Which pose came for free?

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
At group practice last week, we were discussing the poses we got for free. These are poses that you could always do, even when you first started.

I could always get up into handstand, wheel, and touch my toes in a forward bend, though increasing my hold in handstand is still a challenge.

Twists are still difficult and binds are still alluding me.

What about you?

(Hopefully no one is getting sick of me posting topics on this group. I like to talk about yoga.)

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not getting sick of talking about yoga at all - my favourite subject!

My freebie has always been being able to touch my toes - even being able to get the backs of my wrists on the floor with straight legs. I've always been able to tuck the lower hip under in Trikasana; supple hips.

In my late teens I was able to do a full seated twist with a bind and thought I would always have it. Years on and weight on and I find I have that freebie taken from me. I'm working my way back right now.

The pose I would love to be proficient in is handstand. I have Tripod Headstand OK and working on balance. Fear of going right over onto my back though I know that is unlikely.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Not enough yoga topics I say! More discussion please:happy:

My freebies: tree, warrior 3 & dancer... I think my balance has always been pretty good. But that's about it! Everything else was not free at all... when I first began, I couldn't even bring my leg up & forward from downward dog to a lunge without putting my knee down or helping it up with my hands & adjusting. And no toe touching. I used to suffer from terrible shoulder & neck pain too (I hold stress & tension there) but yoga has helped me to relieve it all and I've been a big fan ever since:)
  • MonkeeBob
    Options
    uuummmm...none of them LOL

However, I did start yoga after not being able to walk for like two years :grumble:
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a relative beginner to yoga (been doing it for about two months now, but taking several classes per week). I've always been able to touch my toes so many forward bends have come easily- though that could be because one of my instructors says I have long arms.

Other freebies: bound angle, reclining hero, camel.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    uuummmm...none of them LOL

However, I did start yoga after not being able to walk for like two years :grumble:

You might have the ability to sit still or keep your mind quiet - both of which are extremely rare. Everyone has something.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    for some reason crow pose is something i could always do...even putting my foot around my leg!...also warrior 3 always came naturally for me when i started p90x.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Seated Forward Bend..... Pigeon.....shoulderstand and standing forward bend

Fun conversations...
  • MonkeeBob
    Options

You might have the ability to sit still or keep your mind quiet - both of which are extremely rare. Everyone has something.

LOL, I'm still working on that...but after a year or so of yoga, I can do some pretty amazing things I would have never dreamed of before!! :bigsmile:
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    heh. I could talk yoga all the time too.

My freebies were wheel, pigeon, and headstand. I'm sure there were others and even now I'll try a new pose and am surprised that I'm in it.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Personally I find myself sad when there are no new yoga topics to discuss, keep them coming :heart: :flowerforyou:

My freebies have always been forward bend (touching my toes), Pigeon, Dolphin, Wide-legged forward bend, and Tree Pose. So I guess that means balance and hamstrings are my strength. :smile:
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Love pidgeon...i think its more restful than downdog.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    for me pigeon and wheel, although I couldn't hold wheel for long I always used to do these poses while stretching for soccer when I was a kid I dont know why, it wasnt a team stretch I just always like the stretch I got from them
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I can only think of one: cobbler's pose. My knees have always gone straight to the ground.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i think headstand on the wall..?? now i can do headstand without the wall lol... in fact i can remember poses that i worked hard on and how it felt when i could first do it. but not so much poses that came for free. i guess i didn't care much about them since they are easy for me. i'm pretty flexible and good in balance so poses that require these are easier to me. but i need to work on arm balance and inversion. my weakness!