Eating & coming in UNDER calorie goals

Options
Okay, I need tips - how are you all doing this? I see so many of you regularly coming in under your daily goals. Jaime, Heather, Lesley, Jamie, Jenny. How are you doing it so consistently? Can you share some of your foods that you are eating that fill you up without ALL the calories? I definitely need help here. Thanks!

Replies

• mbanes
    mbanes Posts: 10
    Options
    One thing that I eat is sprouted grain bread instead of the normal low fat, low calorie breads. Sprouted grain bread isn't made with any flour and it tastes just the same :) It's kept in the freezer section at stores because there are no preservatives and has a low shelf life unless it's kept frozen or refrigerated. There are a variety of 'flavors' also: rasin, oat, sesame, etc. :)
  • habright
    habright Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I almost never complete my daily journal. It's usually not intentional; I just forget. I have been paying attention to my calories but know I would be discouraged at 1200 a day which is where my goal is set. I exchange some of the calories I earn through exercise but really just try to stay around 1500 or 1600 a day. Over the long term this may not help me lose quickly but it is working for now so I'm staying there.

My go to foods to keep me full:
    eggs
    Greek yogurt
    lunchmeat (I snack on it sometimes if I'm too hungry before a meal)
    soup (homemade so I control what's in it)
    edamame
    cab sav... whoops, maybe not my best choice :)
  • tinafranksrabel
    Options
    I have split my calories for the most part into 3 meals so I am eating a much larger breakfast and lunch and smaller dinner, than what I used to. I try to drink a large glass of water before breakfast and dinner. I drink at least two large hot teas a day, no sugar or honey. I cut out the sugar mostly because after the first few days I realized that the fruit and veggies provided more sugar than I was supposed to have. I save calories for a glass of wine, if I want wine, and drink it with dinner. I am hungry in the morning because of the small dinner. This is a huge adjustment for me but I am starting to get used to it. My meals are also less processed which takes some time and effort.

foods - eggs, peppers, onions, salads with black beans, corn, avocado and chicken, fish, carrots, cauliflower, small amounts of rice and baked potatoes, bananas, apples, melons, blueberries, strawberries, broccoli, asparagus, blueberry cream cheese crepes
  • jromero04
    Options
    So I also have a hard time staying under my calories but together we can do this. I will start to make bigger portions of food at home so that I have left overs to bring for lunch at work so that I won't mucnh on all the sweets laying around the branch. Anybody know any healthy fruits, veggies or smaller things that will fill me up in between meals or even substitute a meal?
  • jaimefaulkner
    Options
    This also has been something I've dedicated a bit of time towards. In fact, it's gotten me to the point that I'm not willing to eat a bagel for example because of the caloric intake. I'm not willing to indulge in a bagel knowing I'd have to sacrifice elsewhere.

I divided my calories up over the three meals (and two snacks) to identify what my limit is for each meal. (Just like budgeting money.) Then I decided if what I was eating satisfying my hunger or if it made me hungry an hour later. Then I would modify my meals and snacks to be filling.

For example, I eat an english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. It's not the 'healthiest' breakfast, but I allot for 300 calories for breakfast. And in order to not keep munching through the morning, that's what I need. Around 10, I'll eat a clementine or banana. Lunch has to be disciplined. Bringing in my lunch has been the only way I've been successful at this. I try to keep that at 300-400. I eat some ham or a ham sandwich (with low cal bread or slimwiches), cottage cheese and an apple.

Then, if I exercise and have a reasonable dinner (500-700) I stay at or under my goal.

I have heard people who drink lots of tea, pop, coffee/lattes in particular, wine, beer, etc. struggle staying under their calories as they drink a lot of calories. I drink coffee in the morning with some light creamer (under 100 cal.) and then water the rest of the day. So maybe consider if you can consider cutting calories that you drink.

Foods I found that help me stay full are: apples and bananas (with peanut butter sometimes), cottage cheese, cheese and crackers, nuts, popcorn, eggs, protein shake (I use 1 scoop and skim milk if I do it.).
  • BekaSteele
    BekaSteele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Jaime said about calorie goals and snacks. I also try to have a set list of approved snacks to make it easy.

Here are my go to items:

Breakfast:
    Protein shake w/ fruit
    Protein shake (plain) with oatmeal

morning snack:
    energy bites - SUPER easy recipe
    eggs w/ salsa

lunch:
    in a perfect world I'd bring a delicious salad everyday - unfortunatly this is my weak point.

afternoon snack:
    I almost always have carrots & hummus - low calories & easy, I just keep a big container of each with me at work

Another thing I've found helpful is when I plan my day. When I log my breafast I go ahead a log my food until dinner, this makes me more likely to stick to what I've planned, and then it gives me plenty of time to think about what I want for dinner that will fit within my calorie goals.
  • dot23scott
    Options
    Michele, what are the brand names of the breads - sprouted grains.....
  • penrod33
    Options
    I am someone who can't have too many options. My diet is very strict. My breakfast and lunch are both simple. I have protein shakes or bars. Fruit for snack and I get to choose my dinner. It usually consist of a homemade turkey wrap, fish, chicken, or sushi. I try to limit any food that is white in color. Example: bread (regular) and potatoes.