Let's start a group!

Options

Replies

• Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hear what you are saying. In Victoria, Canada, they are on the cutting edge of cancer treatment. They have an "Inspire the World" Cancer Clinic there. That's likely what they are likely copying. If that's the case, you are fine. I did hear something about them doing that. They are actually on the leading edge. That's where I went for my treatments.
    The cat scan that they do before you start the radiation maps out where your heart is so they miss it when they do the radiation.
    The radiation only hit 5% of my heart, apparently. They are better at it now then when I had it done.
    I got very weak and tired from the radiation. It was helped by eating protein. Afterwards I took a lot of vitamin C. (They say not to take Vitamin C during the treatments as it stops the effect of the radiation!) That's what they told me 10 years ago, anyway. Things could have changed.
    The fairer your skin, the more upset your skin will be from the treatment. Find a bra that is simply cotton, I used Elita underwear with no seams etc. It has to be cotton or rayon otherwise your skin will stick to the bra.
    So, if you can get throughout the treatments faster, go for it!
    If you think about the long term...that the radiation will help you extend your life, and not the short term scary aspect of it, you will get through it fine.
    I am 12 years post radiation and I still have no metastases even though my cancer came back again in the same breast. The reason it came back is that the surgeon didn't give me clear margins during the surgery. The radiation stopped the cancer for 10 years before it came back.
    I started this blog so that others wouldn't be so frightened. When I was first diagnosed I thought I was going to die right away. and....Here I am 12 years later!
    Losing weight and exercising is something that we do have control over. I have 10 pounds to go and I decided this morning that I am going to reach my goal. The less fat we have, the less estrogen can be stored in that fat. During treatments we often feel powerless. Taking control of your eating is powerful. Eating 3 heaping platefuls of leafy greens and vegetables a day and an apple leaves no room for anything else. My trick is to eat 10 (1/2cup) servings of fruits and veggies aday. Then I can have my treat. I never want a treat because I am too full. So I never eat anything bad for me. I am still 10 pounds overweight, though. I think I will add more protein for awhile.
    Did you know that moving your bowels a couple times of day reduces the estrogen in your system? It is actually eliminated in your bowels so says my cancer dietitian.
  • calpollyana
    Options
    Hey everyone!'
    Just wanted to chime in on the radiation and tamoxifen thread. I had my radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks and I had to drive 50 minutes to the cancer clinic. I was so afraid that I'd be too tired to handle the daily drive with my two kids in tow. But for me, I didn't get tired and it all went remarkably smoothly. I am a fair skinned, blue eyed Norwegian girl, but my skin barely changed color throughout the entire radiation process. I had heard horror stories about the radiation, and I remember thinking, "can it really be worse than the chemo?" It wasn't. For me it was no big deal, so you just never know...

I am currently taking tamoxifen, and have no problems with as yet. I get the occasional hot flash, but not much else. I did gain weight during the whole process, but I can't pin it on tamoxifen entirely. I've lost ten pounds so far and I'm working out much harder than I did pre cancer. I want to get my body fat percentage down...that is my main goal.

Good luck to all of you still in treatment, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hugs to all,
    Rhonda
  • Tap321
    Tap321 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also very curious of the connection of your eyes and tamoxifen. My eyes flooded with water and stayed flooded the first four days I took the tamoxifen 20 mg. Then they stopped it for a month and restarted it at 10mg for the last month. My eyes are extremely dry when I am on it. (I am off it for the next month because I am having another major surgery).

Tap
  • Gorger
    Options
    Hi Tap
    To answer your question...If you read the side effects of Tamoxifen you can see that it can cause cataracts. I developed cataracts, likely from the Tamoxifen, and that in turn caused Angle Closure Glaucoma. This caused me to nearly go blind. The trick is to get your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist frequently when you are on that drug. Now because of that - I had to have( laser) bilateral iridotomies so that I would not go blind. My vision has diminished and I am not a happy. I have to use eye drops about 10 times a day because of the dryness. I also have lots of 'floaters'.
    Moral of the story is that I am alive and I am not blind. I think it's good to take the drugs but really do keep watch on your eyes.
    Taxmoxifen can also cause blood clots so don't sit with your legs crossed while you are on the drug.
    Aspirin helps prevent blood clots. I take a baby aspirin a day but even aspirin has drug side effects. Always read the package.
    There are side effects to all of these drugs but what's the alternative?
  • keltee15
    keltee15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to the group and to MFP, Thank you for adding me! I had a lumpectomy 7-5 2009. I had just finished up 8 surgeries on my arm and wrist for kienbocks disease when they found the lump. I couldn't do any treatments because of all the surgeries on my arm. They said radiation would blow up my arm. I had been doing ok until my last test in august, they said they would wait until 6 months and maybe to a biopsy then. Same breast. I go back for my recheck Feb26, My mom also went through it, so far shes been cancer free for 10 years. I couldnt take any of the cancer meds because of side effects and just this past fathers day i had a heart attack, all the time i was worried about strokes, the stupid heart got me. Anyway I am glad I can come here an read ppl posts and ask questions. Thanks again for adding me :)
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Is anyone in contact with Weemuse (Kathy) she deactivated her account. I hope she is ok
  • fattoothfairy
    fattoothfairy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    first time on mfp and I have just recently been diagnosed with breast cancer (IDC). I am awaiting partial mastectomy and sentinel node diagosis in late March. Have not told my family outside of my husband yet until I can get the final diagnosis and treatment plan . I work full time and have 4 older children in their 20's.
    I am 55 years old, 5ft 7" and weigh 194lbs
    I excercise regularly 5-6 times a week in fitness classes such as body pump and body combat.
    I would like to lose 25lbs by mid april as my husband and I are going away for two weeks before I start some kind of treatment.
  • Gorger
    Options
    Welcome to our group!
    You are very brave indeed to keep things hush-hush. When I look back I wish I hadn't told anyone either - as the phone calls didn't end; a parade of well wishers unknowingly added additional strain with their repeated requests to make me tell the same old story, over and over again until I had no energy to speak about it anymore; and the minute I stopped thinking about it, another call would come in, asking me to repeat over, that which I just forgot, for a moment. And with every loaded questions, an urge came to almost argue my points. "No, I don't walk crooked with one breast removed." Or, "What do I feel about going bald?... is that what you just asked me?" The calls kept coming, one after another, mainly asking, "are you having a mastectomy?" as if that really mattered to them. For me it seemed that there was never was a genuine caring, "Can I help you", or "Would you like me to come and walk your dog?" And, as the well wishers kept calling, I found no time to make the crucial and critical decisions that arrived with so very little time to process.
    Good luck with your imminent surgery. You will survive and thrive. Everyone has a difference experience. Bravo to you for knowing the best thing to do for yourself and for you this happens to be - keeping things private. Some people get tons of energy and help from sharing with others, my personal story is - I did not. Always go with your gut feeling. It's always seems to be right. You can always tell them later but you can never take your words back...
  • suzyquackers
    suzyquackers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Greetings!!
    I was diagnosed with two types of cancer in my breast in 2011, one a traditional ILBC and the other a very rare one. I also tested positive for the BRCA2 gene so I am genetically predisposed to BC and the second type has a 50% re-occurrence rate. I had chemo and bilateral mastectomies with lymph dissection on one side.I choose not to have reconstruction given the uncertainty of the safety of implants and my predisposition to cancer. I never want to put myself or my family through that ordeal again. I need to get healthy and stay healthy. I need to lose 84 pounds.
    I am thrilled to find others on the same journey to share struggles with.
    Bright Blessings.
    Susan
  • suzyquackers
    suzyquackers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello Rabbit,
    I finished treatment with surgery (bilateral mast w/lymph on one side) in August of 2011 and I am just starting to feel "normal" again. It does get better, slowly but surely. Even now I have bad days, mostly the grey rainy/snowy ones when everything aches and I feel sorry for myself, but then I remember the April I was diagnosed. I had two cancers in my breast. One was a rare one with a less then 40% cure rate. I could be dead in 6 months they told me. I remembered seeing a crocus and bursting out crying in my car thinking I would never see spring flowers ever again. Today I am thankful for every minute, every day with my family, every rainbow, all of it, the good and the bad.
    I am sending you a big hug and lots of well wishes.
    Susan
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I haven't checked in for awhile. My C Day as I call it is June 6th, 2011 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am doing well.. Determined to keep the weight I lost off and be healthy. Lots of good tips in this forum. Thank you GORGER for starting this.
    jeri
  • marsha_62
    marsha_62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! A little self history- I am a 6 year survivor of BC. I opted for lumpectomy which ended up being plural. :) I had chemo and lost my hair and a full round of radiation. During that time, I got an infection at the surgery site and was hospitalized and pumped with antibiotics for 3 days. I took Tamoxifen for the 5 years and now my doctor feels it in my best interest to continue on with medication. I tried Arimidex but I ached too much so now I am on Aromasin along with aspirin regiment and Zantac. . I am doing better with that but through it all I gained the weight. I had lost 27 pounds on Weight Watchers but it kept fluctuating. I lost my motivation. A friend recommended MFP and so here I am determined to lose another 20-25 pounds.
    I saw this group and felt finally someone can relate to me and my situation. Hello camrades!
  • Gorger
    Options
    Hello Marsha
    Thank you for joining our group. We are here to support you! MFP is a great way to start.
    Feel free to friend me if you need some motivation.
    -Gorger
  • cleppie
    cleppie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello.

My first post, though I've been on mfp since January. I am a 33 year survivor of breast CA. I was given 9 months to live when originally diagnosed. June is the anniversary of my predicted 'death.' I believe I've outlived my original doctors. At the time, I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. Never put on any anti-hormones or other post chemo drugs -- other than steroids for pain. I have, over the years, been on steroids several times, some related to the radiation but not all. Diagnosed with lymphedema 2 years ago. I also have fibromyalgia and arthritis. I've also had a few pre-cancers here-and-there, after the big one, but always caught early. Probably have the most mammogrammed boobs in the world ;)

Never weighed above 118 until CA and the steroids. I've lost and gained ~45 lbs thru WW at least 4X since chemo. I could blame the steroids, but really, it's still calories in -- calories out.... I'm thinking the exercise and food diaries will make the difference this time. I'm determined this is the last time I will need to lose weight. I've always (post CA) used illness as an excuse -- no longer. Plus I seem to have become addicted to walking. I'm now doing squats, situps and dumbbells -- which I never did before...

I plan to never stop using the diaries, even once I reach maintenance.
  • mcfo1967
    mcfo1967 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! I am also a breast cancer survivor. I was treated from December 2009 to July 2010, and I am still having tamoxifen.
    I am Brazilian and I am spending a year (from Jan 2013 to Jan 2014) in Tucson-AZ.
  • pjholcomb
    pjholcomb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful attitude you have, cleppie! I am a two year survivor and have been told many times that your attitude can save your live. It is that important. So thankful for your success in beating cancer. You give me hope!!
  • pjholcomb
    pjholcomb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How are you doing mcfo1967? I am a two year survivor so I've been there. Hang tough girl!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just found this group! I was diagnosed with a rare form of breast cancer called a spindle cell sarcoma. This is called cancer of the connective tissue and there is nothing they can give me to stop it from spreading. It spreads by the blood. Chemo would only help 10% and could damage my heart and bladder so we opted for surgery and radiation. Had 2 surgeries in January within 2 weeks of each other as they did not get clear margins on the first surgery. That was a killer. Went through radiation in March and April. Just started Curves trying to get back into shape. Only gained 8 pounds during treatment and have lost those already. I'm scheduled for a cat scan of my lungs August 1, 2013. The doctor said this will be critical to check me every 6 months for the next 5 years to make sure cancer doesn't spread. The next place the cancer would go would be my lungs. I'm just praying and I have a whole bunch of friends and family praying it hasn't spread. Had cat scan in February and my lungs were clear. Took the summer off from work to just have fun and run around with my mom and sister. Have to go back to work August 2, 2013.
  • SuzieQ430
    SuzieQ430 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, crudd 123. You are one tough cookie! Hugs and prayer to you for a healthy recovery. Enjoy your time off--you deserve it.
  • mbryanlpc
    mbryanlpc Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Mary, I was diagnosed on May 3rd of this year, stage 1. I have had 2 lumpectomies, and was very lucky, it did not affect the lymph nodes. Also, the gene testing scored low, so that is good. I am on Tamoxifen, and after finding you guys earlier today, I called my eye doctor. She is going to see me every 6 months for the next 5 years to make sure my eyes are going to be okay. I started radiation a week ago, have to go for 7 weeks. I am tired, sick, grumpy, you name it! The nurse said that my continuing to work may be contributing some to my exhaustion. You all are so brave! I feel so scared all the time. I know in my head my prognosis is good, but keep feeling like my time is short. How do you guys deal with the fear? I asked for counseling (I am a counselor myself, and do recognize when I am not coping well). I am waiting to get someone to see that I do not know. Hard in a small town. I am being so mean and have no patience!! Anyone else feel this way?