Headed to the kitchen

Options
I look in the fridge, the pantry, the fruit bowl. What looks good? What does my mouth want to taste? I know I'm still full from dinner, but....

I find myself at this cross road more often than I like, but I'm still doing it. Where is my will power? I know I won't lose the weight I want to lose eating this way.

UGH...

Replies

• ItsNotAnOption
    Options
    I do the exact same thing almost every single night!!! Its like an addiction or something! I can go the entire day eating "good", then after dinner I just go crazy. I can ruin a whole good day in about 5 minutes. I don't know why or what is wrong with me that causes me to do this. Its like self-sabatoge or something! How do we beat this? Anybody have suggestions?
  • fatgingy
    Options
    I do the same thing. I have had a bingeing problem that only shows itself at night. Sometimes, I find I just crave the feeling of chewing, so I will grab some gum or ice. Other times, I try to drink away my urge with something with flavor, usually warm milk, or the individual hawaiian punch packets that go in water bottles. I even try to replace eating with sleeping, and call it an early night when i can. Sometimes this works, and others it doesn't. But I know if I keep trying, and don't give up, I will eventually come up with something that works, and I will beat it, just like you can!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I blew a whole day of great carb control last night by over eating and eating after dinner. It is so frustrating.
  • irishlady71
    irishlady71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am right there with all of you. Great all day and hit rock bottom every night. My other half works at night so once he goes to work it's a free for all. I have got to stop it. My goal tonight is to drink tea and if I feel the urge to get something I will go for fruit or celery. I know I can do it.

Best luck to all of you.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    YES. This is me too. Yesterday was perfect, 1600 kcal consumed during the day, I was perfectly full after dinner and then ..... I'm like a zoombie going back and forward, sofa-kitchen-sofa-kitchen. And between dinner and bedtime I consumed another 1200 kcal!!!! Why do I do this? And then of course comes the guilt, the beating-me up about it. It's not good, but how do you stop?
  • fatfighter1979
    fatfighter1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    so there are plenty of us that cannot get out of this habit we all have, and i must admit reading all your comments i too am the same, what i often try to do is not buy the foods in the first place, if it isnt in your fridge or cupboard then the temptation is not there.
    also brushing your teeth can help that often take away my sweet cravings or just keep yourself busy, send yourself to bed with a book or go out for a walk :O) x
  • D_e_a_n_n_e
    Options
    BIG HUG for all of you. Together we can do this. See you tonight:) lol.
  • MissNordicLight
    Options
    Last night wasn't bad at all! I brushed my teeth right after dinner and since I'm very lazy I didn't want to eat and have to brush them again :)

The things I snack on are not 'bad' foods, more like yoghurt with honey, wasa with butter and cheese, nuts and so on, things I always have at home. So keeping the pantry free from crap is unfortunately not a solution for me.

I guess we need to figure out what's missing, what is the hole in us that we are trying to fill.
  • marcf2001
    Options
    Hi,

I had also the same problem.
    Diner for us is more at 7pm, so it is finished by 7:30pm.

By 9-10pm, I feel a urge to eat something, often junk food, like Pringles or equivalent, or cheese and bread...
    not good esp when goign to bed at 10h30 or 11pm....

I am not always good at logging those also, as it explodes my cal limit...

I am trying to tell myself I am full already, but I get tempted every evening....
  • zelhya
    Options
    I Go to bed , I hope tonight would be a free meal night¡¡:frown:
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is me...

I often wonder if it something to with boredom... also the lack of routine? During the day at work I find it very easy to be 'good' and follow a low fat, low carb, high protein diet, and I do light exercise every day, but as soon as dinner is out of the way, it's like I can't help myself, I end up with a cake, or a dessert, or something equally as bad that ruins my day's efforts!

Will be following this post to see how other people deal with it, but I def agree that not having these things in the house in the first place is a good start!

My other thought was to try and have a small, 'healthy' treat, like a couple of pieces of dark chocolate, straight after my dinner, which may help curb the sweet tooth... but does it really work? Plus then that means i have to buy the chocolate and keep it in the house... hmm temptation!
  • tekwriter
    Options
    I have recently tried using my tablet to play a game while watching television. It seems to help. I am busy with the game and don't go to the fridge on the commercials. Some nights though nothing helps.
  • tekwriter
    Options
    Didn't know how to start a new thread. How about if we all set a snack time for the evening. We look at when we eat dinner and when we go to bed and set a time to have our snack? Perhaps if we know the time is coming we can just wait it out and only eat the one time after dinner?
  • MissNordicLight
    Options
    Didn't know how to start a new thread. How about if we all set a snack time for the evening. We look at when we eat dinner and when we go to bed and set a time to have our snack? Perhaps if we know the time is coming we can just wait it out and only eat the one time after dinner?

This is exactly what I have been doing this week. I thought that instead of trying to fight it and feel bad when I don't succeed, I will save some calories and plan for an evening snack. And so far it works. I try to make it a yummy snack and not an apple! For example I make crisps by pan-frying torilla bread in a little olive oil. I will give it this week and then evaluate, but so far so good!
  • D_e_a_n_n_e
    Options
    I think having a designated snack time would be helpful. I've been trying to have a good dinner, log my day, and turn to Farm Frenzy Forever to keep my attention. Then if my snack doesn't add more than 150 calories to my end of day, I'm ok with that. I know in the end those extra calories add up, but at least I'm not eating through the night anymore. What time did you choose for your post dinner snack?
  • tekwriter
    Options
    I would be interested in your results also. I am going to do that this week. I will set my time between 8 and 9 each night is when I can have a snack. It may be popcorn though so I can eat my way through till bedtime. lol