On the edge!

Options
I need support, and encouragement! I want to be surrounded by people who want to see me through this journey!

Long story short......

Last year, I went in for a physical. A couple days later I got a call from my doctor saying my A1C was borderling pre-diabetic, and he encouraged me to lose weight. I yo yo all year long and this year again instead of my doctor saying it may help to lose weight he said Casey, they weight HAS to come off. I will see you back in May!

So of course there was a flood of emotions. Why didn't I do better last year. I can't dwell on that, I spoke with a nutrionist Monday and she really helped shine some light on my ordeal...I was convinced I that I couldn't carbs anymore. And much to my surprise I was so wrong. So here I am starting over, and fighting to get my life back to normal before I felt this bad all the time.
I still struggle eating so much each day, but each day I find other combinations that work.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I hope to make some life long friends from this site! We are in this together! Take a peak at my diary and let me know what I need to change or work on!!

THANKS!!!

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Casey, I'm glad you saw the nutritionist and found out that having type 2 doesn't mean "no carbs"...but rather include them in reasonable amounts. Looks like you're doing that in your food diary, so good job. I'd suggest you add a few more foods in the veggie category as they're filling without too many calories, fairly low carb and also add needed nutrients. I know I did the same as you did...procrastinated when it came to beginning to drop the pounds, but I finally got with the program! You're smart to catch it early. Keep up the good work.
  • seakittyfish
    seakittyfish Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and have to count carbs and just in general lose weight...it isn't always easy but it is easier with a little help from your friends. Please add me to your friends list if you would like. ♥
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My first impression of your diary is that you need to eat real food -- meat, veggies, dairy, etc.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Casey,

The default settings on MFP set the carbs too high for most diabetics. You can customize them to bring down the carbs and bring up the protein to a level that will work with you in managing your condition. If you go to the goals menu and select custom goals, you can set your carbs at 50% or whatever level the nutritionist recommended. When I first started, I found that I was barely getting any protein before I hit the limit, and I had carbs left over at the end of the day. Now with the adjusted settings, I have a plan that works better for me. And I agree with those folks who recommend more veggies at meals and snacks. Good luck to you.

--Deb
  • caseye83
    Options
    Def. agree with getting in more veggies, haven't had the chance to get to the grocery store. I will be working on that this weekend! Thanks for the advice everyone and for being so KIND :)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I also think that MFP's default settings are much too high for all but the most active diabetics. Do you have a blood glucose monitor? That's the easiest, most effective way to determine the appropriate carb level for YOU.
    Here's a nice explanation to get you started - the whole site is good, but the eat to your meter advice is golden!

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    As a fellow newcomer to the T2 scene, I would also recommend the bloodsugar101.com site as well. If no one has all ready pointed you at it... yet. I don't have much else to say, because I'm still on the start up learning curve. KD and Rainey are both working over time with me to help me get into line.