Metformin and dairy

Options
Hi All,

Has anyone else had issues with taking metformin with dairy...last night I had mine with a glass of milk and man oh man upset stomach all night and this morning..still feeling punky....wondering if anyone else had that problem?

Thanks!

Sabina

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Not having any issues myself. How long have you been on it? Metformin comes in an (XR) extended release version you might want to discuss with your doctor, if your not already taking it? May help?
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No issues here, I take mine with a huge glass of water tho
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been on it since August 2012 and I believe its the XR (I take one in the morning and one in the evening) didn't bother me till about a month ago....hmmm..maybe its just my weird body lol
  • dhgomez
    Options
    I started out on Metformin but had to change to Januvia because the Metformin gave me severe diaherra. When I did take it I always took it with a meal so it wouldn't upset my stomach.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I take mine with food. I did have issues off and on the first couple of weeks but since then it has been fine.
  • storywebber
    storywebber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I normally do not have a problem. My dr instructed me to take the metformin first then swallow food afterwards. So I take it while I am eating breakfast. Have you tried to take it with water or hot tea, ice tea or take it with food?
    Betty
  • CincyDave
    CincyDave Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but I aways drink a glass of water first before taking any medication. My doctor says it is good to have liquid in your stomach before the pills go down. Ever since I started doing that, I don't get that upset stomach feeling. You might want to give it a try.