newbie i'm mean never even tryed newbie

Options
mikey1976
mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
1] i have serious question for you all if i got into crossfit should still think about joining a gym
2] what if i'm really out of shape
3] is there any one doing this sport with type two diabeties

thank you all

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'lll have a crack at answering your questions.

1) That depends on what you want to join a gym for. Crossfit is a total body, high-intensity strength & conditioning program. There is nothing you require to do above & beyond in order to get fit. However, if you have other fitness goals on top of just getting in shape, then you may want to join a gym in order to focus on those other goals. For me, I'm not a member of any other gym, but I do run and swim on 'off' days.

2) I think that, because of the intensity of Crossfit, you'd be well advised to start with something less intense and work your way up to Crossfit. But that all depends on what you mean by "really out of shape." Try going to crossfit.com and doing one of their conditioning workouts at home to get an idea of the intensity and whether or not you're 'in shape' enough to do the WODs.

3) I'm afraid I can't answer that for you from my own experience.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you're really "out of shape", the coaches should/will adjust any exercises based on what you can do. If you've seen Biggest Loser at all this time around, Bob has incorporated a bunch of CrossFit stuff into his workouts and those highly overweight people are doing a lot of the things done at some average CrossFit classes.

There was a lady that just started at my box the other day and it was "AMRAP" (as many rounds as possible) for the reps and she got through only two rounds, I got through 7 and others went 11 or 12. It doesn't matter as long as you go and give it what you got....you will see progression. There also is a lady that is 50 years old that attends regularly and she has been going about a year now and kills the workouts.

Most boxes will have a free intro class - I would advise to go check it out :)

PS/Edit - I wanted to add that I was super intimidated and initially thought about going a year before I actually ever did. I have been going to gyms and running 5ks and messing with personal trainers and going to classes, etc. I even tried Insanity and P90x at home, but it's not possible for me because it's too easy for me to get up and turn the DVD off. All I can say I wish I would have started CrossFit sooner - when I first considered it. Yes, I realize it may not be for everyone, but definitely at least attempt it, and you may find it's the best discovery ever - which is how I feel :)
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm really out of shape. Went to CF twice the week. Kicked my butt, but I loved it. DO IT
  • Splinter24
    Splinter24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Crossfit either. But between my best friend and my doctor, both crossfit fanatics, they've talked me into trying it. My fundamentals class starts in 2 weeks and Im super nervous. I'm in shape - round is a shape right?

Anyway - give it a shot! What do you have to lose?
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm very new (about 6 weeks in), with very little exercise in the past 15 years. I'm obese and t2 diabetic. The first of this year, with meds I was having trouble controlling my bG. Now, my numbers are low-normal -- still on the meds. My goal is to come off of them completely. It's a work in progress, but hard exercise has been the only thing to bring my numbers down like this.

It's hard. The hardest thing I've ever done in my life (and I birthed 2 11-pound babies in my living room). But I love it so freaking much. I was terrified at first, but they really can modify everything to your starting level.