The Master Cleanse Diet

Options
Diegoavi19
Diegoavi19 Posts: 11 Member
Hello guys,

Have any of you ever tried the Master Cleanse Diet which consist of lemons, maple syrup, cayenne pepper? If so what was your experience with it?

Replies

• ronboy1979
    ronboy1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Tried if once for a few days but I do not feel that I had a huge benefit from it.

Would also love to hear what anyone else has to say about it.
  • gvdoliver
    gvdoliver Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nope but tried the Gillian McKeith detox - does clear the systems but my God do not venture less then 15secs from the loo!!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it and to be honest I never will.

The only cleansing the body needs is a shower and when I hear the words "cleanse" and "detox" all I can hear far off in the distance is kerching! :laugh:

You body is designed to provide you with all the cleansing and detoxification you need. If you feel you've not been as regular as normal, try increasing your fibre content (good green veggies - not over cooked, raw celery or carrot, fresh apples, grapes, etc should do the trick) as well as your fat content and take plenty of liquids. Oh and exercise helps get things moving nicely along too. :wink:

You need to feed and nourish your body, not starve it with sugar syrup and citric acid. :huh:

But at the end of the day... it's your body and if you wanna try it, that's up to you.... but make sure you're not too far from a toilet! :sick:
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I had several friends who did it a few times per year.

I guess for some people a "cleanse" helps them to feel like they are getting a fresh start or something, but what I always observed with my friends is that it absolutely did not help them to change their habits long-term, and any weight they lost would spring right back on. Taking themselves entirely out of the normal day-to-day eating reality doesn't really seem to end up being anything but an exercise in suffering as far as I can tell. Perhaps it provides some perspective on what their normal lifestyle is like, but like I said, I have never seen any real changes or benefits come out of it.

If your goals are to create a lifestyle that allows you to lose weight/be healthy/get stronger in a sustainable and lasting way, I don't think this will help. It probably won't hurt you, but from my experience you'll be a cranky, food-obsessed pain in the butt, so don't schedule anything important!

Edit for typo.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific/medical support for "cleanses". Your body does this for you already :) Spare yourself the :sick: cayenne juice and just drink lots of water and eat lots of nutritious, fresh foods :)
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific/medical support for "cleanses". Your body does this for you already :) Spare yourself the :sick: cayenne juice and just drink lots of water and eat lots of nutritious, fresh foods :)

^this
  • SteveTeacherGuy
    SteveTeacherGuy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago and will never do it again! It was miserable. I had a headache the entire time and the salt water mixture you have to drink is HORRID! I wouldn't recommend it unless you have hours to spend in the bathroom each day.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    At least get a colonoscopy when you're finished so it will be worth it...lol
  • kdroppo
    kdroppo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific/medical support for "cleanses". Your body does this for you already :) Spare yourself the sick cayenne juice and just drink lots of water and eat lots of nutritious, fresh foods :)

^this