pregnancy weight gain patterns

Options
laurab1217
laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
Hey, I'm just curious, especially for those of you who are on your second, third, fourth, (or more) pregnancy....this is my first pregnancy and I've heard so many things about when people usually gain, whether steadily all throughout, or more in the second, or more in the third trimester. Some doctors are also way too rigid about when gain should occur....the first doctor I saw in the U.S. was like, you should only have gained 5 pounds in the first twenty weeks and then a pound a week after that....and scolded me! Luckily the new doctor I have hasn't even mentioned my weight to me. I'm just curious, in your pregnancies, when did you ladies gain the most? I was up 12-13 pounds at 24 weeks. dropped a pound, and now at 27 weeks I am still up 12.5, despite eating a lot more (Literally like 2,500 calories) the past couple of weeks. But my belly is definitely growing! Does anyone have similar situations where their gain leveled out? Did it start to pick back up again?

Replies

• kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think you are definatley right in that everyone gains weight in pregnancy in different ways and a 'one size fits all' approach is really unhelpful. I've known people who gain it all at the beginning, all at the end, or steadily throughout.
    Personally with my first pregnancy I didn't gain much at all until 20 weeks, with losses in the early first trimester. This pregnancy seems to be the same. I did have bad morning sickness with both pregnancies. With my first pregnancy I put on nearly 40 pounds in the last 20 weeks. There were weeks I gained 4 pounds a week. I think I put on 14 pounds in the last 5 weeks alone! I wasn't excercising or tracking my food, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't eating enough to merit that much! Anyway this time around I'm trying hard to excercise and eat properly so I can keep the weight gain in the recommended spectrum. How it actually goes, we'll see in 21ish weeks. To be honest, here in the UK, you never get weighed by the midwife. While extreme weight gain can cause complications I think sometimes the importance of how much weight you gain is really overemphasised. As long as your bump is growing and you are feeling regular movement, don't stress if you aren't gaining. It will probably pick up again in the 3rd trimester.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree it is not a one size fits all. I've been freaking out about a five pound weight fluctuation for the last 10 weeks. I fluctuate up and down depending on what I eat the day before. I have been eating more lately. I can't imagine not gaining at all for the first 20 weeks! I hope that could be me, but I don't think it is realistic. This is my first pregancy. Last year I lost 44 pounds and have maintained it. I hope that I can continue to eat healthy, but I find myself craving all the bad for you foods! I think as long as you are making more healthy choices than bad choices that you are doing okay.
  • Andrea3030
    Options
    With both pregnancies I only gained 5-10 lbs in the first half and then I gained 30-40 in the second half.

Yah, I'm trying really hard not to gain so much in the second half this time!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot to begin with first time, and even more this time, then plateaued for a while, then gained gradually, then ballooned in the final month. Total gain was around 30lb, but by a week past birth I was only 4lb heavier than my start weight!
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Pregnancy #1 gained a total of 80 pounds then lost 50 of it before pregnancy #2
    Pregnancy #2 gained 60 pounds.
    Pregnancy #3 gained 4 pounds then lost 97 pounds before pregnancy #4 and got back to my original pre-pregnancy weight before baby #1
    Pregnancy #4 gained 10 pounds.

Each pregnancy was different. With my 1st I gained weight the entire time. I was also 13 years old when I got pregnant. My second I gained in my second trimester and maintained in my 3rd trimester. My third pregnancy I gained those 4 pounds in 2 weeks in my third trimester. My current pregnancy and last baby #4 I started gaining in the beginning of my second trimester and started so far maintaining it a little over a month ago. Currently 28 weeks pregnant.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Son #1 - gained 39 lbs, the bulk of which was during my second trimester.
    Son #2 - gained 43lbs, the bulk of which was during my second trimester.
    Daughter #1 - gained 32lbs to date (4 weeks to go), didn't really start gaining until after week 24 or so, I mean I gained roughly 10lbs up until that point, but the bulk has been more recent.

Disclaimer - I have never had a weight problem, was at a health pre-pg weight with each child and lost each pregnancies weight without problems. I was always told to aim for the 25-35lb gain range and for whatever reason, just usually come in just over that.
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My first child (son) I gained 60 lbs. I was so unhealthy and gained throughout the entire pregnancy, no trimester really trumped the other as far as weight gain.

This pregnancy (also a boy) I've gained 7 lbs so far at 28weeks. I didn't end up gaining until I was about 20-22 weeks and it's slowly been sticking. I've just been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes so I don't know how much more my weight will go up because of having to be even more so strict with my diet. I predict that I'll gain 15-20 lbs total at the end.

Every one and ever pregnancy is so different, it is fun hearing about others. :) Good luck!
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I looked at the pregnancy weight gain charts and it says weeks 20 - 28 have the biggest jumps in weight. Although, for my first pregnancy it started at 18 weeks and weight went up really fast (gained 50 lbs total)! lol. With this pregnancy I'm definitely gaining, but I'm hoping to keep it slower. I'm only supposed to gain 11-20 lbs this pregnancy and I gained 8.8 at 23 weeks--worried to weigh this week!
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Well it states I was average/ normal BMI pre-pregnancy n just like the doc suggested 25-35lbs gain should be expected. I'm 34 weeks and I'm already at 35lbs. I'm trying not to let it stress me out n just enjoy the last few weeks. My goal is not to go over 40lbs... My first pregnancy I gained 35lbs n did well losing them.