Weight loss succee story with hypothyroidism

Options
kizzes12
kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
Hi anyone here experience success on weight loss? i was diagnosed last year may 2012 felt really depressed iam on meds june to august 2012 stopped my meds and just rely on multivitamins i felt great but january 2013 when i decided to go back to the doctor my goiter still visible huhuhu i used to weigh 120 and it went to 140 i exercise everyday but the weight is not coming down,,iam currently on 150 mcg levethyroxine my tsh is 6,,any encouraging words or success story will help i also read that estrogen dominance might be a factor thats why we have thyroid problems?what diet are you on high fiber..high protein? pls help! my fellow hypo friends!!! i will really appreciate your support i want my joy back i feel depressed when people like friends or family emmber who see me is always surprised that i gained i feel like they dnt even understand its this goiterrrr not my poor eating habits!!! i feel like they look at me from head to toe i feel so sensitive about it:(:cry: add me guys

Replies

• sometimes_blondie
    Options
    H there! I'm trying to follow the Paleo diet. So far it's the only thing that's helped my weight budge. Although, right now, I'm all hormaonal and carb cravings have hit me big time! :grumble: I've been reading that gluten free diets, and low carb diets are helpful.
  • kizzes12
    Options
    ok thanks so much i will search about paleo diet..are u still on thyroid meds ?what dose are u you currently on?
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Yeah, I'm on 88mcg of levothyroxin. They were going to keep me at 75, but my TSH was in the high normal, so I talked them into upping it a little. Now my TSH is at .725 and I feel so much better!
  • kizzes12
    Options
    my tsh is 6.3 ft4 17.96 and ft3 5.94 i have improvements on this already since my last checked up june 2012 i need my tsh lower iam on 150 mcg i hope the doctor is on the right track on my meds i wanna lose lose lose lol
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for 19 years and on 175mgs levothyroxine. i find im at my best when my tsh is at around 0.7 or lower. try and find what your normal is and keep having regular blood tests.
  • heygina
    Options
    Hi Kizzies, I sent you a friend request. I can't lose weight exercising and it's frustrating as heck!
  • jessipatra
    Options
    Hi, I'm on 100mcg Levothyroxine and have been for the past 2 years or so. Over this time I have put on about 10 or so kg. It'd be easy to blame the whole lot on hypothyroidism, but that'd be fooling myself. I was definitely eating too much and had pretty poor self control around sweet things, chocolate in particular. I was quite anxious that I'd have trouble losing weight, having read a few stories from others with hypothyroidism.

However, I decided to make a start about a month ago and through better portion control (ie not nibbling on my kids' leftovers!) and walking, I have lost 6kg (13lbs). I generally eat well (and pretty much always have) - lots of fruits and veges and very little processed food. I don't consciously limit any particular food groups and believe in small treats now and then. Most of what I eat is made from scratch.

So it is definitely possible for some people with hypothyroidism to lose weight! :happy:
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I can't lose either. I workout 7 days a week. eat clean. No carbs, fresh veggies,fruits legumes and egg whites,,,

weight isnt budging. lost 17 lbs and in a year but it hasnt budge since sept/oct 2012...constant struggle
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group. I started trying to loose in January 2011. I had allowed myself to get into the 300 range. My largest recorded weight was 308 but I'm sure I made it into the 320's. I'm only Five Two. I recently hit 80 lost and feel good and defeated at the same time. I see the 80 gone but then think that at a rate of 2lbs a week, I should be down at least 100 by now. Even with the defeated feeling, I'm pushing on.

I take 88mcg of Levo as well. I was injured in the 80's when I was in 2nd grade. I rapidly went from a very thin 2nd grader to a plump little thing and continued to grow. I'd like to say it was all my thyroid but truth is, I sat around and ate out of depression and other stuff. I've tried to loose weight in the past but was never successful.

I started out on a high protein low carb, Atkins type diet and lost but my body was very upset with the over-load of protein. I slowly transitioned to eating good carbs (fruits, veggies, etc.) and am now a "clean" eater. I'm not loosing as fast as I did with Atkins but I feel so much better. I was working out 5-6 days a week until I suffered an ankle injury in January roller skating. I don't get released until March 8 to do lower body working out but I do get to hit the gym again on Monday for upper body working out.

In addition to my daily meds, I also take Cellucor's Super HD (a thermogesic) and blood pressure medicine. I was taking meds for diabetes type 2 but was able to slowly reduce the amounts until I was able to stop taking them. I was also able to reduce my BP meds by over half and am looking forward to taking them out of my daily routine.

I took this earlier this week so I'm in between 76 and 80 pounds gone in it. I have found that taking pics is a great way to motivate me, especially when you can see a difference.

In case you're wondering, no I didn't go all Sinead O'Connor, my SIL and I shaved our heads with a close friend who is battling breast cancer.

2_zps9d4de85c.jpg
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 5 lbs in the last year, and 20lbs overall. For some, that wouldn't really seem like a success since it's so slow, but for the effort I've put in, it's definitely a success. My efforts to lose weight are inconsistent, but I feel a thousand times better than I did a few years ago. I'm proud of my progress, and I bought some smaller pants this week.
  • halmase
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for nine years, on medication for 5 years. I have had significant hair loss and intractable weight gain. I am doing a paleo type diet. I am currently on a 3 grain dose of Armour equivalent and .75 mcg of Synthroid. This keeps my TSH values at about .44 and also keeps my T4 from pooling. It has been a very long, long journey to get to this point. I will stabilize and then crash. I am 45 years old and six feet tall. I used to be a gym rat but now only do yoga, primarily Bikram yoga. I would encourage anyone suffering with hypothyroidism to read up on the disorder. I do not take generic forms of Synthroid due to unstable generic formulations and have found that I feel much better on Armour equivalent medication. It was, however, difficult to get my endocrinologist to prescribe the medication. Until the early 1970s, TSH tests were not available and doctors prescribed enough medication until the patient's symptoms abated and the patient also reported feeling better. I highly recommend the 'Stop the Thyroid Madness' website for additional information as well as Mary Shomon's about.com page on hypothyroidism.
  • castats
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm also new to the group. My weight was reasonable until about a year ago, but it's gone completely nuts in the last 6 months.
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism a bit over a year ago, have been trying to sort out my ideal level since.
    What's really cheesing me off at the moment is the knowledge that my metabolism is now at the higher end of normal, but it seems like the slightest excess of carbs sticks like glue........ Having trouble accepting that the way I like eating plus a fairly sedentary job is just not right from my body's point of view! ( Being stuck to a chair inf ront of a computer instead of being at home chasing kids all day probably hasn't helped.)
    I know I *can* eat the right way having done it before, but some days it did drive me up the wall somewhat (didn't have much choice over two pregnancies - borderline gest diabetes twice), and lost 12 kilos (24 pounds) each time. ( Having someone else consuming calories for you helps I guess.)
    Trying to maintain/lose weight OUTSIDE of pregnancy is the problem for me. Have gained 15 kg in just over 2 years left to myself. Ouch.
    Anyway, hoping the "food & exercise tracking" approach will help me, if I'm honest about it it will at least help keep the extras from creeping in. It's easier not to have them if you're admitting it to others.....
    Not a lot of time for exercise between work and the kids (plus I sunburn very easily - lunchtime walks not always an option in summer ), so the exercise bike is my main option. I tend to do craftwork for my sanity, which I can't do on a bike (very well anyway - yes I've tried ). so it looks like alternating days for me..... Finger twiddling with string is my equivalent of meditation.
    My target is fairly realistic, I've been spitting distance from 70 kgs twice, would love to be back there again.
    Unfortunately it's not just the desire to be a size 14 again that's driving me, diabetes is pretty rampant in my family, and I don't want to be kicking myself in 5 - 20 years time.....

Good to see a lot of people succeeding in the weight loss stakes, I hope to be joining you soon!

Cas. =)
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Congrats Margie!! WTG!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I lost 24 lbs in the year before I got pregnant. I'm now 14 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and have only gained 5 lbs so far.

It CAN be done if you want it to be. You have to work for it, it's not easy, but it is possible.

Right now, I am trying super hard to not gain too much in the pregnancy because I still have a lot to lose after I have the baby.
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for about 10 years. I modified my diet to exlude most goitogenctrics about 5 years ago, and was able to go off meds, but I didn't count calories and I didn't excercise.

I started excercising in 6/2012 and started counting calories 11/2012. I am down about 70 pounds so far.

So it is possible.
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    Hi, I'm Maria, I had my thyroid removed 8 yrs ago and I'm currently taking 175mg of synthrioid. Having a good endo is key. One that listens to you instead of going to by the numbers. I started to lose some weight and my last endo drop me to 150mg. I started feeling sluggish and tired so I heard of an another doctor in town, got and appt and told her how I was feeling and also told her that I've been taking 175 for 9 yrs with no problems but now that I'm losing weight that my other doctor lowered it so I did a fast, did new blood work and sure enough I feeling that way for a reason so the New doctor raised back to 175 and I'm also taking Phentermine. I was 42 and lost 40 pounds from running! I started and compeleted the C25k and ran a lot of 5ks. I was running 7 miles 3 days a week. Then the Summer came and my husband needed me to help him at our business so my running slowly stopped. I gained all the weight back. I'm now back to running again and i'm also doing turbo fire. I'm 45 and I know I have to exercise daily and watch what I eat to lose but I've done it before and I can and will do it again.:)
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Margie - you look great & I am proud you are supporting a breast cancer friend!!! Slow losses get us all down but my theory is if you lose fast it tends to come back on fast. if you lose slow your body adjusts to the changes & tends to keep it off. Keep doing what you are doing and keep the goal in mind.
  • jla891
    jla891 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi guys... I lost 25 pounds in the last year and a half. (i have hypothyroid) ...what do you ladies do for toning up your mid section!??!
  • survivor1952
    Options
    Hi anyone here experience success on weight loss? i was diagnosed last year may 2012 felt really depressed iam on meds june to august 2012 stopped my meds and just rely on multivitamins i felt great but january 2013 when i decided to go back to the doctor my goiter still visible huhuhu i used to weigh 120 and it went to 140 i exercise everyday but the weight is not coming down,,iam currently on 150 mcg levethyroxine my tsh is 6,,any encouraging words or success story will help i also read that estrogen dominance might be a factor thats why we have thyroid problems?what diet are you on high fiber..high protein? pls help! my fellow hypo friends!!! i will really appreciate your support i want my joy back i feel depressed when people like friends or family emmber who see me is always surprised that i gained i feel like they dnt even understand its this goiterrrr not my poor eating habits!!! i feel like they look at me from head to toe i feel so sensitive about it:(:cry: add me guys
    If you are concerned about the estrogen link, limit or eliminate soy products from your diet. That being said, we can all offer what works for us and you can see if any of our successes work for you too. I agree that the key is finding a great endo. My endo is actually who put me on to MFP! I am still a work in progress & I guess will always be as this thyroid thing changes. When you have your labs done be sure he/she checks out any other issues that might be suspect. My last bloodwork came back showing pre-diabetes. I started med for that & now my thyroid & pancreas seem to be working together better. I am trying to limit carbs (HARD!!!) and just watching my calories. I have my next endo check up on the 12th. & will see if there are any changes. More than just having weight issues, I am still trying to get the coldness & tiredness under control. Do you have that issue too? I could cope better if I didn't go through these cold & tired spells.
  • survivor1952
    Options
    Just a quick question to ask all of you...When first Dx, I was put on Levothyoxine. When I called for a refill (didn't have enough to last till my appointment) it was filled as Synthroid. Now, I know these are basically supposed to be the same meds but I seem to be having a mild reaction to this new script (occassional heart flutters, not really palpitations.) It doesn't happen much, maybe a few seconds once or twice a day. Did not have this till I started the new script so I guess it has to be it. Anyone else go from one script to another & have a reaction? This doesn't concern me since I will be seeing dr. next week & will run it by her.