating primal/paleo .
    As for chipotle, what about a burrito bowl sans beans and rice? Can still have full fat, veggies and meat, and will still be delicous.
  • samkelly89
    Options
    Personally I haven't had a difficult time giving up the non-primal foods, and when I have had them ... like last sunday, when I was on a trip....the side effects sucked. I had food cravings even though I just ate, broke out with acne, skin wasnt soft (I kind of liked that change and missed it).
    Lots of people follow the 80/20 rule, where you eat primal/paleo 80% of the time. Some days I gravitate towards that because I still eat bakery muffins a couple times a week. And there's nothing wrong with that...but in general, it's not worth the side effects once you get used to eating primal/paleo .
    As for chipotle, what about a burrito bowl sans beans and rice? Can still have full fat, veggies and meat, and will still be delicous.

You are right there, I have thought about getting Chipotle without getting my usual burito with rice and beans etc. I will have to play with it a bit.. I really do love eating paleo 100% of the time. It is almost silly that chipotle is the one food I can't imagine my life without lol I guess I will have to see what kind of effect my body has to it if I try a burito.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's not silly at all. I remember when I first considered eating paleo, I kept thinking about how I'd never get to eat bagels or pizza again. Or oatmeal. After a while as your body gets used to being fueled with foods that are satisfying and nourishing, you really will find that you won't miss the other foods. But I say give yourself at least a month of truly eating paleo before trying regularly scheduled cheat" meals. If you start at 80/20, you never will fully see the effects of eating paleo or primal. I recommend trying a Whole 30 challenge (read It Starts With Food).

As time passes and you see the incredible transformation in your mood, body composition, sleep, skin, and appetite, and you learn how to cook the most delicious meals from whole foods, you might find yourself not missing Chipotle as much. Or maybe you still will, and in that case, you go out and get yourself that burrito and you have the time of your life! And guess what? That burrito becomes not a "Cheat" (I don't like the negative connotation) but a wonderful special treat that you only get to have once in a while. I know that I didn't eat even 80/20 primal during the holidays, but that's because I enjoy my family's traditional cooking because it's special to me.

You'll figure out what works for you, that's what it's all about. No one size fits all. Welcome to the paleo/primal lifestyle!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You may find after awhile, you won't want that stuff anymore. I've had 2 instances where I was tempted by something sweet. I went ahead and ate them - well, a better term would be I took a bite and found that it tasted horrid! WAY too sweet and "off" tasting. I tossed the rest. I was worried that I'd be endlessly tempted by things I loved. The truth is, I'm not.

As for loving chipolte... There's lots of things you can do to Paleo-tize the meal - e.g., order a chicken burrito minus the tortilla. Adjust it so it fits the paleo lifestyle. You may find you don't miss the tortilla part if you can have the yummy (paleo) insides. :drinker:
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm primal, not paleo, but I go to Chipotle about once a week and get a burrito bowl with double meat (1 serving of steak and another of chicken), fajita veggies, salsa, cheese and guacamole with lettuce and cilantro on top.
  • samkelly89
    Options
    It's not silly at all. I remember when I first considered eating paleo, I kept thinking about how I'd never get to eat bagels or pizza again. Or oatmeal. After a while as your body gets used to being fueled with foods that are satisfying and nourishing, you really will find that you won't miss the other foods. But I say give yourself at least a month of truly eating paleo before trying regularly scheduled cheat" meals. If you start at 80/20, you never will fully see the effects of eating paleo or primal. I recommend trying a Whole 30 challenge (read It Starts With Food).

As time passes and you see the incredible transformation in your mood, body composition, sleep, skin, and appetite, and you learn how to cook the most delicious meals from whole foods, you might find yourself not missing Chipotle as much. Or maybe you still will, and in that case, you go out and get yourself that burrito and you have the time of your life! And guess what? That burrito becomes not a "Cheat" (I don't like the negative connotation) but a wonderful special treat that you only get to have once in a while. I know that I didn't eat even 80/20 primal during the holidays, but that's because I enjoy my family's traditional cooking because it's special to me.

You'll figure out what works for you, that's what it's all about. No one size fits all. Welcome to the paleo/primal lifestyle!

I love this thank you, I will try to stay with 100% paleo for as long as possible before allowing a chipotle run, just so I can really see the benefit of paleo. I think that I could try the Whole 30 challenge too. I've been hearing a lot about that lately.
  • samkelly89
    Options
    You may find after awhile, you won't want that stuff anymore. I've had 2 instances where I was tempted by something sweet. I went ahead and ate them - well, a better term would be I took a bite and found that it tasted horrid! WAY too sweet and "off" tasting. I tossed the rest. I was worried that I'd be endlessly tempted by things I loved. The truth is, I'm not.

As for loving chipolte... There's lots of things you can do to Paleo-tize the meal - e.g., order a chicken burrito minus the tortilla. Adjust it so it fits the paleo lifestyle. You may find you don't miss the tortilla part if you can have the yummy (paleo) insides. :drinker:

Haha I think I would be so happy if a burito tasted weird or "off" to me. Who knows, maybe it will! That would make being paleo a cakewalk I think. But I also like your suggestions of how to make chipotle still work for me =) Thank you!
  • samkelly89
    Options
    I'm primal, not paleo, but I go to Chipotle about once a week and get a burrito bowl with double meat (1 serving of steak and another of chicken), fajita veggies, salsa, cheese and guacamole with lettuce and cilantro on top.

That is an excellent suggestion. I'm still not sure what the difference is between paleo and primal. Maybe I am primal? I am just eating fruit, veggies, meat, and nuts. I don't know how I feel about adding in dairy yet.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I was like you not wanting to give up on some old favorites. So between Friday evening and Saturday I have allowed a cheat. There is one thing I have discovered. When I eat the cheat (in 80% of the cases) I feel poorly after or it is not as great as I hyped it to be. Which to me is not really disappointing but supports my new transition into a lifestyle I can see is better for me and takes that need to cheat or have that item out of the forefront of my mind.

As I move forward my cheat cravings have subsided or I have found some excellent recipes to create paleo/primal/whole food versions. Pizza and fried chicken are favorites and I have found some awesome recipes for both on line.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

^This.

You could make a chicken omelette - burrito flavourings, egg wraps. Maybe even a coconut flour tortilla if you're into that.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I can't eat non paleo food without being sick for about 4 days after - but I DO have cheat days. They're just with paleo food. This is where I use my new paleo baking skills. :) I don't think it will derail you, but I agree that as time passes it might start to make you sick.
  • lilbrowngirl
    lilbrowngirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think if you think of it as a lifestyle, cheats will happen because you're enjoying life. I usually eat non-paleo when I'm out w/ friends but I still try to make healthier choices. However part of that is knowing how your body reacts with certain foods. For example, some people react to corn or corn products other people may experience less or no side effects/ reactions.

I think eating paleo most of the time is great but you also want to enjoy yourself. Part of that is finding balance and really listening to your body and seeing how you feel.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Definitely wait and stay whole paleo for 30 days. Plan a Chipotle burrito as a reward for the end of the 30 days. It will also serve as a test to see how such a meal will affect you. You may find that it's okay and you can indulge in Chipotle every so often, or you may discover that the side effects just aren't worth it.
  • samkelly89
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replys! It makes me feel way better to read everyone's suggestions and to also know that I am not silly for still wanting a burito. I really appreciate everyone's advice! =)
  • Aloemilk
    Aloemilk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you start at 80/20, you never will fully see the effects of eating paleo or primal

True! I originally started primal in October 2011. I did well for almost two months, until Christmas time... Hubby and I spend a few days at his parents' house and decided we would take a break from being strictly primal. Things were never the same; we started cheating 2 huge meals a week more or less.

After a bit more than a year of falling off the wagon too often, we're trying to be more strict now.
    I'm still not sure what the difference is between paleo and primal. Maybe I am primal?

Primal allows for dairy as a choice, whereas Paleo doesn't allow for it. There are other minimal differences I think, but this is the main one.

I've found that carbs usually work only as a vehicle for the yummies: fat and other stuff you can put on it. It's not like pasta and bread have much flavour: it's what you add to it that makes it so good to the tongue.

Example: I don't like toasted bread alone, but if I think of it with lots and lots of butter............omg, I'm still craving it!
  • samkelly89
    Options

I've found that carbs usually work only as a vehicle for the yummies: fat and other stuff you can put on it. It's not like pasta and bread have much flavour: it's what you add to it that makes it so good to the tongue.

Example: I don't like toasted bread alone, but if I think of it with lots and lots of butter............omg, I'm still craving it!

I never have thought of it that way but you are completely right! Crazy.... =) SO TRUE
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I say try to be as strict as you can and you'll feel the best difference! That said I have basically no willpower. So when I'm trying to be as primal as possible, somehow (like today!) a cookie slips in or whatever. That said I really FEEL that cookie (or whatever thing it is). The sugar hits me like crazy, and then boom crash! My tummy get a little out of sorts and the next day I'm just not 100%. It really didn't take me long to become sensitized to this stuff. (maybe I always have been but just never noticed? Maybe it's all placebo and I'm a crazy person? haha who knows)

Anyway I kind of like that I now get a little sick from a cookie. It motivates me to eat well again. Again life style change, a process, etc. I know now what my body feels best with. Do I always succeed in making those right choices? heck no! But at least I know what foods really feed me, and what foods feed the stressy emotional crazy parts of me. And if I start to feel ****ty I know I've got to hunker down and eat my yummy veggies and meats again and boom I start to feel better. AWESOME SAUCE!

yeah, so sure you can be a slacker like me and have some cheats, but remember it'll slow down your progress and ultimately make you a bit sick. That said, it's cool cuz you now are empowered to get back on that horse. You know what you got to do. So do it. :)
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I never "plan" a cheat day or meal, that way I don't feel like I should eat it if I don't want it. If I come home tired one night and pizza sounds good, we order pizza, if we go out for breakfast and I want a pancake with my bacon and eggs, I go for it. I don't indulge every day, or everytime I have a craving, and sometimes I'll go a couple weeks without cheating at all (sometimes it's a couple times a week). I don't sweat it, and as soon as you truley start looking at this as a lifestyle it won't be so hard (it takes a bit to get away from SAD habbits that have been ingrained in us all these years). I'd say go with the flow, like Mark Sisson says, if you're not enjoying it then it's probably not healthy. Life is to be enjoyed, that's the best thing about being Primal/Paleo, the focus is on quality of life, not on the scale!