Exercise Calories.

Options
I am set at 1200 calories and have 69lbs to lose, I was exercising but not eating back the calories meaning sometimes my NET calories for the day were quite low (between 500-700) I posted on the main board asking for advice and got the TDEE - 20% lecture. I worked out my BMR and TDEE and it says I should be eating 1700+ calories a day which I will find virtually impossible.

For the meantime I have decided to stick with the 1200 calories but eat back my calories from exercise so I NET 1200 daily. So say I do 350 calories worth of exercise I will eat 1550 but my NET will be 1200. Does this sound like an ok plan or should I just not eat them back?

Replies

• toni_may
    Options
    I've only been eatin mine back if I'm hungry and I've been losing on average 3lb a week so I don't see a problem with it :)
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For the meantime I have decided to stick with the 1200 calories but eat back my calories from exercise so I NET 1200 daily. So say I do 350 calories worth of exercise I will eat 1550 but my NET will be 1200. Does this sound like an ok plan or should I just not eat them back?

That's the way I understand it to work. The MFP calculations don't include your daily exercise and expect you to eat back whatever calories you burn.

The TDEE includes your weekly exercise in the total calorie estimate. So you don't eat back your exercise calories if you're using the TDEE total for your calorie goals. (It's confusing I know.)

I also agree with toni_may in listening to your body. I try to stick with the MFP expectations of eating what you burn, but I also listen to how my body feels and how late it is in the day. I try not to eat after 8pm so that my digestion doesn't interfere with my sleep. It's all about balance, but I think you're on the right track with your thinking. Good luck. :smile:
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Here is some basic information on setting calorie targets.

Calorie basics- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Exercise Calories- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

This should help explain the confusion between MFP recommendations and TDEE recommendations.