Boosting!

Options
Hey guys. I've been doing the Leslie DVDs for the last few weeks.... I get kind of bored and wear a heart rate monitor while doing the walks.... I've started doing the boosting before the last 2 minutes just to burn more calories. I also add more arms/etc... Does anyone else do this to burn more calories or am I messing up some system for the heart rate that she has... Thoughts?

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I do that as well - make it your workout!
  • DanceGirl0309
    DanceGirl0309 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also wear a heart rate monitor when doing her videos and also can get bored in some spots. I will add arms and change some of the moves up a little bit too. Unless it is like the 4 Mile Power Walk video where she purposely slows your heart rate down and then comes back with a boost (3 times in 1 mile for 2 miles of the workout) then I don't think you would be messing anything up.
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What I've done is turn down the volume on the DVD, then turn up the volume on my CD player! I walk to some of my favorite upbeat music. Sometimes I just don't want to hear the talk, although Leslie is motivating!
  • annapcc
    Options
    Oh! I might have to get that 4 mile one.. I've been doing the 5 mile fat burning... I have the entire DVD like memorized... Usually I'll put on a show from my DVR and then play the Leslie video on mute. :-) She is motivational but when you've done the workout so many times it gets repetitive! For those of you with a HRM, how many calories do you burn during each mile? (Typically).. I burn about 100...but that's with me adding some more arms or whatever.
  • DanceGirl0309
    DanceGirl0309 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I burn around 100-125 per mile depending on what kind of mile it is (that is also with adding arms at times). I really like the 4 Mile Power Walk. It starts out slow with the first mile, but miles 2 and 3 really get my heart rate going! That video gives you 3 workout options. You can do the whole 4 miles, 2 classic miles, or 2 power miles. I haven't checked yet, but I'm assuming the classic miles are miles 1 and 4 and the power miles are miles 2 and 3.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I also add extra arm movements or do a different step if we are walking in place too long or I just want to change things up. And I also have been known to boost when things are getting a bit 'routine' or or at the middle or end of a mile to increase the intensity.

I do not have a HRM so I just use mfp's cardio 'walking' and use the approximate average of the mph of the miles to determine the speed to approximate cals burned. It worked for me. If I perceive that I didn't have a really intense w/o for some reason that day then I adjust to a lower cal burn.

Good for you in making your work outs your own.
    :flowerforyou: