odd hours and new

Options
just joined a day ago but i work in shifts. i did not want to wait so i started yesterday. the thing is i am working 11pm to 7am. i also worked friday but started 7am to 3pm then came back and worked friday11pm to sat.7am. started counting calories from sat. 8am. i ate close to midnight friday. not sure weather to count them for saterday. if anybody works a schedule like mine plz friend me. maybe you can give me pointers or we can figure it out. my worst times will be when i work this shift and am on call. slept for 2hrs since friday 6am. looking to sleep at least four more hours sunday.

Replies

• Wez317
    Wez317 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One of the cool things MFP lets you do is, change the names of traditional meal times. I changed breakfast to 11pm - 7am, lunch to 7am - 3pm, dinner to 3pm - 11pm. This played with my mind at first. It quickly became very helpful identifying what foods I should be eating. Like not eating left over dinner at work as "breakfast" , 3am isn't a good time to eat a heavy meal(very sleepy). I stopped bring heavy left over meals. Finding a satisfying meal to eat between 11-7am hasn't happened yet! Coffee and donut is convenient and easy. The calories suck. What do you have with coffee, that isn't high in calories?
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I also work 11p-7a and changed the headings in my diary as well.. granted I haven't been logging (Oops!) but when I do get back into it, I have my day going from midnight-midnight, so "breakfast" is from 12am-8am, midday is 8am-4pm, and then 4pm-12am is dinner. I find that helps me the best in organizing things. I usually don't eat leftover dinners at work either, but instead bring things that are on the lighter side, enough to be satisfied, and (hopefully) get me through the shift.
  • Wez317
    Options
    45 lbs. lost . Wow, Working these hours. If you don't mind, How long has it taken? Do you sleep well? More then 4 to 6 hours a day.
  • allie7383
    Options
    i started on here seriously last May/June at 193 and by this time last year I was down to 158.. This year hasn't been as good in the weight loss dept, for multiple reasons, but right now i've been holding at about 148-149 for several months now.. ready to finally get the rest off!
    oh boy, sleep... when i get home, i can usually get to sleep within an hour, however if i get 6 hours in then it's a good day. i usually get up around 2:30 and then try to nap before work. i'm dealing with a sinus infection right now and only got 5 this morning. argh!
  • Wez317
    Options
    Thanks!! It's encouraging to see your taking a long term goal. Not seeing the holding as failure. I'm holding my present weight after a small dip. I keep refining, I'm sure the hours and lack of sleep are slowing by progress.
  • allie7383
    Options
    Yeah I def think the lack of proper sleep affects not only the weight loss game, but my whole self. Just before I did my first half marathon in Oct, I could feel some sickness just hanging around, and then the day after.. bam! I was rather sick the whole time I was on vacay from work. Since then I feel like I have like zero immunity. Trying to work on actually taking a multivitamin and believe me when I'm off I get all the sleep I can!
  • pinkladywalking
    pinkladywalking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I noticed most of what is posted is older . i s this group still active? I could use so input on diet and excercise and sleep ( that precious commodity!!!)
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its sorta active. Most of us are so damn tired that it is hard to come up with anything brilliant. I worked nights for 20+ years (Hosp.) and have been tracking my food for about 3-4 years now and I must say that sleep is really, really important. Every time I sleep less that 5 hrs a night for a couple weeks I tend to start packing on the pounds even with a stable diet/ exercise regime. (I do not mean lately; I have been hitting the chocolates really really bad the last few days.) HOWEVER, what are your questions/ concerns? We may be able to help or at least fake it and sound knowledgeable while doing so.